• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What % of farmers use PCs and Internet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % of farmers use PCs and Internet

Has there been a recent study on the percent of Canadian farmers using computers for farm management, and the percent of those using Internet?

Hi Ralph - The latest survey I can find is the Western Canadian Benchmark Survey of 1998. It was done for the Alberta Farm Business Management program by Garven and Associates. They found that 63% of those surveyed had a computer (up from 59% in 1996). Also, 34% of respondents had an Internet connection (up from 10% in 1996). This information is 2 years old but it shows the trends. Today, I believe that Internet usage is much higher than that. From the Alberta farmers I talk to, I believe that 75 or 85% have access to the Internet (either at home or at work). Anyone know of any more recent information?

Comment

Thanks Ted - Was the Garven study done on a random sample of ALL farmers in Alberta or just full-time farmers with over $100,000 in gross revenue? If the study includes part-timers, then I'm surprised that the numbers are so high.

Comment

The 1998 Western Canadian Benchmark Survey- interviewed by telephone over 250 farmers/ranchers in each of the three prairie provinces. A total of 751 interviews were completed. The target group for this survey were farmers/ranchers under age 60 earning the majority of their income from farming/ranching. The target group were considered full time farming, although, many still worked off the farm.

Comment

LOTS OF THEM

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...