• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vision and Hope

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vision and Hope

One of the themes in this room is vision and hope, of which there seems to be precious little these days. It would help if the media reported more of the success stories, but then they have to hear about them in order to do that.

Consumers need to hear some of the current controversy about where the aid dollars have ended up and perhaps those in the beef industry need to hear it as well in order to set aside any assumptions and get the straight goods.

I wonder about where our organizations are and why they aren't fighting more to have things accomplished. I know that the beef industry has done some, but in the sheep industry I have yet to hear anything that the Canadian Sheep Federation is doing in terms of trying to get the border open for lamb. I pay check off dollars there and even my provincial association has been strangely silent about letting us know what is going on.

One of the things that really concerns me is this whole deal about the bluetongue and anaplasmosis. Now, I can't believe that people really buy into the notion that if we open up the border for that, the U.S. will reciprocate and the border be opened to cattle. If there are people who do believe that, then I'd like some of whatever they are on.

As stated in another thread, bluetongue affects sheep and goats more readily than some of the other species. Now we have a fairly stable population of Big Horn Sheep and to a lesser extent Mountain Goats. This is part of our heritage and a great symbol of what Canada stands for and why people come to visit the Rockies.

What would we even consider jeopardizing them for? We need to protect the biodiversity that we so readily take for granted. I would like to see the generations of tomorrow be able to look out and see what we have been privy to all these years.

I was at a conference yesterday on biodiversity and one of the speakers was from the former Yugoslavia and he said he cannot believe what we take for granted every day. We are decimating our forested areas at a far greater pace than even the rain forest is disappearing and we seem to be looking the other way because we can make money from certain industries.

Do we need such a high standard of living that we have to destroy the richness that we have inherited and is ours to pass on to the next generation?

My vision is to leave this place a little better than what I found it, but that seems to be a bit hard at the moment. We are rich in biodiversity, but we seem to be getting poorer every day.

How do we get people to truly appreciate what we have been so blessed with?

Boy do I agree with you .Here a construction business man goes and buys all the bush land around and then clears it off because he has the equipt sitting when it is not in the oil patch. There are lots of local farmers to that just cant seem to stand to see a tree still standing. At the cost of clearing land now it will never pay back what is being spent as the good land was cleared yrs ago and the low and poor land was left but if you own I guess you do what you think best. If I remember right there was laws to deter altering water courses but now with these big track hoes they drain every sq ft. Sad but I guess enevitable.

Comment

Same thing here, some people just can’t stand to have a little bush on their land. A lot of old yard sites with nice bluffs of trees are just pushed in a pile and burnt. Lots of line fences taken out, no place for prairie chickens, rabbits, small mammals to hide. My old school teacher moved here in the early 70s because there was hardly any wind, back where he was from he said there were few trees and windy most days. Now he says that’s what it’s like here now. All these natural sloughs are drained, no bush to stop and hold snow for moisture retention for evaporation cycle. Recharging of aquifers are it seems taking years to rebuild, and or are just disappearing. I heard of a over flowing well that has been reduced to only having 3ft of water in it. Your correct in that almost all of the good land is already in production. I don’t see the benefits in clearing erosion prone land to just contribute to a cheap food policy.

Comment

I also forgot to mention it is not only the ag sector that is contributing this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...