• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Market: Correction or Crash?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this morning is any indication this would appear to just be another opportunity to back the truck up and BTFD. Nothing to see here...

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
      Unless you have 200k personal net income forget rrsp's they are a dud. Capital gains are 100% taxable inside only 50% taxable outside and 0% inside a TFSA. Gold rallied nicely today paper not lookin so hot.
      Biglentil, why the slam against RRSP's? At approx. $26,000 per year it is a drop in the bucket from a "whole portfolio" perspective. TFSA's at $50,000 is also a drop in the bucket but if you have long term savings that should be the first place to put it

Yes, capital gains don't get the break like an outside investment but I also "temporarily" deducted 100% on the way in, maybe sourced from profits through capital gains investments prior....

In moderation, after assessing one's own cash flow, level of income etc, I still feel RRSP's are a good option. I think many would spend it if they didn't contribute. For me, I have always been a good saver and contributed my allowable every year. I am in my 50's and will be strategically withdrawing larger amounts in the next few years to take a big chunk of the plan out. Part of estate and enjoyment of life planning.

Comment

Come on Errol, the money didn’t evaporate it went some where else, ( 2 sides to every trade)

Defiantly not good for stock holders.

With every new Fed Head, the correction/drop = 15% in first year

We need a good East Europe drought and to test for radiation/contamination in their food exports

Comment

Dow up 567 today so basically made up half of the loss from yesterday.

Interesting market.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
            Dow up 567 today so basically made up half of the loss from yesterday.

Interesting market.
            Computer trading. Cavuto was talking today about the percentage of total transactions that are now machine generated. Once the machine hits its number it acts. Unlike fools such as myself who wait for our losses to multiply before we pull the trigger.

Comment

This wicked global stock market volatility is likely not going away anytime soon. It may be a challenge for today’s late day Dow recovery to hold for long. To me, this heightens the risk of an incoming U.S. recession. U.S. dollar has a battle on its hands . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                This wicked global stock market volatility is likely not going away anytime soon. It may be a challenge for today’s late day Dow recovery to hold for long. To me, this heightens the risk of an incoming U.S. recession. U.S. dollar has a battle on its hands . . . .
                824 Million shares today alone... wowsers. 2nd highest for the last year was yesterday. Yahoo finance says average volume ~375M. Best leave the funny money re-arranging to the machines. In a few years, they'll be filling up our kibbles dish and water bowl before they head into work for day anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  824 Million shares today alone... wowsers. 2nd highest for the last year was yesterday. Yahoo finance says average volume ~375M. Best leave the funny money re-arranging to the machines. In a few years, they'll be filling up our kibbles dish and water bowl before they head into work for day anyway.
                  That's a disturbing thought.

Comment

Investors fled to the safety of the USD. Bahahaa

Comment

Strap-in . . . more potential U.S. stock market (global) volatility ahead. VIX shorts definitely troubled.

For what it's worth . . . tech support on Dow seen approaching 22,000 . . . but wild up days likely in store as well.

Comment

Americans are telling the pollsters that they like Trumps policies and they think their economy is strong.

Comment

Down another 1000+. 10% off the highs. Everyone chattering on business networks the last few days talking about how this is no 2008. Remember 08 took two months to find a bottom. There were hardly any bears to be found pre 08 crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                            Strap-in . . . more potential U.S. stock market (global) volatility ahead. VIX shorts definitely troubled.

For what it's worth . . . tech support on Dow seen approaching 22,000 . . . but wild up days likely in store as well.
                            Significant correction if it goes to 22,000.

Where will you be parking your money when it gets down to that level?

Comment

What is worse is the TSX. Today it is trading at levels below what it did in in the first half of 2008 before the big crash then. This reflects the reality that today's economy in Canuckistan is smaller than 10 years ago despite ENORMOUS amounts of fiscal and monetary stimulation. Future generation of Canuckistani will be poor. The noise you hear is the fat lady. It is over. Canuckistan, as Klause is discovering, is done. At least US markets attained some altitude to fall from.
                              Last edited by ajl; Feb 8, 2018, 16:02.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                                What is worse is the TSX. Today it is trading at levels below what it did in in the first half of 2008 before the big crash then. This reflects the reality that today's economy in Canuckistan is smaller than 10 years ago despite ENORMOUS amounts of fiscal and monetary stimulation. Future generation of Canuckistani will be poor. The noise you hear is the fat lady. It is over. Canuckistan, as Klause is discovering, is done. At least US markets attained some altitude to fall from.
                                Wait till the bond market starts getting skittish... Canadian gov't, just like most others, doesn't have a lot of fiscal room left to maneuver. Surely we can just lower interest rates to stimulate aggregate demand...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.