Gerald Stanley murder trial starts Monday in Battleford.

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Gerald Stanley murder trial starts Monday in Battleford.

Jan 28, 2018 | 15:37 1 It looks like this trial is beginning this week.
SK racial tensions are going to be a national story.


http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/huge-pool-750-people-summoned-potential-jurors-colten-boushie-1.4504633

Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2018 | 16:02 2 Hopefully cool heads prevail ...
http://www.cbc.ca/1.4506553 Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 28, 2018 | 17:40 3 So..... The Reno Lee trial doesn't warrant the same attention? One of the three co-accused looks pretty Caucasian. And the deceased looks First Nations. When it's more race on race(predominantly same race)it's different?

There will be no "winners" because there can't be...too many lives negatively affected.

If anything, the light shed these crisis should be used to come up with solutions.
Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 28, 2018 at 17:43.
Reply With Quote
GDR
Jan 28, 2018 | 19:42 4
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
So..... The Reno Lee trial doesn't warrant the same attention? One of the three co-accused looks pretty Caucasian. And the deceased looks First Nations. When it's more race on race(predominantly same race)it's different?

There will be no "winners" because there can't be...too many lives negatively affected.

If anything, the light shed these crisis should be used to come up with solutions.
I think there is a difference here cause both sides on the Lee case I beleive are similar class people (drug dealers) The Stanley case is about a White well to do man vs a young first nations fellow that never was given a chance in a life that didn't involve crime! (at least that's the spin on things) Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 28, 2018 | 19:58 5 Name:  lady-justice-legal-law.jpg
Views: 3181
Size:  84.1 KB

In the eyes of the law everyone is equal...note the blindfold.

Race or wealth SHOULD have no bearing.

Only the scales of justice to weigh the facts. Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2018 | 20:04 6 Both are tragedies, both young men are deceased, they may or may not have had a chance on life. I also feel sorry for farmers who are frequented by robbers and I am very glad we don't live in an area where people are crawling around your yard and buildings all night. Farmers need a few big pitbulls to patrol like people keep in their yards in Mexico. Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2018 | 21:48 7 Hopefully all the facts are presented clearly and 100% of the truth comes out.
It seems to me there have been contradictions in stories of the four remaining trespassers as to why they entered the farmers yard so I will try to listen to the reports to figure out the story line.


I do think the media will be very biased and will not get all the facts to the viewers on TV/radio....hopefully am wrong and pleasantly surprised. Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 00:00 8 I beg to differ on the young man without a chance baloney. My God if others had those opportunities wow.

But that's the spin onwverything now. It s sad no one has the courage to step up and tell it like it is. Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 09:11 9 It was a disturbing case. The trial should bring out the facts.

What was also disturbing was the reaction from many rural residents who posted online comments supporting the use of deadly force against First Nations who commit property crimes. And also the posts of photos of farmers carrying guns in their trucks and tractors.

A Rural councilor resigned over his racists posts.

The obvious racism of the social media reaction is why it has become a national story.

Just to measure the racism, consider the case of the non first nation rancher in Saskatchewan who was convicted of stealing loads of farm equipment. Hardly a mention on social media or Agriville.

In the case of the rancher, no one was calling for farmers to arm themselves against their sketchy white neighbors and shoot first ask questions later.
Last edited by chuckChuck; Jan 29, 2018 at 09:17.
Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 29, 2018 | 09:44 10 I can honestly say I am not living in that environment that lead up to the tragedy. I assume the chain of events that lead to the tragedy wasn't a one-off, but the straw that broke the camel's back. As much as I hate to use the word, there is more than one victim here. Was the situation handled properly.... probably not. It will be interesting to hear what facts or even hearsay come out in court.

If repeated calls for help go unheeded or when help is given and nothing happens to perpetrators, and the next time your threatened or HARMED do you take on the vigilante roll or wait for more of the same. Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 11:08 11 http://battlefordsnow.com/article/594141/stanley-trial-set-begin-tomorrow

This trial not about racism. All parties agree . Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 13:16 12 hopefully what does come out of it is , that we are still able to protect our loved ones , at any cost . Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 13:18 13 Gerald Stanley will do jail time. Anybody who kills another person in Canada does jail time. The issue will be how long will he go to jail.
It is extremely unfortunate that the young man was killed. My gut tells me that the people in the car were not stopping in for tea and/or to deliver The Watchtower pamphlets. Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 13:25 14
Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
It was a disturbing case. The trial should bring out the facts.

What was also disturbing was the reaction from many rural residents who posted online comments supporting the use of deadly force against First Nations who commit property crimes. And also the posts of photos of farmers carrying guns in their trucks and tractors.

A Rural councilor resigned over his racists posts.

The obvious racism of the social media reaction is why it has become a national story.

Just to measure the racism, consider the case of the non first nation rancher in Saskatchewan who was convicted of stealing loads of farm equipment. Hardly a mention on social media or Agriville.

In the case of the rancher, no one was calling for farmers to arm themselves against their sketchy white neighbors and shoot first ask questions later.
Actually I recall a thread with people here outraged the tractor thief didnt get more jail time and stiffer fines. Anyways I am not sure its racist to state facts. I dont like the racial angle of this case who. Its not about race its about what you can do and what your rights are when you are threatened on your own property. Like you say facts will come out Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 13:39 15
Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
It was a disturbing case. The trial should bring out the facts.

What was also disturbing was the reaction from many rural residents who posted online comments supporting the use of deadly force against First Nations who commit property crimes. And also the posts of photos of farmers carrying guns in their trucks and tractors.

A Rural councilor resigned over his racists posts.

The obvious racism of the social media reaction is why it has become a national story.

Just to measure the racism, consider the case of the non first nation rancher in Saskatchewan who was convicted of stealing loads of farm equipment. Hardly a mention on social media or Agriville.

In the case of the rancher, no one was calling for farmers to arm themselves against their sketchy white neighbors and shoot first ask questions later.
CTV and CBC made it racial right after it happened
Last edited by caseih; Jan 29, 2018 at 13:44.
Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2018 | 13:49 16
Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
CTV and CBC made it racial right after it happened
Racism goes two ways. Trouble is, 90% of the one side raises their kids to hate the other side. Hard to get past this thing when it is perpetuated like this in a generational manner.

I have hope that once facts come out, more understanding will occur. Trouble is the media, and the side raising their kids to hate... Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 29, 2018 | 14:31 17 I am happy to see more people come to the discussion. It's the only way to shed light on the matter. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 29, 2018 | 23:09 18 Name:  AZA CARTOON.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  101.3 KB

Hmmm, the elephant in the room left and whistles past the graveyard Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 29, 2018 | 23:11 19 Name:  6a00d83452719d69e201675eaaf26b970b.jpg
Views: 2614
Size:  74.2 KB

Is it gone yet? Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 07:51 20 Many are going to learn the difference between a crime problem and racism. Each cannot be used to deter the other. Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 08:12 21
Quote Originally Posted by binthere View Post
Many are going to learn the difference between a crime problem and racism. Each cannot be used to deter the other.
Liberals make this about race. Conservatives make it about crime. My only hope is the truth is not stifled by the media. Have my doubts tho. Which of course will feed there racism bandwagon... Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 08:20 22 Headlines read “All White Jury” they should of read “No Natives showed up for jury duty” nothing like blaming the white man again!!! Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 08:28 23 Regardless of back round perps use victimisation as defense. It's the norm today from the Codiling effect. Facts from the information to obtain warrant will dispute this argument. Another highlight will be the forensic evidence lost from the mishandling of the perps vehicle. A loaded 22CAl. Rifle?? Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 08:28 24
Quote Originally Posted by BreadWinner View Post
Headlines read “All White Jury” they should of read “No Natives showed up for jury duty” nothing like blaming the white man again!!!
Now, now, there... . Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 08:29 25 Breadwinner
The defense challenged and rejected every visible first nations person which is allowed under trial rules.

You should read more than the headlines. So why did you jump to the conclusion that no natives showed up for jury duty? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 30, 2018 | 08:30 26
Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
The defense challenged and rejected every visible first nations person which is allowed under trial rules.

You should read more than the headlines. So why did you jump to the conclusion that no natives showed up for jury duty?
The Defense was allowed only 14 rejections.... out of how many prospective jurors.... there is a bit of the rest of the story. Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 08:39 27 The rest of the story is there are other impediments to first nations on the jury. The jury draw area was huge ranging up to the far north. So travel costs would rule out participation of many.

Does it make sense to have a trial where first nations people are not represented on the jury even though they make up a large percentage of the areas population? The perception by first nations will be that the justice system is stacked against them. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jan 30, 2018 | 08:41 28
Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
The defense challenged and rejected every visible first nations person which is allowed under trial rules.

You should read more than the headlines. So why did you jump to the conclusion that no natives showed up for jury duty?
The Defense was allowed only 14 rejections.... out of how many prospective jurors.... there is a bit of the rest of the story. Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 09:11 29
Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
The rest of the story is there are other impediments to first nations on the jury. The jury draw area was huge ranging up to the far north. So travel costs would rule out participation of many.

Does it make sense to have a trial where first nations people are not represented on the jury even though they make up a large percentage of the areas population? The perception by first nations will be that the justice system is stacked against them.
Is that “perception” there because there is much more to the story that what has been told ? I guess we will find out of the next few weeks . Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2018 | 09:44 30 Chuck your doing what our spun out pm is doing
You are saying that the jury is racist already before the trial has begun.

Just like the media has already sometimes concluded mr Stanley as the murderer.

No matter what comes out this was on his yard, he did not sit there waiting for a car load of people to show so he could shoot somebody.

Let the facts come out let the jury decide then all of us can make our judgements on what happenned and what the law is or maybe even needs to change to.

You should not have to sacrifice yourself or your family to protect someone who has come to your yard to do shit

If that is the case as to what has happpenned.

If they had a flat tire ad were politely asking for help and he shot someone then
Throw the book at him.

Ad my comments before it all comes out.
And hopefully it will all come out as there is a possibility it might not either the way things get stupid in courts and of course lies!! Reply With Quote