• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Sides to Every Story

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Sides to Every Story

One can't just look at anything from one perspective. Take for example a current issue taking place right here in my own county. We have an oil company looking to take 1.5 million gallons of water per year out of the hydrological system forever by pumping it down holes. The environmental experts from AB environment say that isn't a problem because it is less than 1% of the entire volume of the river. Well, that is looking at it from a very limited perspective.

We have been in a drought situation for a good 3 years now and they are telling us that this year won't be much better. 50% of the water in the north and south Saskatchewan river systems - of which the Red Deer river is a part - must go to Saskatchewan. (I think we're in for an ethical debate here because is it 50% of the historical volume of water when the treaties were signed or is it just plain 50% of the flow no matter what the year or conditions).

The other huge problem that we have is the fact that by the year 2020, there will be no new development south of Ponoka (about 40 mins north of Red Deer) because there will not be available water to support it. We are already seeing evidence of this because many of the smaller municipalities around Red Deer are asking that a pipeline system be established so that water can be diverted to these places.

Then you have to consider if we do it for one oil company, what is to stop others from coming in and asking for similar amounts?

It is extremely obvious as to whose side the environment guys are on. Under the current legislation, the oil companies are under no obligation to look at alternatives for bringing the oil out of the ground. Where does that leave our potably water?

Another boiling issue in my county is the fact that prime agricultural land is being eaten up to satisfy both urban sprawl and those "rurbanites" that want "country" living, but city conveniences. There are those that are pushing for nothing but development, but at what cost? Once the land is gone, it's gone and we'll never get it back. I'm not at all for stopping development and progress - I just think that there are alternatives that have to be explored and so far the county hasn't really looked at them - in my opinion.

What about preserving some of our "natural capital" for future use and generations? How about exploring alternatives that will help both sides to get some, if not all, of what they want? Does it have to be a win/lose scenario? The answer isn't to develop it all and then think of the consequences; it requires careful consideration from the outset. We can never know the exact consequences of our actions, but it is best to try and think of all that we can prior to acting.

How are some of the rest of you faring in your counties and municipalities?

This issue is close to home and I can think of how hard it would be to get an irrigation license out of the same river, in fact I have heard that no further licenses would be issued.

Yet every day within a quarter mile of my house 100's of barrels of salt water are pumped back into the ground. Why can't the Oil companies take this water and use it and leave potable water for better uses?

Comment

I have had dealings with the E U B and all I can say is good luck those people are thier to do the govmt dirty work as the govmt wants all the oil rev it can get so it can keep buying your votes so they set up this board of yes men and can claim they are independant Without an decent oposition in govmt industry will just keep on rolling and exporting profits to thier share holders.

Comment

That's a good question Rod. I am also wondering if things will change once the biodigesters get going to any degree as they will have heated water that is returned from the digestion process that could be used for just such a purpose. Of course, the oil companies will have to pay for it in some fashion, so they might not be so willing to jump on it, but I can see that as another income stream off of a digester.

Comment

Linda: This latest request for water diversion to pump into that formation is not the first on the Red Deer river. There is a pumping station that has been hard at work for about 5 years just west of Penhold Alta. It pumps water into the formation just east of Red Deer. I believe NCE owns this field now. It used to be Blue Range.
          Is it a good idea? Well it was for Blue Range! They managed to double production within a couple of months at which time they sold the field for $106 million! Of course what they don't tell you is they watered out a lot of wells that could have produced at lower volumes for years! Adding water isn't really about getting more overall production but about boosting it in the short term...mainly to sell out at a high price.
          While salt water injection helps, the amount of water required could never be met by the amount knocked out of the gas process. Consider a gas field? The gas is basically sitting on a salt water sea and caught between that sea and rock. To increase the pressure how much water is needed to increase the level of that sea? The field east of Red Deer is probably 25 miles by 25 miles! It takes a whole lot of water?
          All in all this whole process is about the stupidest idea that was ever thought up! If the oil company had to pay for the water it never would happen. I hope the mayor of Red Deer can get it stopped.

Comment

The water that comes from a biodigestor is very pure, I think there are plenty of good things we can do with it. Around here they are pumping the salt water back down the holes! It is just crazy for them to use good clean water for this!

Comment

Salt water is really a nuisance in the gas/oil recovery process but while the volumes pumped back down the well might look impressive it really doesn't add up to much. In fact as the water content rises in the mix eventually the well becomes uneconomical and is shut down...this is basically what they call a watered out well.
              When water is forced into the formation it tends to water out a lot of wells on the very edge of the gas pocket...which is not a good thing if you are the guy recieving the royalties!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...