• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land values in your area?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    [ATTACH]2390[/ATTACH]

Half section, $1970/ac (last June)

Imagery: April 2012 wetter years here.
    Can those potholes be "legally" Drained? Or are they dry now?

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
      Can those potholes be "legally" Drained? Or are they dry now?
      Fj....some are now disced after the drought conditions this summer. The biggest ones might be hard to drain. Trenches would be as bad if not worse than the slough. "Average years" ...the big ones would always have some water....just the way it is . Small ones...variable. Remember, imagery is 2012....pretty wet.

Comment

One individuals perception of legal drainage is most likely quite different than that of the water security agency. Without total agreement from everyone downstream there doesn't appear to be any such thing as "legal drainage". The term" Gestapo " comes to mind.

Comment

Does anyone know of land selling on a per cultivated acre basis rather than "X" dollars per acre on total titled acres?

In the above picture there is about 30 acres of sloughs...of which only in the driest of dry years would you ever hope to get them all at seeding time....and who likes seeding potholes in late June or early July just to help dry them out. Anyway....so if there is approximately 10% of the land base that can't be farmed in a timely manner...hasn't the land cost per acre just also gone up 10%?

One of the drawbacks of Ghetto farming!

What you don't see from a one dimensional satellite shot is the topography. ...it isnt super flat here. Trenches wouldn't make sense in some cases....it is what it is!

Land variablity with in a few miles can be drastic.....everywhere.

Comment

Just assessed an estate for probate. I'm executor. So much / cultivated, so much / noncultivated. By the county.
            Title searches have transfer values. 4000-4350/cult. 1500-1650/non.
            Right after that assessment Hutts paid in a excellent area 14 miles away $5k. Never been investor money here.
            Honestly thought we had plateaued. Buyers over 40 big enough and not interested in debt to 65.
            Prices I thought, had exceeded what rent could pay as %.
            Hutts bought choice parcel. But still.
            If your sure your ready and have a plan. Cash in at least some.
            Interesting side note. More capital gains foul ups out there than you would think.

Comment

WOW BP.....those numbers are just nuts

Comment

Make sure your accountant is actually working for you to save money and not working just to make sure the numbers are correct. There is a big difference.

Comment

Thanks for all the threads. I know there are so many variables that determine land values. I never heard about the comparable land values site,so will check it. I do have neighbors interested and will tender it out. I am fortunate that most of our land is in a block or within a mile. I know of 3 interested in moving onto the home quarter.

Comment

Then there's the emotional attachment to it. Or wanting that piece that an Uncle or Grandparent owned. ACman.... no kids interested in farming, or no kids interested in owning/inheriting it, or no kids.
                    Land is quite the asset, if non farming kids/beneficiaries can see past the value of it and think of it as a source of income..... but some might not need the income and might want that expensive cottage at the lake.

In some cases the owning generation, like fjlip said, lives poor and dies rich! then the beneficiaries get the payday. I guess we won't know when we're dead!

Comment

For what it's worth I did something new to me this past year. I m in a rent to own deal where I pay above normal rent but below owning the land price. That way the owner gets more cash and is in a better position tax wise down the road. I ll see how it works out in the end. But there are different ways of doing land transfers. I have a condition. Where if the owner want s to completely sell then we deduct the additional amounts I paid in excess from the price asked later. If that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                        For what it's worth I did something new to me this past year. I m in a rent to own deal where I pay above normal rent but below owning the land price. That way the owner gets more cash and is in a better position tax wise down the road. I ll see how it works out in the end. But there are different ways of doing land transfers. I have a condition. Where if the owner want s to completely sell then we deduct the additional amounts I paid in excess from the price asked later. If that makes sense.
                        I'm assuming you have first right of refusal when it sells? What's your protection from being "bid up" past a reasonable price? Is it more of a Purchase Agreement than a Rental Agreement?

Comment

I thought Big Wheels just get the secretary to cut the cheque, no problem.

Comment

This situation benefits both parties. Yes I could cut the cheque but why not have my money available to do other things at the same time benefit tax wise the owner? Honestly only time will tell if this is correct way to go.

Yes I have first refusal to purchase I have an interest declared on the title as I have money invested in the land. Should I not want to purchase I get money back when land sold. Market price determined by independent appraisal however we have an agreed maximum and agreed minimum price.

Comment

Farma, I have no kids due to being married later in life. I do have nieces and nephews,also step kids which are all in cities. I have nobody interested in taking over. If I don’t sell it will be rented out. We have all the kids in our wills for inheriting the land. I was hoping there would be a family member to take over and keep it in the family.

Comment

I have cousins with land at 5000/ac and wonder if any actually sells? How do you make that pencil out? My pencil can’t get sharp enough for those values.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.