• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To find a market

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To find a market

Our family was having a discussion last night about the decisions a lot of farmers are going to have to make financially because of BSE.One of the questions my daughter asked was ;"How much effect is BSE going to have on my 4-H calf?" Well I said " I was not sure because most business related to the beef industry will be suffering".That then brought up the question "How do you approach a business to buy a calf when times are so tough?" I told my daughter I did not really know. That`s when she came up with the ideal like the teenagers had out in Regina to support our industry.I thought that might be to excessive but on the other hand it did seem like the teenagers had more of a effect on the consumer than any of our farm groups.

What was the idea that the kids in Regina had? I'm not sure I've heard about it and knowing what it was might help us to help answer your daughter's (and many other 4-H kids) upcoming dilemma.

Comment

Headline read "Teens have beef with non-Canadian burgers" July 17 2003 Western Producer . Farm teenagers from Moose Jaw put up signs in front of fast food outlets to use Canadian beef.

Comment

Why not phone up Cargill and IBP to send over a buyer? I'm sure they would be glad to pay market price or slightly less? After all isn't 4H supposed to teach kids the reality of the beef business?

Comment

I'm not so sure that the 4-H kids would fall into that category, cowman. Yes, there are many things they are supposed to learn in 4-H and the realities of the business are but one of them.

My take on it would be that those who purchase the calves don't necessarily look at the current market conditions. Case in point would be that the BSE problem surfaced last year right about the time that all of the sales were going on. While the prices might not have been the highest they've ever been, they weren't as bad as some were expecting either.

Almost a year later I have no idea what the prices would be, but I would hazard a guess they would be better than what they would get if they went to Cargill. Surely to goodness we can support these young kids in a more favorable manner.

Comment

Cakadu you are right the prices were very good.Back then the local ag-business had not been effected by BSE.I would imagine that to be a different story now.Other than the farm chore responsibilities,4-H teaches the kids certain aspects of publis speaking, bookkeeping to name just a few. More it allows them to learn how a meeting is ran and to work with other people.As for asking the packing plant the 4-H club did.They offered to buy the calves at 70 cents per lb June 1 /2003. Thankfully some local feedlots stepped up to purchase the calves at a bottom price of 85 cents per lb. The kids do need to learn about the business of farming. But when the kids become 16 and drive 40 miles one way to work for McDonald`s or Walmart that will be reality!

Comment

Cakadu you are right the prices were very good.Back then the local ag-business had not been effected by BSE.I would imagine that to be a different story now.Other than the farm chore responsibilities,4-H teaches the kids certain aspects of publis speaking, bookkeeping to name just a few. More it allows them to learn how a meeting is ran and to work with other people.As for asking the packing plant the 4-H club did.They offered to buy the calves at 70 cents per lb June 1 /2003. Thankfully some local feedlots stepped up to purchase the calves at a bottom price of 85 cents per lb. The kids do need to learn about the business of farming. But when the kids become 16 and drive 40 miles one way to work for McDonald`s or Walmart that will be reality!

Comment

My kids went to 4H also and they found out that those parents that spent the most money or was best conected in the comunity got the best price for thier calves. Try explayning why someone else got 10or 20 cents a # more for poorer calves when they are feeling bad about selling thier calves, I was glad when they packed it up because they learn the harsh reality of relitivity and how to ly and cheat soon enough

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...