• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belinda light

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belinda light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Belinda light
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the stakes for Conservatives now that the Liberals have dropped precipitously in the polls, the free ride Belinda Stronach has thus far enjoyed should end. Far from being the victim of sexism as was alleged when she first entered the Tory leadership race, Stronach has benefited from kid-glove treatment; even acerbic Winnipeg talk-show host Charles Adler admitted that if he treated her like other potential pols, he'd be accused of beating up on Bambi. Exactly. But Stronach is a 37-year-old professional who wants to be prime minister, so it's overdue to subject her to serious critiques.

In Sunday's Conservative leadership debates, Stronach again argued that her political inexperience actually makes her fit to be prime minister. "I am not a professional politician. This makes me the only candidate who can still see things from a citizen's perspective," said the $12-million salaried daughter of entrepreneur Frank Stronach.

Well, given that she didn't start from scratch like her father, one doubts Belinda can relate to the hockey dad at Tim Hortons. Moreover, if the rest of us applied the Stronach argument to say, applying for a job at Magna International, not on the basis of our experience at running such an enterprise, but precisely because we have none, we could all expect to be promoted to the executive suite in short order.

Aside from the silliness of the claim that zero political experience makes one more qualified to run the gauntlet of prime ministerial politics, that Stronach is in the race is mostly positive. She has added new members to the Conservative party, though given her Quebec strategy, one hopes her new members are in fact alive and paying their own membership dues.

But as for her second attempt to distinguish herself from Tony Clement and Stephen Harper, as in when she argued Sunday that the leadership race should be about "who has the ideas," well, that standard will also undercut Stronach.

Stronach's campaign has thus far been mostly about sizzle, not steak, and that's entirely by design. When in Vancouver last month, did her campaign send her to that city's toughest talk-show hosts? Nope. Her handlers dumped her off at a high-ratings rock station where the music jocks were not likely to probe Stronach's views on say, monetary policy, judicial activism, or defence and security policy in an age of terror.

Moreover, when it comes to her thoughts on critical matters and on ones which have no practical barriers to implementation unlike Senate reform, Stronach's answers are evasive.

When asked whether Canadian troops should have fought in Iraq, she told Toronto media last month that "I would have been supportive of the (American) decision, but there are many ways to be supportive."

When pressed, Stronach responded that "I am not an expert on the military." Few people are, but it's not too much to ask a prospective leader to give some sober thought to her own (and Canada's) position on how to combat terror, our response to dictators, and an alliance (or not) with the Americans in a recent war.

Stronach's Sunday debate answer was similarly evasive.

Similarly, when Vancouver Province columnist Jim McNulty recently asked Stronach about the prospect of off-shore drilling on the West Coast, Stronach responded with another squish answer: "I think business and the environmentalists need to sit down together and find a solution where we focus on wealth and job creation, but not at the expense of the environment . . ."

She went on to respond with similar have-it-both-ways answers on fish farming and private medical clinics.

To be fair, any political candidate running for almost anything has a ready stash of bromides, cliches, pat answers and preprogrammed responses, and that includes Harper and Clement. But the infrequency of such flippancy in a candidate is directly related first, to his depth of thought on issues and second, to his political experience. The more they have of those two, the less likely the audience is likely to be treated to a pastiche of consultant-speak.

Mark Milke is the author of Tax Me I'm Canadian. ====

So far the media is ignoring the fact that Stronach father and daughter were some of the major financial backers of the campaign to end the spring bear hunt in Ontario, and have been well known for giving big bucks to other animal rights causes over the years.

Comment

I find the prospect of Belinda becoming leader a real problem? The way the Conservative party was set up could allow her to steal the leadership and essentially destroy what might become a viable party? Quite frankly if she becomes leader I think the party is finished? At least in the west?
      I have no doubt she is a very smart woman but consider what she is? Part of the eastern power elite. Would she have the faintest inkling of what the common man might need? Especially in Western Canada?
      I find some of her platforms rather disturbing? Trickle down economics with more tax cuts to Corporate Canada? She says people should vote for her because she is not a professional politician but has met a payroll!! Yes she met the payroll, but Daddy signed the checks!
      I believe Stephen Harper is a good choice as he seems to have a head on his shoulders, but he also has had some problems saying dumb things at times? Tony Clement would also be very capable but maybe lacks the charisma?

Comment

Harper is an idiot like the rest of them.He lost my vote when he said he wasn't going to let "some FARMER" from Sask stop the merger of the two parties.He also blew it in the east when he questioned the work ethic of Easterners.

On election day I am not going to waste time going to town to vote.There is simply no one worth voting for.

Comment

Countryguy, I am not usually one to support apathy and will generally try to get people to go out and do something, even if for no other reason than to be able to complain later on. No vote, no complaining is my philosophy.

Sadly though you may very well be too right this time. Who is there to run the country? Reform/Alliance couldn't cut it on their own, so they went back to a historical party to try and gain the credibility they so sorely need. What choices do we have there for a leader, let alone becoming PM?

Jack Layton of the NDP is almost non-existant in terms of doing anything.

Where is the Rhino party when you need them?

Comment

Cakadu,I hope I am not sounding like a holistic freak already but I feel what we need in this country is the "Holistic Party of Canada."A party that:

1)Does not treat one part of the country any different than the other parts
            2)Looks at the country as a whole and when presented with a problem actually studies the problem and comes up with a SOLUTION to the problem,not just throws bandaid solutions at it
            3)Actually cares about running the country,not just the big fat mp pension that the current polititions go into politics for-the mp pension in my eyes is the cause of ALL our political problems in Canada

If there was a party out there with at least these 3 credentials I would go out and vote in a heartbeat!Heck,I may even consider being involved in it.Until then I think it's just a waste of time.At least this way I won't have to complain everyday about why I voted for one of these gong show parties

Comment

Actually, Countryguy, you don't sound like a holistic freak, but that is a good way -- to look at the whole picture. To determine just what will be affected and how it will be affected and develop solutions that best deal with all of those possibilities.

Who looks at all possibilities or do they just do what is best for their own pocketbooks and themselves?

After all, that plumb diplomatic position doesn't come to us ordinary folk.

Comment

While agreeing the three National partys are fairly poor, I think what a person needs to do is consider your local candidates? We hear how little a backbencher can do and that is true to a certain extent. But most people would be surprized by what they can do? Have some sort of problem with a government department? Phone your MP...you might be surprized what he can find out and accomplish.
                Hopefully Martin is serious when he talks about the "Democratic deficit" and giving back power to the MPs. If this happens your MP might actually be able to do more...and then it becomes critical to vote in a good hardworking person?
                Apathy is a creeping problem that needs to be addressed. We, the people, do have the power to change the system but we aren't! And it is getting worse!
                So my suggestion is go out to the debates, listen to what the candidates are saying, and vote for the one you think will try the hardest(think of it as a job interview...you are hiring and paying this person!). Don't be overly concerned with which party the candidate is running for.

Comment

You also have to get involved in Leader Selection. See what each Leadership candidates policies are being put forward and hope that they will carry out these policies. Do not only look at how the candidate looks on camera and how smoothly they answer the questions as these traits become improved with time. The television or radio talk hosts can rip any of us apart in a second and yet we all feel we can run the Government better than it is run now. I will not vote for a person who runs down Farmers and who seems he has to say he was born and raised in the east but makes his living in the west. It is time to stop this east vs west crap and start supporting one country with a diversity of strengths. Belinda gets my vote. Her face still turns red when she is embarrassed-and you know what-mine does too.

Comment

Ramond Quote: "It is time to stop this east vs west crap and start supporting one country with a diversity of strengths.".... Go tell them that down east!

Sounds great in theory people but has never been the case in Canada. I got a call from Belinda's people the other day asking for my support.
                    This is what I told them.
                    "When I hear Belinda say in public that regardless of who wins, she will run for a seat, and she and her backers will continue to support the party and its leader %100 even if he is from the west!" " Then and only then, would I consider supporting her." The responce from the caller was..."thank you sir,good bye."

So don't hold your breath.

It is time we understand something. After Diefenbaker, Preston and Stockwell Day it is perfectly clear...if the east does'nt control it they will not support it!

Comment

I don't know - give more power to the elected officials sounds good in theory, but doesn't necessarily cut it in practice. More than once we have seen this espoused only to have the issue of the day come up and the veiled threat of the leader - support me or else. What ever happened to representing the views of your constituents, no matter what?

I'm not convinced that Martin wants to change anything. Look at this touring the country on his "I am mad" tour and then look at the "penalties" meted out to the men from the 3 crown corporations fingered in the sponsorship scandal. Two he suspends without pay - great - they were suspended from last Tuesday until today and if they can come up with a plausible reason why they should not be fired, they could have their jobs back within days. Now let me see, 5 days on a $250,000/yr salary is a real punishment. The other has his pay until he is investigated some more. Come on.

For me, the Reform/Alliance/PC MP's lost just about all of their credibility when they voted to have their pensions increased (and take them) after they realized that they were going to be there for the magic "6 years" in order to get a pension.

I think they go there with the best of intentions and get sucked into that vortex known as Ottawa.

Mr. Conned is right - we have not heard Belinda say anything about what she will do if defeated. This isn't a case of getting to start out at the top and a bored ex-housewife needing something to do.

Comment

In the U.S., congressmen and women and Senators will often vote against party lines. There is only one reason for this! It is because of the power given to the people through initiative, referendom and RECALL.
                        A representative cannot afford to coast.
                        With our system, we in Western Canada are really only onlookers. Serfs in our colonial system!

Comment

Linda in case you never noticed all the other parties are lined up at the pension trough? Human nature is human nature. It is a rare person who will work for less than the next guy out of the goodness of their heart? So yes, they are politicians...what can you expect?
                          Like Ivebinconned I am a totally convinced seperatist, but we also live in the world? We make the most of the situation? Sure I hope someday Albertans and westerners will see the light but that isn't happening right now so what can you do? I can't force raymond or Linda or anyone else to get with the program?
                          Now I frankly don't care whether Belinda or Tony or Steven get elected Conservative leader. I have come to the conclusion that my own Conservative MP is basically a dud, but I don't know who else is running for the Liberals or NDP. I've never voted Liberal or NDP in my life, but I might consider it if the candidates are interesting. I usually vote for radical types but I don't know if we have any of those either?

Comment

Cowman - yes they are what they are, however one of the loudest drums that the Reform beat when they first came in was we don't want the pension, the fancy house etc., etc., etc. and then it all changed - it wasn't a big surprise. For the record, it didn't surprise me at all.

I am still of the opinion that you operate with integrity - not just some of the time, but all of the time. Will that have me finishing last - maybe, but at least I will still be able to look at myself in the mirror every day and that is far more important to me than any amount of money, power or prestige will ever be.

I think there is a lot of truth to the adage that "politics corrupts."

Comment

"Politics corrupts"...without a doubt! We send of these good enthusiastic people, who believe they can do some good, and we get back a cynical person who is just in it for a fat paycheque. I sometimes think the worst thing you can do in the world is vote for somebody.
                              That isn't to say there aren't people who can rise above it all, but they are rare indeed? I do believe my old former MP(later luitenant governor) Gordon Towers was a man of integrity and truly not in it for the buck? William Aberhart(Alberta premier) died a pauper, and I suspect Tommy Douglas was a man of integrity, although I can already hear the screams of protest on that statement. I might not have agreed with what he believed in but I can respect his belief and his committment and his honesty?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...