• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian Duty On Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Duty On Peas

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	777777
    The Canadian pea industry was shocked Wednesday morning to wake up to a notice from India declaring a 50% tax on pea imports to the country, says a post on producer.com.
    “This sort of moves us beyond even where India has been before in pulse import duties.… More than a decade ago we were at 10%. So to sort of move to the maximum allowable for peas under WTO rules has surprised us all,” said Gordon Bacon, chief executive officer of Pulse Canada.
    “That is a very horrible news for us as exporters…. India is our biggest buyer of pulses, of peas. So if India doesn’t want to buy, where will our yellow peas go?” said Meiyun Li, general manager with ADM Ag Industries in Saskatoon.
    The Indian government imposed the tax due to pulses falling below the government-set support level in the local market, according to Reuters.

Wow maybe its time the Sask pulse and Even our Federal Gov started thinking about Canadian Farmers and not pissing money all over the world or looking at our Socks and actually gov a country.

Its time to Grow up MR Pm.

He's too busy riding around on his winged unicorn throwing money around from the pot of gold he found at the end of the rainbow....and trying make demands and holding China hostage in trade deals....

Comment

Well even our pea growers association and the people running . Im worried why different people didn't run.

Furrow didn't you run a guy like you would of been excellent to be on their board or even some one from the Rac group who actually does trials.

I agree Viper i think does more damage than good some years.

Comment

produce more for less and less and less.

Comment

My dad went to a meeting way back in the day the Mexican told him to grow lots of lentils and we will by them cheapy cheap. Sad times ahead!!

Comment

BigZ I agree the ugly years are starting to show up again.

Games will be played and we will loose money because the farmer always gets the shaft.

Comment

I realize India is our biggest market but not the only world market.

If Canada goes off the market completely can the other exporting nations supply the rest of the world markets?

How long can India go if nobody in the world will sell to them at these prices?

Comment

They are finding ways to support their farmers.....this is one way to ensure their product are produced at home....

I don't begrudge them for that but I do wish our government would recognize the impact to 5 or 6 constituencies in western Canada. ...and the 10000 farmers it impacts....

As has been said before ...we can't continue to grow more for less...it's unsustainable. ...

The replacement for peas and lentils in the rotation is what?

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                  I realize India is our biggest market but not the only world market.

If Canada goes off the market completely can the other exporting nations supply the rest of the world markets?

How long can India go if nobody in the world will sell to them at these prices?
                  India is becoming completely self reliant.... Thus no need for imports.

Kazakstan and the rest of the FSU have been ramping up pulse production like crazy... As has Argentina when it comes to chickpeas and peas. With India off the table those areas could fill our gap.

Comment

The lesson here is how much a country values their farmers....India does....Canada not so much....

Comment

Thanks Klause;
                      If India puts more land into pulses will they have enough other crops to satisfy demand or will they be short of something else? Are they totally self sufficient in all crops?

Comment

They will be when they make farming lucrative enough for people to want to do it there.....

Look at what the FSU has done....it's not by the luck of the weather .....they are investing heavily in agriculture and transportation infrastructure. ....

Anyone in the world with half a brain can see it works and it's a wealth creator and productive....

Trudeau who has never worked a day in his life doesn't understand the simplest things.....

Third world status here we come....as the world laughs at us ....while Trudeau refills his trust fund.....

Comment

I read India is also putting a 20% tariff/duty on wheat.

Not sure how much wheat India buys from Canada in an average year.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                            I read India is also putting a 20% tariff/duty on wheat.

Not sure how much wheat India buys from Canada in an average year.
                            Zero....India actually has a few times over the last few years been a next exporter of wheat.

Comment

It's all good and fair.....they have decided it's better to keep the money at home feed their billions of people....

I wonder where that protectionist attitude came from....

When they have billions to feed its easier to do it yourself. ..

35 million Canadians don't make a lot of difference in the scheme of things ....consumption wise.

27 million are born every year in India. ..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.