• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For cattle guys

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For cattle guys

Click image for larger version

Name:	23031473_377028972752610_1070421118741073175_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	777774

lol

With no rain last summer most people got about half as much hay as usual, now it keeps snowing almost looks like it's going to be six months of feeding cows.

I had better start looking for a semi load or two of barley and baton down the hatches.

Comment

Around here hay at 3 to 4 cents/# and not ,moving/got most of last yr hay yet lots of people could use but truckers want way tom much to move it. There is lots of poor hay also, still feed but moving it to costly.

Comment

Guys are wanting 10 cents a pound down here, it's better off to sell the cows at that price

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
          With no rain last summer most people got about half as much hay as usual, now it keeps snowing almost looks like it's going to be six months of feeding cows.

I had better start looking for a semi load or two of barley and baton down the hatches.
          How long do you normally feed for since most years for us it starts anytime now and runs till May long weekend or so. We've been selling good first cut for $.04 /lb picked up and the guy is selling it south of Calgary for $.08 or so. At that price you could buy oats and feed that instead.

Although I'm feeding only bales right now and is it easy and quick alongside silage, grain, and moving feedboxes......

Comment

I'm about 70 KM south of Bell Plain Sk. I'm thinking I usually start feeding cows in December, the snow is very soft and it won't take much wind to bare of a lot grazing area and we usually get a fair amount of it, I've been busy finding water for cows so I haven't had time to fix fences around the hay fields yet.

We did have an open herd law a few years ago and it started November 15th, it was usually good to run the cows for at least a month and a half, getting closer to Christmas was pretty average to start feeding cows.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
              I'm about 70 KM south of Bell Plain Sk. I'm thinking I usually start feeding cows in December, the snow is very soft and it won't take much wind to bare of a lot grazing area and we usually get a fair amount of it, I've been busy finding water for cows so I haven't had time to fix fences around the hay fields yet.

We did have an open herd law a few years ago and it started November 15th, it was usually good to run the cows for at least a month and a half, getting closer to Christmas was pretty average to start feeding cows.
              That's interesting. Here in mid-western Ontario, I'm happy if we can graze through October. This year is the latest I've not had to feed because of the extremely warm, wet fall we've had. Our cows will be snipping grass for another week or two.

One of the biggest problems in this country is the hoof damage that they do when the weather turns wet like it has lately. We're down to just a few cows now, but they are even making mud around the salt and water trough. When we were at full stocking levels, it was disastrous in the fall and spring. Guys that have rough land and hills maybe don't get that as bad but our grazing ground is all flat crop land.

I don't miss that mud at all.

Comment

Most years lately it's been mid Dec. Some years later. This year we have been partial feeding on stubble to stretch it as we already used the fall grazing to get us to weaning. Went from one of the best early grass years to one of the worst fall grass years with only one rain of decent size between mid June and Sept. . With the dump of snow we got its full on winter now so bumped things up to full feed for them at this point no sense to let them get out of condition. Going to be a long winter feeding, good thing for irrigated feed and the fact we snuck a third cut of hay off the hay pivot this fall at the wire.
                Last edited by mcfarms; Nov 4, 2017, 06:35.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.