• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combines

When talking combines I see sieve capacity is most often mentioned as a limitation but for me with my Case combines it is mostly rotor loss in canola. Anyone see the same or is it just something I do?

Our Massey it's rotor loss. Claas it's sieves.

Comment

What are you calling exceptiable loss?
      We are usually at half b/a in canola with the 9870..
      This yr with dry conditions it was up to 3/4 bu/a..
      Pods were tuff..rotor at 700 knocked it out..concave at 30...

Comment

Partners that excellent, most newer Deers and Cases were 5 x that until checked properly.

Comment

If I throw a sq foot pan under the combine right in the middle with the spinners on and I get about a gram of seed. I know I should take the spinners off an catch everything in a tray to get accurate number. I have done a kill stop and can always find seed mixed up with straw at the back of the rotor cage and nothing at the back of the chaffer and the loss monitor shows the same.

Comment

If I use the pami grain loss calculator and that works out to 1.9 bu

Comment

Jd clinic told us rotor at 750.
              Better separation..to slow just augers it out.

Comment

We have are rotor running at 600 so should try faster but you here of over thrashing all the time. I also notice that when the humidity goes up so does the rotor loss.

Comment

The big 2 seem to think only HP matter to farmers.

Yes I think a few cracks is better than rotor loss. Remember when looking in a pan or at the ground that cracks might not be coming off the rotor but off the chopper.
                  Last edited by biglentil; Sep 30, 2017, 00:42.

Comment

get that rotor spinning if there is loss in tough conditions.

rotor(s) fast as possible without cracking

Comment

Most challenging year we have had setting combines. I wonder sometimes about the bushels of canola that got lost out there this year with the just "set it like a always do and go" attitudes. No word of a lie we saw losses change by 10 bushels per acre in canola, same fields, same varieties, same day...different conditions. Unbelievable but I know it happened. My guess 75% of guys would have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyFarmer View Post
                        Most challenging year we have had setting combines. I wonder sometimes about the bushels of canola that got lost out there this year with the just "set it like a always do and go" attitudes. No word of a lie we saw losses change by 10 bushels per acre in canola, same fields, same varieties, same day...different conditions. Unbelievable but I know it happened. My guess 75% of guys would have no idea.
                        agreed . . hardest year ever . we were doing a really high yielding canola crop yesterday and got losses with a class 8 combine down from 1.25 bu to half a bushel by slowing from 3.7 mph to 3 mph . this is an 8120 case with bigger sieves than most class 8 combines . I was really shocked we had to go that slow in a 30 ft swath . there will be a lot of canola volunteering next year . this is the most checking we have ever done Behind the combine .

Comment

We calibrate yield monitors over a scale and it's amazing when watching yield drop as speed increases. It doesn't take much of an increase to start loosing product. We run NHs and have to say I'm very with how little loss they have. This was different though with the warmer conditions. Last yr combined 58 canola with very little volunteer growing, but conditions were a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                            We calibrate yield monitors over a scale and it's amazing when watching yield drop as speed increases. It doesn't take much of an increase to start loosing product. We run NHs and have to say I'm very with how little loss they have. This was different though with the warmer conditions. Last yr combined 58 canola with very little volunteer growing, but conditions were a lot better.
                            we have been through that big lentil with an 8010 case . problem is yield monitors work different at different speeds . we were slowing down and yield was shooting up , but used a weigh wagon and there was zero difference that year . only way to know for sure is to flip that chopper back , throw a net under and weigh the resultsa. those yield monitors have to be calibrated for the speed you're travelling .
                            Last edited by caseih; Oct 1, 2017, 07:33.

Comment

Very true CaseIh. It gives the false impression that yield goes up by slowing down. Its like driving down the hiway while watching fuel economy numbers spike up when you let off the gas. It takes a good 20 seconds for the higher grain volume created at higher speed to work its way through. Using the yield monitor to set a combine is a very tricky undertaking. Its easy to misread the results. It can often appear that less wind also improves yield. Let it equalize.
                              Last edited by biglentil; Oct 1, 2017, 11:14.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.