• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall spraying, "early".

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall spraying, "early".

We desiccate our peas with a diquat product so need to go back and clean up afew thistles (Canada and Perennial Sow). Ever notice that after a fall frost those damn Sow Thistles turn a purplish color...and it doesn't take much. They are a nice green now but spraying this early will miss any winter annuals and other weeds(night flowering catchfly, narrow leaf hawksbeard, etc) that germinate if it ever does rain.

There isn't even that much to kill but it is a good time to get a handle on them. I suppose, or hope, that even after the first frost if you just sprayed days ahead of it the plant would be triggered to push the chem to the roots... for sow thistle, maybe better than waiting until after the first frost? Diquat applied about a month and a half ago and have some decent regrowth to target. Any thoughts?

As always , last field sprayed is the best. Better after frost

Comment

It's only too late if there's snow on the weeds. I keep pushing the time frame later and later. Blows my mind but working for me, here. 2 years ago it was dump a tank or spray it cuz next day the snow was coming. I could see the line where I stopped the following spring. Go with what works for you.

Comment

Some of the sow are in the bud and early flower stage. Seems dandelion and sow thistle foliage is alot more tender and susceptible to frost(damage?) than Canada thistle.

Comment

I've never seen much difference in weed control from dessication in early sept, to when I spray the last field in October. The only thing that may concern me is poor weed growth since harvest with it being so dry.

Comment

I've got a few patches of Canada thistle, toadflax, and foxtail. They look sick all on their own with the heat and wind... Have decided I'll only spray if it rains. Good God it's dry. Massive grass fire south of here last night. Entire southern horizon was orange/red at 4:00 this am. You could see the flames billowing up into the smoke plumes. Strong wind out of the south till it switched to the north. We NEED a rain!

Comment

Originally posted by Wheatking View Post
              I've never seen much difference in weed control from dessication in early sept, to when I spray the last field in October. The only thing that may concern me is poor weed growth since harvest with it being so dry.
              agreed , the dry is more of a factor this fall . wait for rain , it will come

Comment

All sprayed in crop every year and very little after harvest. Even the willows that get sprayed in fall die for next year. Late fall does some but not very effective.
                Now i am waiting to spray my seed peas and barley fields after this rain event in about a week. Then kelly all canola and don't spray with RR.

Comment

Have had good luck post harvest spraying. Wonder on canola stubble if it's going to wheat how much 24d I need for good residual? Got talked into using Heat once and not worth a shit next season

Comment

Would you guys spray in 40k winds with no rain for the last 30 days....on a cool day like today....

The BTO has 220 feet of booms going today....I don't get it......

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Would you guys spray in 40k winds with no rain for the last 30 days....on a cool day like today....

The BTO has 220 feet of booms going today....I don't get it......
                      gotta go, gotta go, when your a bto

Comment

$500,000 go go cart can't stop, or fields are filthy polluted?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.