• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat timing .... spraying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat timing .... spraying

Going back to S/f post on spraying wheat on the green side and a local wana be bto with the same opinion on how the rest of us don't know how plants grow .... lol
    Well , I did an experiment.
    Sprayed when I normally do , not near as green as that , on a 1/2 section . We started seeding the 1/2 section got half done then had a 4 day delay with rain in early May . So spraying I did the outside rounds which were split also 4 days at seeding . I sprayed the earlier side and seen the definite difference in maturity. Waited 4 days and finished spraying when it matured more .
    Combined the rest today and did the outside rounds on the later seeded stuff .
    Well , 10 bus we lost on that outside 200 ft . I knew it was on the green side when I did it but thought time will tell. It did . It was not as green as S/f posted or what the local wana be bto did at all.
    So yes it makes a huge difference to spray on the greenish side .
    Still a #1 but not near as nice as proper labeled timing of round up which we normally do .
    Anyway , just thought I would share
    When we do yield maps I will post them.
    I guess some can give yield away just to get er done ...
    there is a reason why the timing is on the labels btw.
    Sorry S/f not picking on you but your wrong on what you think or been told .

I think all you greediest that use roundup as a desiccant so you can get over more acres, and buy more green combines to enflate your egos should be required to have a dose of roundup in your coffee every morning.Sooner or later the consumer is going to demand an end to it.

Comment

Thanks Furrow, knew that but same as locals cutting canola with out proper color change ...you give up yield for hurry up. A cost to cutting corners, off label use.

Comment

Well horse when we get paid for not spraying round up I will have no issue swathing again whatsoever or leave it till dry on its own .
        If there becomes a premium for non sprayed wheat , or a discount for spraying it I will change no problem with that at all.
        All the hype on this issue needs to translate into reality.
        Make it worth while not to do it when done properly. It obvious farmers only hurt themselves by spraying to early but spraying by label 99% of the time is still an overall benefit to quality and productivity on farms .
        Green combines not allowed on this farm lol

Comment

I hear circus theme music in my head when I think about how we farm.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Comment

Furrow i said 80% of the field was at the proper colour and the 20% needed to be pushed and actually it was way riper than the picture looked. When you opened the seed up the seed was already at the stage you could just put a dint with finger nail. Thats ready to spray.

Yea the comment on not spraying vs spraying and swathing to green vs waiting. When they pay extra for non sprayed wheat ill buy more swathers and play that game. One local on malt barley sprays and here is his results 1 in 5 he gets accepted. Vs the rest 4 in five for malt. You put on bag if sprayed or not. Oats some mills don't want it some mills take it. But i bet if the crop was so small and nothing was available they would take it.
              Yes spraying at correct time is critical. Im still spraying wheat as last two sections are just at perfect time.

We always on Canola start some fields a little on the early side so we can get to the end of Canola swathing just as its almost to late to swath. We'll that has been changed now with strait cut varieties. Last 6 quarters are Strait cut and like since they came out years ago its keep the swather and swath at 95% colour change. No more starting early to sacrifice those fields so can get over all the fields.

Sell the swather what a funny option.

Comment

Ok gotcha , I hear what you are saying now lol
                I do about the same 80-90% ready and giver .
                I agree with the swather thing , I would not hesitate to go buy anouther used swather to cut the wheat down if warranted

Comment

I agree if they want wheat that is prone to sprouts from lying on the ground ill swath in front of the combine again. In our area and yours you cant wait till its totally ready like Assinaboia etc. We don't have natural desiccation where the plants just shuts down and its ready to go. When RR came in it took our farm to a whole new level. Easy harvest Good grade even crop maturity and no spoilage from green kernels. Oh how i hated strait cutting back then.

Also we were harvesting in October in most years with that method.

So sell the swather ha ill buy a few more if thats whats coming.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    Funny you say that, I often hear the same circus music when I think about how I farm! This must be some kind of common thought proces when farming does not go as planned, which it never does. The greater the deviation from the original plan, the louder and faster the circus music.

Furrow is correct, follow label instructions. Every has to make their living the way they know how. If you want to spray once or 10 times is entirely up to the farmer. Just keep spraying to control the weeds. Some of the lentil crops around here sure could have used a couple extra passes of spray. They should be asking long term lentil growers what they use. My older farm helper asked me to slow down so we could figure out what crop was in the field. Usually a person can identify a lentil crop. There is going to be kochia, wild oats, hawks beard and sow thistle for generations on those fields. Im curious about yeild reduction from competition. Probably a non issue. It is incredible, they make the organic guys look like complete amateurs. It must pay well because their weed bank just got a big deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                      Funny you say that, I often hear the same circus music when I think about how I farm! This must be some kind of common thought proces when farming does not go as planned, which it never does. The greater the deviation from the original plan, the louder and faster the circus music.

Furrow is correct, follow label instructions. Every has to make their living the way they know how. If you want to spray once or 10 times is entirely up to the farmer. Just keep spraying to control the weeds. Some of the lentil crops around here sure could have used a couple extra passes of spray. They should be asking long term lentil growers what they use. My older farm helper asked me to slow down so we could figure out what crop was in the field. Usually a person can identify a lentil crop. There is going to be kochia, wild oats, hawks beard and sow thistle for generations on those fields. Im curious about yeild reduction from competition. Probably a non issue. It is incredible, they make the organic guys look like complete amateurs. It must pay well because their weed bank just got a big deposit.

Long-term lentil growing will be a thing of the past soon with soybeans coming up the ranks. 28 years of lentils can definitely increase weed population, but lentils saved our sraca. Long live the lowly lentil! A few weeds ain't all bad. A smattering of wild mustard kept our heavy stands up and gave the lentils something to climb on.

Right now I am looking for a politician who can bring some Chinese investors to the farm so we can cover it with irrigation pivots? No more droughts for us! La-la-la-la

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Long-term lentil growing will be a thing of the past soon with soybeans coming up the ranks. 28 years of lentils can definitely increase weed population, but lentils saved our sraca. Long live the lowly lentil! A few weeds ain't all bad. A smattering of wild mustard kept our heavy stands up and gave the lentils something to climb on.

Right now I am looking for a politician who can bring some Chinese investors to the farm so we can cover it with irrigation pivots? No more droughts for us! La-la-la-la
                        Soooooo.....its ok for lentils if it looks like you made the attempt to spray because economically it saved a lot of farms. I can respect that.

What about the organic guy after 10 years that grows 650 net lbs/ acre hemp @ $1.75/ pound followed by 108 bu/acre milling oats on hemp stubble with 1.6% dockage contracted and sold for $7.25/ bushel or the irganic guy that grows 70 bu/acre malt barley selling direct to malt plant for $ 10.50/bushel fob farm?
                        "Around here" there is a pocket of organic farmers who do this. You should hear the ******* in the coffee shop. They dont believe it. I will never forget I was at a church tea one time, a table full of farmers. They were most agreeable that "you cant grow a crop without fertilizer and spray. You need to spray otherwise your just fertilizing the weeds."
                        That was the best summary about farming I ever heard. So awesome!!
                        Anybody gets their panties in a knot about weeds, come and talk to me about it I am cool with that. Klause is just thinking independantly. He unfortunately posted it on AV. Organic or not, Im pretty sure he is onto something, but it will take some independant thinking and planning. I still say add more fertilizer, one extra pass of gly, 2 fungicide to your canola on canola stubble next year and you will do just as well as all the racket about organic farming. That science is working all aound here. I have undisputedly the biggest and Most productive farms in Sask all around me. They are fricking excellent and the proof is in the bins/bags/elevators, land rent and purchase prices.
                        Stay the course, dont get distracted by a handful of deviants. If organic farming was so profitable everybody would be doing it.

Comment

If you think beans will grow where lentils do you're gonna learn a lesson real hard and real fast.

Even around Humboldt I doubt any of the new bean growers will have a 20 but crop. And lots of fields sub 10.

Comment

new bean grower beside us doesn't look like he will get seed back, 7 weeks here no rain , zero

Comment

Some huge bean and lentil fields between Regina and Moose Jaw won't make chicken feed (or much else). Surprised there aren't any comments on the Stats Can report.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.