• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another combine parts story

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checkout Shoup, Sloan express websites. Usually just wear items, belts, sprockets, augers, chains.

No duty, only gst. No problem if you bring it across yourself.

I understand Shoup is now shipping direct to you in Canada. Not sure how quick that is.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      The sodomy is getting unreal. I would like to tell this whole Industry to go **** themselves.
      Stay the course. Hug your retailer. There are no options.

Comment

....time to open a wrecking yard?
        Done. All power units are 1980-1983 vintage. You would laugh driving past this farm.

Comment

Sieves/Chaffers - never used to wear out, now a regular maintenance item

Comment

Our new super star local dealer has parts issues with Supply.

Go in ask for something as simple as DEF in big bulk tote. Its fall you would think they would have one, Know it will be here friday. Ordered on Monday.

Needed fingers for pickup reel. Its a common plastic finger they didn't have it arrived wednesday.

WTF do us farmers now have to carry a full parts supply for our combines.

Yea new and big really works.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinger View Post
              Dealership margins on equipment have shrunk in the last few years in order to get as much new equipment out there as possible. Once you buy the iron they know they have you on the hook for a majority of the parts you will need to buy over that machines life cycle. Hence the high margin.

Other side of the coin, there are lot of parts that most dealers have to sit on for years at a time. The cost of holding those and letting them depreciate or become outdated isn't cheap.
              I assume dealerships have the ability to ship unwanted parts back to the central warehouses(with in a reasonable time frame, not after decades).

An old baler buzzer that was probably $30 twenty years ago is now $100 with twenty years of accumulated dust on the package its in. Appreciation. Computer inventory makes price increases easy, nothing is priced with a sticker anymore.

And this "we don't have it but can get it here in two days or 5 days from the U.S. gets old real fast. Or for an extra $"X" we can put a rush on it.

Best thing to do is try and fix the iron before the busy season and try getting the parts from the US like one fellow suggested and then only deal with the local STEALERSHIPS on an emergency basis.

Comment

Crooked ****ers should be in jail. I bought alternator yesterday from case 597.00 just looking on Internet can get the same from Shoup parts in the states for 97 dollars what a ripoff in canada. What really pisses me off is that this is the third reman at in just over a year so there was no warranty on the last one.

Comment

Another update just pulled my bill from last Aug and realized I paid 170 dollars more this year for the same thing what a ****in joke.

Comment

We bought a Wilson alternator from 1st stop in humboldt for 179..John deere wanted 550 for theirs...

Comment

I assume dealerships have the ability to ship unwanted parts back to the central warehouses(with in a reasonable time frame, not after decades).

An old baler buzzer that was probably $30 twenty years ago is now $100 with twenty years of accumulated dust on the package its in. Appreciation. Computer inventory makes price increases easy, nothing is priced with a sticker anymore.

And this "we don't have it but can get it here in two days or 5 days from the U.S. gets old real fast. Or for an extra $"X" we can put a rush on it.

Best thing to do is try and fix the iron before the busy season and try getting the parts from the US like one fellow suggested and then only deal with the local STEALERSHIPS on an emergency basis.
                      For shipping back to warehouse that might be the case but even that has a cost to it. Let's buy $10,000 worth of parts that never sell and then pay to ship them back. Never mind the freight, the tied up capital would be the biggest issue. $10,000 is probably on the light side too more likely $100,000 per dealership.

On the parts not in store front, not sure how big your dealers parts rooms are but when you look at the amount of parts they would need to keep to avoid this entirely it would be a tough one. They do need to get better at stocking more common parts especially during harvest. We all know stuff is gonna break, have it when it does.

Comment

They shouldn't even make it to jail. These stealerships have a million excuses why prices are where they are. I was told they are told where to set the prices by the companies. Ya good one!!
                        If you can't afford to buy new, fix your junk and we will royally screw you on parts.
                        I have had trouble with DEF on one of my combines. My dealer wanted me to put a delete kit in. I said no way. I paid to have a working DEF, now you want me to buy a kit from you so you don't have to keep coming out to fix whatever the problem is? There's 5 year warranty on DEF, but the company won't pay the stealerships mileage to come out, TOO FN BAD!!
                        Now my second combine is having DEF issues.
                        Get your ass out boys.
                        Bend over take it like a man, every part of the ag industry is screwing us.
                        Good friend of my dads who used to own a dealership once told him you would be astonished at what we make on parts as a percentage. Sorry that's nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinger View Post
                          For shipping back to warehouse that might be the case but even that has a cost to it. Let's buy $10,000 worth of parts that never sell and then pay to ship them back. Never mind the freight, the tied up capital would be the biggest issue. $10,000 is probably on the light side too more likely $100,000 per dealership.

On the parts not in store front, not sure how big your dealers parts rooms are but when you look at the amount of parts they would need to keep to avoid this entirely it would be a tough one. They do need to get better at stocking more common parts especially during harvest. We all know stuff is gonna break, have it when it does.
                          Keeping a good stock of parts does have a cost for sure. I wish though for sake of cost and availability that some brands would use commonly available components like bearings, hydraulics, and belts etc. Case in point some brands will go as far as using say char-Lynn hydraulic motors but get them to put a brand specific number on the motor when it is already a common motor. Sure there are parts that are strictly for ag equipment but marking up common source components and making it hard to cross them up is captive supply. What it appears is they buy common source stuff mark it up at corporate level, dealer buys it and many times its marked up again.

Comment

Kinger....even 100K seems light to me

Comment

Not just equipment dealers. Putting in pinion bearings in 1/2 ton. Dodge uses Nsk (Japanese) bearings. Last set lasted 15k KM. So wanted SKF.

Japan bearings from Dodge were $600
                              SKF from bearing supplier were $150. Will see how long they last.

Comment

The average westward type dealer would easily have 250k+ in parts on hand. A dealership 750k. But if they don't want to stock it have a better distribution system.

For hydraulics we used to go to Tetris or hypower. Brothers hydraulic pump on his haybine went and he got the exact pump, just not painted red for half the money.

Also rarely go to a stealership for starters and alternator if I can avoid it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.