• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with green peas ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with green peas ??

Green pea price still sucks . The crop will be 1/2 of last year and most of the greens left in field will be closer to 10% bleach than under 5% .
    We have good peas , less than 2% bleach from last year and would like to move them . The buyers must know there is going to be a big shortage of good quality greens but are keeping their foot on farmers throats on price . How long should a guy hold good greens ? Feb ?
    Or will the price stay below yellows ?
    This is a fricken joke . Like getting paid $1 / bus less for malt than feed barley , in fact it's the exact same thing .
    Tiered of dancing to this quality green pea b/S where the buyers demand exceptional quality but will not fukin pay for it .
    Sorry , my rant for the day

Every single thing we buy as farmers that is "top quality " we pay through the nose for , but buyers of all commodities try to steal at every turn . It's part of the game but it has become ridiculous lately

Comment

Grean peas go to the middle east and they grow them too. When they have good crops they dont need to import. Thats why the price is shitty. Greens and yellows are 2 different markets and there is huge demand for yellows and only greens if they are exceptional quality. Its like growing malt after all the drinkers switch to wine.

Comment

Good point , I am just sick and tiered if trying exceptionally hard to grow high quality grain for peanuts 🥜

Comment

Problem is green peas look bullish but today demand is not there. Have to hold them into winter.

Yellow peas from Russia right now are about $6/bu when you reflect the prices back to Canadian grower. It's an issue. They are filling Indian demand.

USA is mainly green peas and light crop. This will take time but today the trade has nowhere to go with green peas. So if trade cant sell it what price do they go long at? Same story for last 12 months though and growers backed acres off.

Lots of crops have this issue though. Red lentils are scary. Very limited business on the books vs last year. And competing countries like Australia have been eating our lunch. Not much Canadian trade can do about it.

Comment

Don't wait sell now there's a big crop looming. Trade says average to above average. Even dry areas are experiencing big surprises from what I've been told.
            Prices may slump further take some profit now before she gone.

Comment

Hahaha well if there is a big crop of peas there must be one hell of a wheat canary canola and lentil crop.

Here s some news on green peas they have had a disaster in many other countries but I guess maybe in the USA where the wheat has fried the peas have thrived.

Good grief!! We can't win can we no wonder why. Is somebody handing out money so people say these stupid *** things??? Honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                Hahaha well if there is a big crop of peas there must be one hell of a wheat canary canola and lentil crop.

Here s some news on green peas they have had a disaster in many other countries but I guess maybe in the USA where the wheat has fried the peas have thrived.

Good grief!! We can't win can we no wonder why. Is somebody handing out money so people say these stupid *** things??? Honestly.

I should be filthy rich then!

Comment

Yellows are supposedly doing 60-80 here.

Which seems odd considering they were saying 20-40 last week. First few fields must have been burnt out and crappy.

But farmers seem happy and surprised they're yielding that well now. Haven't heard many yields of greens but they were in that 50-60 range.
                  Last edited by Blaithin; Aug 15, 2017, 22:51.

Comment

What happenned to them? I heard yellows were doing a 100 and greens 90?

Saskpartyfarmer were you not being truthful about the drought? Hahahaha

For all you nonfarmer ag people the drought was a big conspiracy there is a bumper crop coming honestly!!

Comment

Yea its a Big F$%King crop all right.

Our Yellows look and have a stand for 50 plus and over the scale so far 40 is all we can squeak out. They are small and no one that i know has anything over 45 even in the Banana Belt of Indian head.

Comment

Greens lost premium to yellows in 2015. Used to grow Danto greens. When they were dry they were still the size of garden peas. Buyer said they looked beautiful. Price-same as every other variety
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	SK pea prices.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	765945

Comment

Worst. Drought. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                            Worst. Drought. Ever.
                            only in a small enough area that the 60's will more than make up for 20's...

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                              Yea its a Big F$%King crop all right.

Our Yellows look and have a stand for 50 plus and over the scale so far 40 is all we can squeak out. They are small and no one that i know has anything over 45 even in the Banana Belt of Indian head.
                              That's Terrible SK3. 40 bushel crop. 2015 my red lentils went 3-5 bu per acre. That is a drought. 40 bushel per acre is above the long term average. 10% greater then average. Worst. Drought. Ever? I find it incredible that peas yielded that well considering lack of rain. All subsoil but i find that amazing as well.

No one is over 45? reality was last year was the biggest pea crop ever and it averaged 43.

Serious question. What do you hope for when you are planning your seeding and what is your long term pea average

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.