• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the new classes of wheat. ..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the new classes of wheat. ..

How will the new classes be priced and segregated at the elevator?

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    How will the new classes be priced and segregated at the elevator?
    I was thinking if I grew Lillian because sawfly was becoming a problem and I tested it for falling number and it met or exceeded the minimum CWRS class specs..... does it really matter which class it is in?

Unless these varieties had notoriously low falling numbers.

Comment

Pricing for CNHR looks like about 10% less than CWRS.
      Export shipments of #2 CWRS can have a working tolerance of up to 5.4% of wheat of other classes that will blend. So as long as the CNHR(the old CWRS varieties anyway) wouldn't throw the CWRS out of spec for gluten strength it will likely get blended into the ship and sent on its way for a tidy profit.

Comment

Our current system isn't set up to segregate more classes of wheat.....it's a bulk system....who thinks this shit up..?

Comment

The people left on their own to screw us think this up!!!!
          It's only human nature if there isn't any checks and bounds why wouldn't they unless of course they had some integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            The people left on their own to screw us think this up!!!!
            It's only human nature if there isn't any checks and bounds why wouldn't they unless of course they had some integrity.
            If I were to grow CNHR Lillian because of agronomic benefits and I tested it and it met or exceeded the minimum standards for the CWRS class. Then made my buyers aware......that isn't integrity? I just wish they treated me the same.

How much CWRW, at lower value, do you think is blended into CWRS at the terminals? Expect CNHR to be treated the same!

And bucket is absolutely right....its a bulk handling system....how many different bins of different classes and grades within those classes can they store seperate?
            Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 28, 2017, 08:19.

Comment

If it turns out there isn't much CNHR in an elevator's gathering area they likely wouldn't start a bin.
              If specs are good millers might be the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                Pricing for CNHR looks like about 10% less than CWRS.
                Export shipments of #2 CWRS can have a working tolerance of up to 5.4% of wheat of other classes that will blend. So as long as the CNHR(the old CWRS varieties anyway) wouldn't throw the CWRS out of spec for gluten strength it will likely get blended into the ship and sent on its way for a tidy profit.
                Mills are being picky on it mostly due to low gluten strength in CHNR.

It'll likely be all treated as a seperate product until it hits the port terminals. Then either shipped as a "other grade" or blended off into something else.

Same thing happens with winter wheat.

Comment

Never seem one of those gluten testing machines at the elevator. ...

Don't remember anyone worrying about gluten when developing new varieties.....

And I thought low gluten wheat should command a premium.....

For humour only....but it's worth thinking about

Comment

we have 6 grades at our local elevator and often depends how harvest starts new segregations not available may be started. high protein high sceenings for instance.

basically 4 milling grades hard1 hard2 apw and asw there all protein determined and minimumtest weight and screenings.

then agp Australian general purpose and feed1

at port there are the full 9 grades

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Never seem one of those gluten testing machines at the elevator. ...

Don't remember anyone worrying about gluten when developing new varieties.....

And I thought low gluten wheat should command a premium.....

For humour only....but it's worth thinking about
                      Sorry gluten strength is likely the wrong word.

Basically RS makes really good bread that hold together well.

Everything else makes lower quality bread that doesn't hold together.

Comes down to how good of dough and thus bread they can make with it.

Then again I don't know anything bout making bread so take it at face value.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinger View Post
                        Sorry gluten strength is likely the wrong word.

Basically RS makes really good bread that hold together well.

Everything else makes lower quality bread that doesn't hold together.

Comes down to how good of dough and thus bread they can make with it.

Then again I don't know anything bout making bread so take it at face value.
                        That last comment was priceless.

So falling number then instead of gluten strength? ...but I thought they were kind of synonymous?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          That last comment was priceless.

So falling number then instead of gluten strength? ...but I thought they were kind of synonymous?
                          No two dif issues. FN is indication of sprouting and enzyme activity. Gluten is the elasticity of dough.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, it really comes down to what the grain creates as a finished product.

Good bread sells for more dollars than bad bread.

RS makes good bread

CPS, CNHR, etc make lower quality bread.

Hence the discount.

If it's going into feed market, I honestly have no clue which is better.

Segregation wise, it'll be a different bin. Same as canola and beans. Might be some blending but no one wants to put a load of Faller in a bin of red spring accidentally. Wouldn't be much fun.

This is likely an oversimplification but hey it's Friday.
                            Last edited by Kinger; Jul 28, 2017, 16:39.

Comment

Sort of like when the dumbass dumped canola on flax at the elevator.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.