• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Report WC Alberta, worse than I expected

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop Report WC Alberta, worse than I expected

I thought this area, west of Highway 2, and roughly Red Deer to Olds was amongst the garden spots this year. But after a few tours, apparently I'm not alone in having some ugly stands and drownouts etc.

Wheat is the one crop that looks good almost without exception, if you ignore all the flooded out spots, what survived the water all looks thick and healthy. I suspect there are more acres this year than in recent years too. Keep in mind that out here quite a bit of this will be CPS wheat.

Barley. Low spots are awful( including entire fields), hills are suffering. The good ground in between looks good. Some very late barley, not headed yet, but looks better than early. Must have been seeded after combining? I'd say much fewer acres of barley.

Canola. A few very good fields ( what would have been average in previous years). Many fields are shutting down/finished flowering, perhaps a bit early for out here. What surprised me, is a lot of canola is finished flowering and is 1 to 2 feet tall, never seen that before. Can see dirt through, can see rows. I didn't get out to look, so not sure what the cause is, the heat, or the wet earlier, disease. Not isolated areas, but every 3 or 4 feild. Lots of holes in most fields, bugs. Some of my canola stands are full of giant holes from a combination of flea beetles, being too wet, flea beetles, buried too deep and flea beetles. I have some canola that is already slowing down flowering, and some other patches are still green, barely started flowering yet as they attempt to recover from the flea beetles. Will make for another interesting harvest. Didn't go looking for blanks from all the heat elsewhere, there are a few blanks on my own though.

Peas, Saw one tremendous field, a lot of drowned out patches on nearly every field.

Faba beans: Drove by the best stand of Faba's I've ever seen yesterday, and that's the only field I've seen. They sure like the wet weather.

Corn seems to be loving all the heat and moisture, looks real good, and no significant drownouts like most years.

Pastures look brown already in a lot of places. Hay crops were/are very good and good weather for most, good second cut coming for most.

Many thousands of acres unseeded, still some unharvested, I've heard of two separate reports of harvesting lately. Lots of last years crop still standing in the middle of this years crop. Ruts everywhere from spraying.

All in all, less acres due to crop out and too wet, and nothing looks near as good as the past few years, except wheat.

East of Red deer Alberta5. A good example of acreage loss is my one of my barley fields. Land was slated for peas was too wet early on. Seeded this field last to barley. About 152 seeded acres. Sprayed fungicide on the good parts only 112 acres sprayed rest wasn't worth it.

Comment

Agree AB5, lots of poor crops out there. Our little area too wet at seeding and ground baked since. Not a write off by any means but not what were used too. Really can see the variability in the land quality, holes all over the place that are half the height of the surrounding crop.

South of olds needs a rain, pastures are hurting, second cuts will be poor at best. North has got quite a bit more moisture (and hail)

Rain this week would make a huge difference still would make average, if nothing next couple weeks might be scary.

Comment

East of Olds is ok. If you go far enough to get past the bits nailed by those big pool ball sized hail a couple weeks ago. Where I'm at is holding on, mainly because of some miracle 4" rain that parked itself over us one night. A couple miles further east and near Trochu they were lucky to get .5" from the same system.

I seen one shoddy canola field out near Pine Lake but for the most part they're looking good. I swear the stuff behind my house is five feet tall or more. Need to get a photo of it.

Pastures are probably the worst. Even with the 4", if they were grazed too hard in the first heat wave they haven't come back well after the rain unfortunately.

Anyone get hit with the hail yesterday? Was in your area I believe, Hamloc?

Comment

Thanks for the update it's great to get a farm prospective.

Heading that way for family member wedding. Will see then.

Comment

Hope this is enough to fill a hopper.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.