• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9962.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	777627

Well this week was the week we needed the second inch to grow a awesome crop. After the rain events of friday that got to 5 miles from our yard then sat 3 miles and then sunday 6 miles and finally monday night it hit the yard. Not the one inch we needed but couple tenths. Last night the weather warnings fizzled and hit SE and Manitoba with Lotto Max. Heat is back on today.

On Political front our Useless PM is traveling again all over the place. He gave a Terrorist 10.5 Million but Canadians who fought in wars for Canada they get a kick in the head. I hope the USA Widow nails the Useless Canadian for all the Money. Some law firm in Canada should do a pro Bono like Edmonton and take him on.

Every day i shake my head how Canada is going Backwards.

Friday Crop Report.

HRS Is still doing very well and the roots are growing real nice and deep. Using up the excess water from last 15 years. Dig up a plant and wash roots its amazing how far they can go down. We will probably be spraying for Fusarium on our HRS but only on fields that look to make top yields. This will depend on next weeks weather as most is just starting to head. So far wheat in our area is a 9 out of 10.

Name:	IMG_9926.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	777628

Barley is doing real good also and will get a fungicide probably by monday or Friday at the earliest. Heads are starting to form. Not as thick as last year but still looks good so far. Few days like yesterday and shit is going to go down hill fast. Its the wind that is going to kill our crops this year. 8 out of 10.

Name:	IMG_9946.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	777630

Peas are all over the map. Yes my Viper probably hurt some 300 acres they are yellow and not nice. Rest are doing ok and one is Awesome. Over all 7 out of 10.

Name:	IMG_9949.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	777631

Flax in our area started out awesome then the spraying took place and thinned it out i think because most are not like other years. Early fields are starting to bloom yesterday.

Soy in our area looks like a 9 out of 10 on most fields. Some fields are still a 5 out of 10 or less. New guy on Redlands are best around.

Canola we are finishing today the last of the Liberty double pass. Lots and lots of weeds coming under crop glad were doing two pass and heat is working well with liberty. Wind is only issue.
    Shitty early canola fields are starting to look better but not sure why first seeded is worst and last is best. Go figure. Most in area are starting to flower or Cabbage real big right now. Last fields I'm spraying are close to bolting today should just get them done in time.

Over all the Canola in our area is a 8 out of 10 but that number can drop real fast if the heat and wind continues. Some early flowering was aborting yesterday. Maybe the later seeded will do better as heat might settle down next week.

Pastures and hay crops are doing ok. Lots of guys having issues with Alfalfa weevil. Pastures fertilized really did good after the 1.5 in two week ago rain.

So far our area is doing not bad but like i stated earlier we are living off of last 15 years excess moisture that is all. Roots on established crops are going down. Little canola plants just popping out of the ground will die with the heat so should only be one crop the first that came up. Weed issues will be really really bad in Canola and peas and some wheat and barley fields as some sprayed real early and never looked back.

Rms need to do a better job fixing roads now that were into a dryer pattern. But most are cash strapped or broke to do any thing. Yesterday i had a scary day as main road broke away as i was crossing a grade. You want to talk shitting your pants as you slide into the water and just have to ride it down and stop. Good thing i slowed down for a car. Only damage was steps on sprayer my pride. She was going over. So yes it could of been worse maybe repairs are needed to the road system.

So yes showers are developing from long lake on but this year they are funny rains. looks like a Lotto max if you get the right ones. Radar fools you to think its a big storm so must never make the ground in some cases. Shitty spots in fields will start showing up this next week if heat continues and wind. ( OH THAT F&%King WIND) If it goes for two more weeks lots of damage province wide. This shit show is just starting a great crop can be taken away by mother nature real fast and it looks like she's stepping up her game.

Have a safe week and remember its only a crop and the ones at home are way more important than it.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Jul 6, 2017, 12:53.

For some reason the program only allows 5 pictures.

Canola

Name:	IMG_9930.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	765661

Spaying will take place in our area for disease next week maybe not as much as other years but yes some will get its shot of fungicide.

Name:	IMG_9964.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	765662

So what are others seeing in their area and how long can they go without rain before it starts going backwards. Were two weeks away from big problems now if the heat they are predicting and wind continue.

Total rain so far 1.75 since spring with excess last 15 or more.

Comment

Maybe some of the guys in the real drought areas should post their pictures becaus the ones you post don't match the complaining and winery. If you re worried about not getting 60 canola again I m not sure there is a lot of sympathy. Although with today's land and equipment prices maybe 60 is required every year? But I can make a go on less.

Comment

Big wheel in the flood years i posted my shit show and how acres were lost due to flooding how we spent some years 160 acre fields only to be flooded and harvest only 100. Its farming i had 15 to 17 wrecks or shit shows from flooding. Dry is a part of saskatchewan it always was and always will be the excess rains of the last few years made some dry areas rich in farming and some good areas poor from flooding.

Yes our area is doing ok for now but honestly if we get the next week highs in the 30s and wind crops will go backwards you don't have to be a road scholar to not know that.

So no I'm not complaining just posting a crop report like i have for every single year since i joined this group. Tell us about your area thats what its meant to do show what is happening in sask. The province and Feds always bullshit and tell the world every thing is awesome. F$%K the year we froze first week of August they all brushed it off as no problem and that pissed me off. Crops stunk they froze so hard and never came back. Its like drought wheat in SD a crop heading at 6 in tall is not going to make much more that a shit show crop.

So again in the shitty last years i always posted what was happening in our area with floods and lots laughed its not that bad well it was.

Drought or Floods suck but its farming. So tell it like it is and don't criticize its a farmers crop report.

Comment

Well I have such a variance between crop areas that a picture of one bad field can be countered with a good one somewhere else. And a shower this afternoon can make the bad one look better than the good one a week from now and vide versa with no rain. I ve had to lower my over all expectations on canola due to heat and flowering
          Flax looks very good
          Wheat looks very good
          Durum is good
          Barley some troubled areas but not bad
          Beans are awesome
          Lentils are doing very well considering
          A bad start.
          Faba beans are doing good
          Chick peas are not doing very good
          Mustard will be money maker for sure.

My concern is for those folks in areas where you can just now tell for sure that canola was seeded there or any crop it s that dry and late in some areas. Others will Be struggling for hay no doubt but I do think there will be some crops greenfeed bound due to being not much stand or froze which will cause s problem also. Also for those that couldn't seed at all the 100 program appears to not be 100 at all which who can keep going with that? And as case mentioned the 100 will go against your experience discount???? Wasn't the 100 a real disaster program initially? Your exalted leader is turning the disaster program into a disaster itself to save a few dollars and kick farmers when they are down. I don't hear you saying too much about that.

Like to hear your weather posts but it may just be me but you come across as though it's the end of your crop when it sure doesn't look like it and no where near what other folks are experiencing.
          It would help if you maybe lent a hand to make the point for those suffering much worse than you.
          Do you think the programs are adequate for those other people?
          Last edited by the big wheel; Jul 6, 2017, 06:48.

Comment

Lets just say this year is looking much more like 2015 than 2016 for us.

2015 wasn't good and could have been worse (heaven forbid).

Our main goal now is to stop spending money on a crop with limited potential. A guy right beside us sprayed a fungicide on peas yesterday. ..what the **** for is beyond me.

I have wheat that is pretty much past the fusarium fungicide stage.

We are going to make a bit more money by not spending anymore that wouldn't pay back! Under the circumstances how would spending anymore money on this crop grow any more bushels or plump up whats there when the limiting factor is "moisture"......the free stuff.
            Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 6, 2017, 07:41.

Comment

Umm I did tell it like it is.

I agree the rm roads are getting bad in places. Lucky you never got hurt with the sprayer incident. But that will be fixed with the increase in taxes coming right??? To the farmer

Have you used the 100 before? How do they deduct because I can't get a straight answer from them? Only have a few acres but not far from the one area I farm there are significant acres not seeded or seeded and flooded out those folks will be in tough.

Comment

Yes all gov programs do shit all. They give you enough rope so you don't hang your self. Private insurance this year will show if it's good or just another shit show.

I agree with one statement a shower can make a huge difference in a dry year,

But you have to agree with me the next two weeks if the weather pattern stays the same huge damage will happen?

Comment

Yes there will be crop loss If it stays dry the next two weeks those with subsoil will do better than those without

The tax on insurance and land will help farmers in this tough time as our money this year will pay for those costs next year.

Comment

SF3.... because we were able to seed earlier than you, we here are now living that dream! Consider your statement if you had seeded a week or two earlier like we did. And the fact that we got decent crop establishment proves going early was better than waiting here, in some cases the longer you waited the worse it got. Who the **** knows what is going to happen, so you do what you've always done in the past, especially if it always worked, and hope for the best. This year isn't the "best" here!

Comment

Sf3 you've got more moisture on those wheat leaves than we've had all year. Those plants don't look like their hurting either, pretty nice crops. By the end of next week there will be not much left for crops in saskatchewan if the forecast holds up. The guys that got it in into flooded acres are struggling from no root systems and unhealthy root systems from lack of soil oxygen. The guys that managed to get it in ok are going to be burnt out. Lots of foliage like yours sf3 will require tons of moisture to produce seed, but you did say you got a half inch in the last few days and your ground is good and shaded so you might be ok for the heat wave.

Comment

We are taking a tour across the south part of province and down to Shelby Montana friday/saturday. Will report though we've heard that it's not pretty. SF3, those crops look great. There's always hope. That ellusive low will show up one day.

Thanx for the pictures.

Comment

If the two week forecast happens and no rain we're all F$&ked.

Liberty two pass all done! Now have to decide to spray fungicide or not.

Comment

Went to Ritche Bros Rouleau yard today from the slum of the Ghetto to Rouleau the best crops were lentils. Some nice canola fields but bad ones in both areas. Some nice cereals too. Flax crops seem thin no matter where you go.

Guys here started spraying liquid wax with their fungicides to prevent wilting in this heat!

Comment

Flax is thin in most area.

Heat warning already issued for next two days in SW.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.