• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spraying?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9797.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	777617

Yesterday looked like the second week of june in our area every single sprayer was going. First real good day for spraying. Plants are bigger than i would like them to be but WTF can you do when it blows constantly this year. Must be trudeau talking so much down east causing a draft out west.

Every single farmer in our area was going yesterday. It didn't matter if it was wheat barley oats or canola. Most of the flax and peas are done. Second app on Canola is starting. Few good days like yesterday and most would be caught up.

Oh wait today and tomorrows forecast 30 to 60 Km or greater. If you missed yesterday it was a good day.

Done! Twisted the last half section of flax yesterday.

I could be hard to justify fungicide apps this year. Not sopping wet here this morning either. As long as the ground surface stays dry and the "canopy"(ya right what canopy) is more dry than wet.... why bother. Save the money and buy land!

Comment

Farmaholic, I agree about not spraying fungicide. I told my dealer a couple weeks ago that there was a pretty small chance of spraying. He kind of looked shocked. I then said we aren't into excess moisture and the wind blows hard everyday to dry out the canopy, so it will be tough to see a return in that situation.

His shed is half full of fungicide.

Comment

We are in the same dry boat here. I find it very hard to see how the cost of a fungicide would even warrant it at all. We have had nothing but a few showers for a month followed by consistent winds , same as some of you.

Comment

It's about humidity. ...if you are not wiping the windshield good chance the crop canopy isn't wet either....but guys spray it anyway....if this weather doesn't get some rain into the forecast I can't see a ROI on the fungicide ....losing bushels everyday now.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            It's about humidity. ...if you are not wiping the windshield good chance the crop canopy isn't wet either....but guys spray it anyway....if this weather doesn't get some rain into the forecast I can't see a ROI on the fungicide ....losing bushels everyday now.
            Everyone will save their durum crop in our area this year from fusarium with 2-3 passes of fungicide... if weather stays the way it is, so will the guy who leaves his sprayer parked in the yard.

Was 94° with a 20-30mph chinook breeze and full sunshine yesterday. Moisture is 1"+ below the surface, and daytime humidity is sub 30% rising to mid 70% by sunrise. Unless those conditions change the snake oil can stay in the retailers shed as far as im concerned.

With no meaningful moisture in the 2 week forecast im just not willing to throw any more cash at this crop.

Comment

Today i have our fungicide ordered but not delivered. The dealer knows its a 50/50 shot its going on as of today. End of next week and no change 25/75 and after that no need to bring home. Ground is dry wind is their every day and dew ha ha wTF is that this year. Frost on windows now thats a different story some mornings.

Comment

Only ever sprayed "fun"gicide,with herbicide,...must be a good location in SK...sprayer can't do that anyway. Postharvest been great, fields whistle clean...happy here...what ever germed has enough subsoil for average crop here...rain might take more away.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	765637
                Last edited by fjlip; Jun 27, 2017, 17:23.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                  Only ever sprayed "fun"gicide,with herbicide,...must be a good location in SK...sprayer can't do that anyway. Postharvest been great, fields whistle clean...happy here...what ever germed has enough subsoil for average crop here...rain might take more away.
                  [ATTACH]1625[/ATTACH]
                  fyi wheat pays every year canola maybe 50/50

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                    fyi wheat pays every year canola maybe 50/50
                    Agreed. Even in dry years I think it pays on wheat. Malt too. Canola not convinced. Hate feeding the Chem companies but leave some check a trips and it's pretty easy to justify.

I haven't yet tried any on greenfeed but the last 2 wet summers left so much rust on the oats that the cows were less than impressed. Anyone ever do that?

Comment

Too dry too long has a short, thin, open canopy with the soil surface dry. Low humidity during the day and not real dewy in the morning or at least not for long. Wind helping keep things dry. Wheat starting to head out...I won't have much time to decide at this rate but with the conditions the way they are....It hardly looks like it would pay.

App cost? Fungicide, fuel, time, maintenance, sprayer depreciation (I can't put an hour on mine that doesn't erode it's value).

Comment

I never seen any fungus grow in the dust...and that's what we have...so for this year, that's the least of our worries

Now we are hoping for the lucky shot thunderstorm

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                          Agreed. Even in dry years I think it pays on wheat. Malt too. Canola not convinced. Hate feeding the Chem companies but leave some check a trips and it's pretty easy to justify.

I haven't yet tried any on greenfeed but the last 2 wet summers left so much rust on the oats that the cows were less than impressed. Anyone ever do that?
                          Years ago, we noticed less rust on Morgan oats by adding Bumper in with herbicide.

Comment

I am starting to see the light at end of the tunnel with herbicide. Should be close to wrapped up the second pass of Liberty today. The Prosaro, Delaro, Proline can stay stacked to roof at the retailer.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              I am starting to see the light at end of the tunnel with herbicide. Should be close to wrapped up the second pass of Liberty today. The Prosaro, Delaro, Proline can stay stacked to roof at the retailer.
                              i agree generics all the way

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.