• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as wheat or winter wheat most of us have known for many many years that narrower row spacing is key for higher yields . That's been proven for 30 plus years .... almost everywhere

Comment

Canola not so much , unless you sole intent is selling seed and fungicide . Then ya , keeping seed rates higher on narrow row spacing is a win win for you. Not so much for the grower

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        12 in spacing in corn would never get a mature cob in this part of the world .
        Is all that research you quoted from north west Sask ??
        Actually the narrow row yield increase in corn (15" vs 30") is more consistent the further north you go in the US. That is to say the shorter growing seasons encountered in Michigan and Minnesota are where the most benefit is seen. If distance apart is the objective 15" rows give you that better than 30". Think about it - the rows may be 30" apart one way but the plants are 6" from each other in the row. With 15" rows you can seed 12" apart in the row - more space, better canopy, less weeds.

Comment

Check the cobs when you do that
          I think we could go to 20 in
          But that also would depend on plant populations.

Comment

We solid seeded last year with a Bourgalt airseeder at 30,000 plants and cobs were great. Seeded at 28,000 this year with the planter. We'll see how it does.

Comment

That will be interesting for sure .
              Corn needs at least 5 in space between seeds to produce good cobs . The 75-80.% feed value comes from good mature cobs not just plants

Comment

We and many of our neighbors plant our irrigated canola on 22" spacing. There is no yield hit compared to an air drill with narrower spacing. We seed at 2lbs, rather than 5 with the air drill.

On dry land, we have seen a yield hit. At the wider spacing, the plant needs to flower/branch longer. If it's short of water at that time, it won't branch enough to make up for the wider spacing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	765579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	765579

Ya this shitty Seedmaster has to hit the road too. Total trash.. 3.9 Ibs (4.5 tkw) ... 375# fert at 4.8mph... no fert seed placed..no rain yet 😢... Did some crosshatch 45 deg trials with 12" spacing a couple times already over the years.. No yield increase in cereals. Decreased yield in lentils.. Zero difference in canola..

Comment

Interesting comments on row spacing. Things do change but i used a 12" machine single row for 2 yrs and did not like it.
                    Every plant on earth has an optimum density. My planter comment was regarding not only the independent opener aspect but precision metering and gravity drop of seed.
                    Very evident in my soybean plot this year. 1 bushel the acre shows to me at least the limitations of air delivery systems from one auger.
                    Not to mention the funky stuff that can be done when each opener unit computer controlled.
                    However, I'm not a gaurenteed pay guy so I could be full of shit.
                    Nice pics guys.

Comment

Looks great JD
                      This is totally not about not what's better or not as a seeding tool
                      Let's not be pig headed farmers here
                      I was just sharing info that others might find interesting..... or not
                      There are tremendous air drills out there , and yes Tweety ours is not the greatest for canola . I do not need to be ridiculed on that asshole . But I will send pictures if you wish of all the crops seeded with that outfit and data for the 8 years we ran it do far. Trust me , it's done more than ok over the years. I will pm you if you want them.
                      Just trying to share info to those who may find it interesting.
                      Never once , ever , did I say it was better than anything else . Just sharing info
                      As far as being years behind , you may want to pull your head right if you Ass

Comment

Apparently you can't share somewhat positive info here with out getting trashed .... sad
                        Good luck for the rest of the crop year guys.

Comment

Planter

Everything I grow except hay goes through the same old White planter. 30" corn and azuki beans, 15" soys and 10" winter wheat although every third wheat row goes through the dry fert box. Next spring the row units will be on a frame I designed so I can twin row the corn and azukis on whatever spacing I want.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Apparently you can't share somewhat positive info here with out getting trashed .... sad
                            Good luck for the rest of the crop year guys.
                            Don't stop sharing information furrow. I can't speak for everyone obviously but I appreciate the information. Its always good to learn. Too many guys are close minded.

Comment

Originally posted by skfarmer707 View Post
                              Don't stop sharing information furrow. I can't speak for everyone obviously but I appreciate the information. Its always good to learn. Too many guys are close minded.
                              Times 2. Some needed to be viewed like the old question. If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody there to hear it,does it make a sound. Its always good to hear what others are trying.
                              Last edited by grefer; Jun 13, 2017, 07:11.

Comment

Furrow I thought the information and pics was awesome. Craig Shaw from Lacombe has been doing trials for a few years comparing results between using a planter and an air drill for canola. I have certainly considered having 2 drills, one for cereals and one for canola. Unfortunately I am to small of an operator to justify that. Looking at JDGreen's pics maybe the seedmaster is the best compromise. Seedmaster is more affordable than a bourgault.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.