• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planter / drill

Quite the difference now .. seeded same day ...
    45CS40 with Horsch planter at 2 lbs

45CS40 with Bourgault drill at 4.7 lbs

Granted our Bourgault is not a paralink though .

There is no doubt. Planters are the future.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Confirms the conclusion I came to last night. One neighbor calls abd I go look at his canola with him. Everywhere the tractor, cart and anhydrous tank went nice germ can see the rows perfectly. Everywhere else not so good. He rolls his canola after he seeds and uses a flexi 5000 with Dutch low draft 3.5 inch spread. Second neighbor talked to him a few days ago. Flexi 3 compartment tank same opener. Puts canola in one tank, 11-52 in one tank, urea-potash-sulfur blend in other. Puts 11-52 with seed and blend in single row between the split seed rows. Pissed right off at how poorly his canola is coming up. Anyway long story short, my thought last night was we would be farther ahead to buy a planter between the 3 of us just for canola. Your pictures tell the tale.

Comment

furrow , don't know anything about them , are they really expensive ? work for all crops ?

Comment

nice crops !

Comment

I am just relieved it turned out . We were nervous to do a 1000 ac test so to speak.
            This is the wheat stubble today ..
            And again side by side with our Bourgault

Comment

Two ways to look at expensive...
              ya they are not cheap , $300,000 plus
              But they can do 35-40ac / hr . And do it right .
              So a 75-80 ft drill would be about $600,000 to $700,000 now ?
              About the same efficiency as far as ac / hr
              Just got to think a little different on fertility

Comment

Furrow can you apply all your fertilizer and seed all in one pass? With most corn planters you have to make a separate pass to band on fertilizer.

Comment

I streamed on the N with sprayer before seeding . And applied the S with the round up in pre burn .
                  This planter has 800 gal phos tank on board to get phos in seed row just below seed

Comment

We used it for soybeans, canola and corn
                    15 in space on the beans and canola
                    30 in space for the corn

Comment

Furrow, what tractor do you use on that drill? JD planters need nothing short of a super tractor (weight, power, hyd capacity) on the front of their drills.

Comment

Very even emergence compared to your drill. It would be interesting to see a side by side trial with a seedmaster or equivalent type of drill. My neighbor has a seedmaster which produces very evenly emerged crops,but only seeding at 4 mph.

Comment

And to think I'm satisfied with mine under the circumstances, those pictures make mine look like a joke.

Impressive!

Comment

Really only proves how crappy your Bourgault is. Lots of drills can seed just as nice as that planter. A 15" row spacing in lots of trials has shown reduced yield to narrower so you are already behind. For example winter wheat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NCSU-Row-Spacing-Chart-1024x719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	765578

Even corn on 12 inch spacing with up to 100,000 seeds per acre shows much higher yields, they are just harder to harvest with existing row spaced eq.

They originally were 40 inch spacing because that was the width of a horse, then 30 because that would accommodate most tractor tires. But most progressive farmers and researchers know that narrow spacing is the key to better yields.

So maybe don't get trapped in the past with your thinking.
                            Last edited by tweety; Jun 12, 2017, 10:05.

Comment

Thank goodness for farmer experimenters. Nothing much comes out of the paid "researchers", but the farm workshop has been the mother of AG invention.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.