• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see guys protilling in the fall entire fields ....seeding with bourgault drills ...and harrowing after....

I thought the practice was long gone.

Ask yourselves this....if you burnoff... float the fertilizer ....and seed with discers. ...do you think the crop would be any worse for the equipment costs?

Comment

Furrow,good for you that you are running seeding trials. Your information is very informative. Keep it up!

Comment

For sure furrow ....keep posting....

It only takes one field to start a trend.

The planter spaces perfectly and depth control is good if I read and see right.

Comment

Me too furrow , i find it really interesting. Thanks for taking the time
          Just have to ignore the ignorant ones

Comment

Yes Furrow keep posting! Your posts get me thinking of how I can improve things around here and find them valuable.
            I sure can't help but notice that the people that are dry and want rain real bad sure have nice looking canola!

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              Yes Furrow keep posting! Your posts get me thinking of how I can improve things around here and find them valuable.
              I sure can't help but notice that the people that are dry and want rain real bad sure have nice looking canola!

Ah-hem, ah-hem.....I posted about the best looking spot. Read the post about the bi-polar emotional roller coaster.....

But if that's directed at me thanks for the complement.

Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                Canola not so much , unless you sole intent is selling seed and fungicide . Then ya , keeping seed rates higher on narrow row spacing is a win win for you. Not so much for the grower
                Regarding canola, maybe go back read the research. As the row spacing got wider, the yield went down. No matter how many posts you make, that won't change.

Absolutely its great to post "new" ideas, but the corn planter with canola idea has yet to show a benefit. Trend or not. Once flea beetles take a pound, frost another pound, cutworms another pound, that 2 pounds of seed you saved looks pretty expensive. Let alone the additional passes you need to make to fertilize, the disturbance, the erosion, moisture loss, the eq time, the....
                Last edited by tweety; Jun 13, 2017, 11:32.

Comment

For canola the paralink systems are awesome(seedmaster/seedhawk), when there is abundant moisture ( within 1/4 inch of the soil surface) . The problem with these drills is the maximum depth you can seed, which is roughly 1 inch of soil over the seed. In hot dry hurricane winds the germ can be iffy in places. Add they don't like trash or straw ( the old beaver huts ). So if you do seed and get a depth of 1 inch soil over the seed the ground dries out much faster due to the fert opener below the seed, plus salt of fert effect ( drying). Again if it's 1 inch deep then a driving windy rain, the furrow sides wash over the seed and ... - then it's two inches deep with a crust starting to form on the soil surface.

No machine is perfect, they all have a place, complexity, weather conditions, field finish,calibrations, etc etc

I do like the though provoking ideas, and thoughts on the forums, it's a big part of why I do what I do.

Comment

Furrow, I will be disappointed if you quit joining us. Please don't let one comment affect the great posts you share here. I've taken a few jabs but I just say, "good thing I don't need to kiss his arse". Click your heels and post on👍. Sometimes words just come across wrong, but we gotta test the water.

Comment

Like I tell my kids.....be the bigger person.... there will always be naysayers or people that don't agree but that's what makes it all worth reading....

Comment

great thread , thanks furrow , we always knew narrow in wheat was good.
                        4 inch was the best 30 years ago.
                        neighbour is starting to make me look bad, again , just beautiful crops.
                        he is done spraying , today spraying some magic potion ,
                        i assume liquid fert.

need guys like that to sharpen our game.

but my 3310 bour. gives me good results , in spite of me .
                        almost foolproof. not a lot precision here , cold as it was , should have been shallower, just lots of fert. and hope for the best. kinda works out . most of the time .
                        what i did notice is, had different canola varieties , side by side , one with lubriderm, one without
                        like night and day.
                        i did not fry the canola with too much phos, it was bugs that thinned it out
                        more than twice the stand

Comment

Craig's conclusion after 3 years:

"The big question mark is whether a precision drill is worth the expenditure, especially in an environment where it’s exclusively used for canola seeding,” said Shaw. “As you move further south into country that grows corn, sugar beets and soy, you’d have more acres you could use that kind of planter on, so it would be easier to warrant that additional expense. But up here, it’s a significant cost when you can only use it for a single crop.”.

His three-year on-farm trial now complete, Shaw has returned the borrowed planter to the Lacombe research station — and isn’t planning on buying one for his operation.

“The reality is that the planter isn’t the be-all and end-all answer to every issue,” he said. “Yup, it improved certain things and made achieving consistency easier. But what we really saw was that environment is critical.

“The more things you can get right at planting — the No. 1 factor being good residue management — the better the odds that you can get away with reduced seeding rates. It’s a package concept — the better the seedbed you put it into, the better those seeds are going to do, regardless of how you get them in the ground.”

Comment

There is a lot of huge $600,000 plus drills everywhere that used for exclusively canola
                            Your thread is bunk ...

Comment

And yes they work very well

One interesting note after doing yield tests for over 20 years , my neighbour has an ole "shitty" Bourgault 8800 drill, piece of junk ..... hmmmm , always in the top three .... hmmmmmm
                              Out of 75 plus guys . Must be the shitty Bourgault I guess

Comment

And the other 74 , are running everything you can imagine in between .
                                Never a perfect drill .
                                It's the wizard not the wand

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.