• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flea Beetle horror and success stories please

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flea Beetle horror and success stories please

What has been your experiences with spraying and not spraying for flea beetles in Canola? They are out of control this year. Even new alfalfa ( seeded last spring) is full of holes and seems to be losing plants.

This year had some canola at 3 to 4 leaf stage, leafs over an inch wide, go from a few bite marks to nothing but stems in 3 days. Could easily find 10 or 20 beetles ( or more) on any remaining plant. Rep was quite excited, worst she had seen. Sprayed them as fast as I could obtain chemical, most plants seem to be recovering. All other feilds were behind that in maturity, mostly cotelydons to 1 or 2 small leaves, most areas were gaining in spite of the high pressure and leaves being 25 to 50% eaten , but after seeing what happened to the big plants, I sprayed all I could before the rain storm. Still have 2 quarter that didn't get sprayed, they have lots of damage, but not seeing many beetles in this wet cold weather. Not sure if this will allow the plants to get ahead enough, or if i'll still need to spray, which will make a big mess after over 2" of rain on what was already saturated.

At first they were worst on plowed hay sod, but the worst feild mentioned above was direct seeded into sod, direct seeded into stubble was only marginally better

My only previous reference is 2 years ago with no rain I had patches where I could hardly find the remains of a plant ( cotelydon stage mostly) they were eating them so much faster than they could grow, but when it eventually rained, those patches outgrew the beetles and were indistinguishable by fall.

So did I waste my time and money? Will they always come back from having all foliage removed? What has been worst case for you, delayed growth, or lost crop?

Really didn't want to spray insecticide, killing all the good guys has to have consequences when the next pest moves in.

Now days with chemicals like prepass for eg. there is no volunteer canola in last years fields either. Then of course there is a new strain of them .

Comment

What did farmers expect was going to happen to half the country in canola every year.

Comment

Kinda have to agree with tweety. Need to get another or more cropping options that provide a good income stream.

Comment

Theres some top notch farmers putting canola on canola here. We try for every third year would like it to be four . We never spray the bastards but had to do one two days ago. Double treated

Comment

Tweety is right there
            Being a top notch farmer or not is irrelevant. The risk factor just goes way up , especially combined with earlier seeding .
            These seed treatments are barely good enough for "normal" pressure situations at best .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Tweety is right there
              Being a top notch farmer or not is irrelevant. The risk factor just goes way up , especially combined with earlier seeding .
              These seed treatments are barely good enough for "normal" pressure situations at best .
              I agree they are anything but top notch. But they think they are

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                What did farmers expect was going to happen to half the country in canola every year.
                Both of the worst damaged were virgin canola fields/ quarters. Can't get a longer rotation thanThat

Comment

true , with something like flea beetles, rotation would not make differance

Comment

The vast majority of flea beetles I saw this spring were the striped variety....

Comment

Comment

99% stripped here as well , and hungry buggers

Comment

Worst experience was in early years of canola growing before insecticide seed treatment.
                          Don't think rotations make a lot of difference, avoid canola on canola stubble.
                          Thankful for seed treatments that allow us to avoid spraying most years.

Comment

Was that lumiderm treated Farma? Funny down on the gumbo here it is all black crucifer type flea beatles.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Let me guess just like Fusarium the organic guys don't get insects

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.