• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flea Beetle horror and success stories please

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#bringbackfuradan!#

Comment

In my agronomy days, I remember I checked a field for a guy who seeded canola with no seed treatment. When I when out there, they basically had eaten 85 to 90 percent of what was emerged. I never saw, nor have I even seen anything like it. We sprayed decis on it and it still turned out to be a pretty decent crop. I think your doing the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
        Let me guess just like Fusarium the organic guys don't get insects
        You might be right I know of untreated seed that is ass kicking the blue shit. Blue shit might get sprayed twice Pounce and with Slevin this time, its got that halo bullshit which is caused by the seed treat according to Bayer.
        Last edited by biglentil; Jun 11, 2017, 20:17.

Comment

Apparently fall high speed discing can help with fleas in the following crop year. Anyone having trouble with fleas in fields that were disced last fall?

Comment

Well come to think of it, no. We have not had to spray an acre for beetles . Actually just took back all the Matador two days ago just in case someone else needs it .

Comment

Rain would cure our flea beetle problem,

Comment

Sumdum , no it does not
                One of the wettest areas in the province is the St Wahlburg area . They were spraying all over up there for beetles
                They are at over 8 in rain from early May

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                  Let me guess just like Fusarium the organic guys don't get insects
                  Why drag organic farmers into your problems? You have the luxury of being able to go and buy insecticide. Don't be a fool, go buy some and spray it. Don't be cheap about it, use the heavy rate. Why would any self respecting farmer lose the chance at the only profitable acres on his farm when all he has to do is stroke the cheque and spray it out onto his field? This has nothing to do with organic farmers.

Comment

Last time I sprayed for flea beetles was 1980. Guess we live in a special area.
                    The seed treatments work just fine, even volunteer canola has very few bites, growing great in the wheat.
                    As for the rain effect, they don't eat during rain, canola grows when COOL.

Comment

I had mentioned in a different thread I'd started about having problems with flea beetles.
                      I did spray with the "bull fighter", and 2-3 days later had 4/10's of rain on those fields. I couldn't believe the recovering in a weeks time. Field looking real nice now.
                      My worst fields were on heavy untouched wheat stubble, planted nicely on a windy 28C day. Canola coming with lots of nice shelter, but maybe heavy harrowing in the fall would have killed off some of the beetles??

Comment

$700 a ****ing bag and I got to scratch around on my knees looking for bugs??
                        Oh wow! they will give me free chemical so I can put more hours on my sprayer and be exposed to insecticide after the bugs chewed up half my investment.
                        What a bunch of horse shit.
                        Doesn't anyone else expect more for their money ?

Comment

In regards to insecticide seed treatments, unfortunately the little bastards have to eat to die. It can get pretty ugly looking in the meantime. Could a synergy between the presently used products and a reduced amount of Lindane combined be more effective than the current products being used alone?

Are we any further ahead using the current products--sometimes in tandem, and having to go back out with even more insecticide because the current products are inadequate, instead of using a Lindane based product and getting the job done right the first time? Unfortunately the "load" on the environment would be much greater than years past because canola has become such a huge crop in Western Canada.
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 13, 2017, 07:18.

Comment

I don't think this is any better at all farma
                            All these rigs spraying in the wind exposing everything above ground , funny how if it costs more it's acceptable, the old stuff was just too cheap and reliable I guess. Now some tree hugger will post some bullshit study on how much better it is while we are burning feul controlling a pest that shouldn't even be a issue after we overpay for the latest greatest technology

Comment

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
                              $700 a ****ing bag and I got to scratch around on my knees looking for bugs??
                              Oh wow! they will give me free chemical so I can put more hours on my sprayer and be exposed to insecticide after the bugs chewed up half my investment.
                              What a bunch of horse shit.
                              Doesn't anyone else expect more for their money ?
                              As more farmers uses planters and cut the seed rate down to 2.5 - 3 lbs an acre that bag will cost $1400 in a matter of time. Better hope flea beetles and frost dont thin out a row cropped stand, youll be f$%cked.

Comment

These guys http://spartanburgafm.com/ write about how to fight pests including flea beetle. Hope it will come in handy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...