• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How deep to plant soybeans?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How deep to plant soybeans?

Would/do you plant them deeper than wheat?

I would typically plant my peas the same depth as wheat, then the peas are rolled adding a bit more ground on them. #5 on my Bourgault drill.

Originally posted by danny W1M View Post
    Would/do you plant them deeper than wheat?

I would typically plant my peas the same depth as wheat, then the peas are rolled adding a bit more ground on them. #5 on my Bourgault drill.
    1.5" +/- 1/4

Comment

I would seed them the same depth as wheat, no deeper than 1.5 inches

Comment

Delek is right. If you need to go deeper to find moisture you can go 2" . This assumes your seeding on the dry side and not creating large clods of mud that can inhibit emergence of any crop type. Beans are amazingly strong plants, literally moving soil as they push thru.

Comment

Thing is I'd probably only seed wheat about a 1/2 inch deep. Should beans be seeded a full 1 inch deep then, regardless of moisture?

Comment

Avoid putting them in powder, will never germinate like wheat and canola that can sprout with minimal moisture. Packnthem into moisture if you can. I seed wheat 1 - 1.5". Beans always deeper than wheat, 1.25 to 1.75". 2" if there is no moisture and concerns of 80k winds blowing out the seed after the land has been rolled. Im on heavy black red river gumbo soils. If you are on anything lighter than this no problem seeding 1.75 2".

Comment

Good moisture here even with 2 weeks of wind. Set the drill down to plant about 1 inch. Rain forecast for the weekend, so hoping not too many will get drown out. Rookie grower here.
              Thanks for the comments.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.