• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forage dryers ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forage dryers ??

I recently learned that most alfalfa plants are actually silaging the forage in the field then hauling it to the plant for drying and processing. I believe this is the most efficent method of preserving optimum feed value /ac. Would it be cost effective to have a scaled down model of these dryers/processors for use on a smaller farm operation? How many ac/yr min would justify the cost? Could forage dryers become as common as grain dryers?

The method used to harvest alfalfa will depend on the end use or method of use of the alfalfa. For a plant which produces alfalfa cubes or pellets, the method you have described would work well. However, for plants that double compress bales, and export them, this method would not work at all. For an individual farmer, I do not think this method would be very desirable. Most feedlots use silage, and do not need to dry the crop, while ranchers and cow/calf operators usually are set up to use bales, and would not be able to easily use the alfalfa if it was chopped up. While this method might be the most efficient for preserving feed value, I think the extra cost of the dryer (and possibly processor), and the extra costs associated with setting up to use this type of product, would make it impracticle. I would be interested to hear some other opinions on this topic. Darryl Slingerland

Comment

I have a strong interest in forage drying and can fill you in on a few things I have found out. There is a strong interest in the export timothy business in forage drying. There is a vacumn radio wave style dryer now in testing in Northern Alberta. Has worked reasonably well but has a high cost to set up. Also seems that it works best at 20% moisture or less otherwise capacity is effected. There are some farmer dryers built or being built that use a floor plemun to draw warm air through the bale stacks and seem to be working well again to draw moisture down from 20 to 12 % moisture. Have heard of an industrial style dryer currently being patented and also of a plant building a dryer at it's new facility in Innisfail. With large quality premiums being paid and our sometimes poor harvest weather you will likely see more research in these areas.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...