Mark up on parts

Machinery & Equipment

Tools

Mark up on parts

Apr 19, 2017 | 22:07 1 Hook up to my air cart alarm goes off tells me bin depth sensor shot in bin 1 and bin 2 go pick up two sensors 593.00 a piece. Bend over,take it dry, lube extra. Out of control these dealers ,make in canada sensors, how much mark up you guys think? Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2017 | 22:32 2 I wondered how the dealership superstores would pay. Guess we're finding out Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2017 | 22:32 3 Did the same last year on a tank of ours. Other tank had a string of them quit , f#$k it. Cameras instead now.
Parts are getting retarded. But... Cheaper than losing $200,000 per piece of farm equipment in the first oil change or greasing interval. Hope the BTO's keep needing the latest decal patterns. Reply With Quote
RTK
Apr 19, 2017 | 22:38 4 Did you save the old one there is a core rebate.... according to the tag attached to the new one I purchased. So next time I was at dealer I returned my old one and was told the core was worth... $1.00. I took it home with me a told them I would just toss it out if that was the case. Reply With Quote
LEP
Apr 19, 2017 | 23:23 5 The price of parts drive me nuts. I check online wherever possible.

I bought a starter a couple years ago for my swather. Luckily I was just putting it away for the season , so I could wait for delivery. Dealer was $380 and I bought it for $135 delivered.

Many wear items for combine and headers I buy at shoup or Sloan express out of the US. I get them to ship to Havre and run down to pick up. Only able to do this preseason because of time involved. Guards for 635f are 14USD vs about 35 cdn.

A few years back I converted to 3" and saved something like 5 or 6,000 on 10,000. The dollar was stronger then though. Had a guy tell me he was frustrated that he had to compete with everyone one in the world because of the internet. I gave him a blank look before I said uhmn, I have always had to compete with the lowest price in the world. Reply With Quote
Klause's Avatar Apr 19, 2017 | 23:31 6 Post a pic of it.

I bet I can get you the exact sensor wholesale from an electronics distributor for pennies on the dollar. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2017 | 23:43 7 RTK...I would have went back to the shop, got a hammer, and smashed the core sensor right before their eyes and shoved a loonie up their ass with the hammer handle...

....but that's just me!
Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 19, 2017 at 23:53.
Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 00:00 8
Quote Originally Posted by Crazyharrows View Post
Hook up to my air cart alarm goes off tells me bin depth sensor shot in bin 1 and bin 2 go pick up two sensors 593.00 a piece. Bend over,take it dry, lube extra. Out of control these dealers ,make in canada sensors, how much mark up you guys think?
Same thing happened to me. Was no guarantee it was the bin sensors and was told it could be the ecu... 600 a piece for the sensors, and god only know what for a 20 year old ecu or 1300 for cameras.

Just hate going back to the trough! Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 00:23 9 You have to wonder if there is another source for some stuff....they really nail you if the part is proprietary. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 00:30 10
Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
Same thing happened to me. Was no guarantee it was the bin sensors and was told it could be the ecu... 600 a piece for the sensors, and god only know what for a 20 year old ecu or 1300 for cameras.

Just hate going back to the trough!


What's the problem helmsdale? That's only 200 bushels of high vomi durum or feed barley needed to buy that sensor! Is that not a fair deal?

;-) Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2017 | 05:56 11 And that is why they are called stealerships. Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2017 | 08:07 12 I have the same issues on my NH/Flexicoil cart. The depth sensors on tank 2 and 3 (both fert) show a communication error code. Was told $600 for a new one and $500ish for a reman. I am going to go the camera way too. The only thing is what do you do to stop the error from showing up and beeping? Will have to look in the book to see if you can cancel that error setting. Reply With Quote
fjlip's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 09:58 13 Filters at NAPA were 29% of Deere price on their sale. Made in same factory, Mexico. 9870 air filter $94. Fuel filter at Deere over $300 each, two used.
GM same thing. German made Hengst, $19, $42 at dealer. Same style in some GM and Deere engines. Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2017 | 09:59 14
Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
The price of parts drive me nuts. I check online wherever possible.

I bought a starter a couple years ago for my swather. Luckily I was just putting it away for the season , so I could wait for delivery. Dealer was $380 and I bought it for $135 delivered.

Many wear items for combine and headers I buy at shoup or Sloan express out of the US. I get them to ship to Havre and run down to pick up. Only able to do this preseason because of time involved. Guards for 635f are 14USD vs about 35 cdn.

A few years back I converted to 3" and saved something like 5 or 6,000 on 10,000. The dollar was stronger then though. Had a guy tell me he was frustrated that he had to compete with everyone one in the world because of the internet. I gave him a blank look before I said uhmn, I have always had to compete with the lowest price in the world.


There is a parcel service at Plentywood. We use it a lot. ( $5 per item.) I think it is Grove's Furniture Store. I have a business card somewhere I probably could find if anyone needs it. Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 10:20 15
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
What's the problem helmsdale? That's only 200 bushels of high vomi durum or feed barley needed to buy that sensor! Is that not a fair deal?

;-)
It's a steal of a deal... for someone!

I remember guys talking about the speed sensor that went on an S670s tailboard being absolutely retardedly expensive from JD. If my mind serves me correctly it was somewhere around $700. They didn't even bother to paint it green, and give it a JD part number. The tag and sensor had Eaton branding and part number on it, and if you punched that into Ebay, you could get *2 day* delivery to anywhere in NA for under $100US. Cervus has to pay for all those shiny new 1/2 ton's, and service trucks. Also gotta cover the rent on those sparkling new monolithic shops with fully outfitted workout rooms, conference rooms, etc etc. Don't forget a tidy return to investors and shareholders.

Too bad they didn't have a "RockAuto" for agricultural parts... Reply With Quote
Klause's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 13:11 16
Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
It's a steal of a deal... for someone!

I remember guys talking about the speed sensor that went on an S670s tailboard being absolutely retardedly expensive from JD. If my mind serves me correctly it was somewhere around $700. They didn't even bother to paint it green, and give it a JD part number. The tag and sensor had Eaton branding and part number on it, and if you punched that into Ebay, you could get *2 day* delivery to anywhere in NA for under $100US. Cervus has to pay for all those shiny new 1/2 ton's, and service trucks. Also gotta cover the rent on those sparkling new monolithic shops with fully outfitted workout rooms, conference rooms, etc etc. Don't forget a tidy return to investors and shareholders.

Too bad they didn't have a "RockAuto" for agricultural parts...



I ordered a couple of those for a neighbour. Thru electronics wholesaler I got them for 28 bucks and change American. Overnight shipping to Saskatoon. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 14:14 17 Parts are insane! Yea cameras vs sensor and cheaper!

I love that's 880 for the part sir like it's 8 dollars not 880.


But yea have to pay for bricks and cement! Looks so nice. Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Apr 20, 2017 | 16:11 18
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
Parts are insane! Yea cameras vs sensor and cheaper!

I love that's 880 for the part sir like it's 8 dollars not 880.


But yea have to pay for bricks and cement! Looks so nice.
Walked into the new RME in Medicine Hat shortly after they finished putting up the new building. Took me a couple seconds to take in the massive vaulted ceilings, and all the "necessary" essentials for a machinery dealership. Parts lady asks me, "so, what do you think?" I said, "In all honesty I think the likelihood of me getting hosed at this parts counter is a certainty. Someone is going to have to pay for this monstrosity!" Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2017 | 21:35 19 Dealers charge 5 to 600% markup on shitty Chinese made parts that's how they pay for all their buildings. Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2017 | 06:57 20 Pictures of sensor Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Apr 23, 2017 | 07:29 21 Geez now, it shouldn't be any easier. Canadian manufacturer, part number. Google search manufacturer....contact them and they will tell you they don't sell retail and to top it off the part is proprietary! The retailer has you by the balls. Take a deep breath, hold your nose a pay. Maybe Klaus has a solution. ...its a sonar sensor.

Is it from a Flexicoil Case/NewHolland cart? What year and what years does it cover? Isn't there any wreckers parting out air carts yet. Dont know if I would like buying used electronics at any price.

I think we had those in our SC380 NH cart. I think they clicked or ticked continually. We never had to replace one so I can't say if they still made a noise when they stopped sensing. Does it click when it's installed....compare it to another one on the cart. Move one that works to the position you took the failed one from to eliminate the possibility of a wiring issue.
Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 23, 2017 at 07:42.
Reply With Quote
Klause's Avatar Apr 23, 2017 | 07:37 22 Vansco was bought out by parker. Is it 2 wire or 3? On the plug? Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2017 | 07:47 23 Two wire Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2017 | 08:06 24 With new machinery hitting new record prices, who can afford to buy? If you don't buy the new fancy stuff fix up your current line up, and pay through the nose. Stealerships aren't selling as much new, so let's hose them on parts to keep their current equipment running. Had to replace an elevator chain last yr, $3100, feeder chain, $3200, amongst other things.
Every time you turn your head it's $2-20k. Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2017 | 09:26 25 Digi-Key is a good website to check for sensors and electronics.

I wonder if some manufacturers purposely use a small company like Vansco instead of Honeywell so their parts aren't as easy to buy from a "non-dealer".............. Reply With Quote
Klause's Avatar Apr 23, 2017 | 09:48 26 OK that sensor is 289.75 if you buy one from a parker distributor. That's CAD.


Having said that, open up the housing and clean off that mesh from the inside and wipe down the colector (shiny round plate)


Those sensors rarely "fail" they get dirt on them and reflect the sonar ping too soon so the sensor thinks it's out of range.

BTW you can get other ultrasonic sensors that have the same output for around 75 bucks. Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2017 | 11:02 27 I will check it out,thanks Krause. Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2018 | 18:00 28 I used to work for a SK based manufacturer (yellow equip) and any purchased items were marked up around 3 times cost. Most of the common items were off the shelf - where we really cleaned up was when we sold "factory built parts", but trying to tell customers and dealers that bearings and sprockets were custom made were lies most of the time. Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Nov 16, 2018 | 20:09 29 I just searched for this thread, then realized someone else happened upon it today as well...

Doing books. Everyone's favorite past time. Im looking over some of the RME invoices from this harvest season, and some of this shit is absolutely insane. Bought a new spring to go into the torque sensing drive sheave for the rotor drive that was very much necessary. I get the "it says on here that you need to order this plate and two studs along with the new updated heavier spring." I didn't ask too many questions. Should have. The spring was a respectable, $100.63, but...

Name:  rotor plate.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  5.5 KB
This bad boy is worth a whopping $136.64, and it is necessary to install the plate, but my goodness i could have bought a pretty significant chunk of 3/16" or 1/4" steel and made my own in not alot of time.

and better yet...

Name:  rotor plate ready rod.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  3.3 KB
These two pieces of 3/8" NF ready rod with a nut welded onto the end are worth a mind blowing $77.91 each!

I am in the wrong business! Reply With Quote