• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ag Stability Dead! Our Accountant thinks it is.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ag Stability Dead! Our Accountant thinks it is.

Just had a meeting yesterday at our accountants to go over some other things going on in Ottawa and the conversation turned to Insurance.

His comments were most farmers did get some thing from Crop insurance on grade factors and loss.

Guys with crop out a lot harvested more than their production guarantee so what is in the field they might try to get or will burn.

Private insurance programs were all the rage a few years ago but most after three years working with them have dropped because they didn't pay that much out. If this is the way the Feds and Provincial want farmers to go, I would say were in trouble.

Most farmers were dropping Ag Stability and even guys who did already pay the fee some were asking for the money back before the April 30th deadline. The main reason most were dropping the Prov?Fed program were the changes from last years budget. Plus the useless audits that date back to Case program. What the workers have nothing to do. Sad what could of been a enhanced crop insurance and drop all the shit is now two programs that really aren't that great.

We are sticking with Saskcrop insurance but boosted the coverage on Canola to 80% we are still going to use hail insurance up to $200.00 acre but that will depend on what the year is like till June.

So what are others thinking on insurance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	777547

The above hail storm took out crops from Cupar to Top of Fort Quapelle last summer. It can happen in a instant.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Apr 11, 2017, 07:10. Reason: screwed up point

We remain in it unless I don't make the premium due at the end of April. We aren't in crop insurance but are kinda self insured. So it is a way to cover my ass in case of an outright disaster hits us. It will be inadequate as hell but it will be something. And yes... hail insurance is carried.

I've said it before, the governments saw the potential huge liability staring them in the face if a widespread disaster struck, so they revamped the program to mitigate their risk.

Comment

I sent the check in March after the notice came. So yes were still in it.

Comment

The death of the Ag-Stab-me-in-the-back program won't be because of farmer's unwilling participation but the government's intentional design..... the program didn't have to be lucrative but it should have at least been adequate.

Comment

Well a big piss off a lot of guys had was the Audits dating back to 2000 and older Really lets check my dads tax return for 1944.

But at the same time some Companies really figured out the program and abused it.

Farmers will use a program if it offers some sort of protection and is simple to get their heads around.

Comment

Can remember all the years we stayed in cattle, not so much for the money but in case things went bad again for grain.
            Last few years we got out of cattle and have seen unprecedented grain profit on this farm.
            Think we will stay with Agristability and crop insurance while available and unless something better comes along.

Comment

These programs imo are designed for everyone BUT the actual producer. The way it is right now you have to experience an event that there is no recovering from to qualify. Enough if is enough, I've been out since 14 this game of a dangling carrot is not for me. They sell hope and nothing more. I won't get into the data they have accumulated on us through this pos program.

Comment

Good the sooner Agri Stab is gone the better. Just another tools for the Colonies and BTO's to eliminate the small farmer since the cost of participating in the complex program far outweighs the benefits for the smaller producer. (mainly accounting fees). I would like to see a revenue insurance program set up based on realistic yields for the area and not typical averages in the 1930's. This would eliminate things like quality factors and the like. Simply the price of the various qualities would determine if you get a payout or not. Should be easy to do. Alberta's spring price endorsement is sort of a wonky version but I would like to see yield and price integrated together rather than working separately.

Comment

This is 3rd year out of Ag Back Stab,( thanks Feds), would not have paid out any way, saving premiums!
                  Crop ins has paid in 2004 on quality and 2010 on quantity. Still received more than premiums since 1985.

Comment

Too bad the federal government couldn't mitigate the liability of bombardier the same way as farmers.

Comment

If you've ever been to a National Safety Nets meeting, it's enough to make you gag. CFA, which includes KAP, Wild Rose, etc; fall all over themselves to prove who's the smartest.

What happens is, Finance hands down to Ag how much the budget is. The Ron Bonnett types (Jack Wilkinson clones) then carve out how to apply that money to a farm program.

Never does anyone (but the cattle producers) speak up to say, "This won't work for our producers". The majority just act like Govt lap dogs.

Comment

We have exactly same recipe as you sf3, scic@80%,hail ins @$200. Were going to get back in last year after floods but acct wanted $10k for the 3 yrs and actually scic treated us good so to hell with ag stability
                        Last edited by caseih; Apr 11, 2017, 15:19.

Comment

Any hands-on farmer who keeps good yield and revenue records (and is capable of filling out a form), can complete his/her own AgriStability with easily (and no problem with audit). Manual farm records set up for AgriStability ease make it a breeze. IMHO The claims processors may even help you to fill out the forms and show you how it works. The verification process can be frustrating if you don't know how to do revenue checks, but it certainly is not too difficult.

I worked for AIDA CAIS and AgrStability(for twelve years) , never will pay an accountant to complete my AgriStability. I helped many farmers to fill out their own forms and never had one come back for adjustments. Been through audits and no problem at all. It's a cake walk, especially for Agrivillers. 👍

Changes to margin calculation after 2011 have changed the probability to trigger a payment and I am not saying that the program is effective, but if it is accountant fees that you are prohibitting you from applying, then try it on your own. You may surprise yourself at how simple it really is.

Comment

Staying in, hoping new government fixes the program MR RITZ ****ed

Comment

Agri stability work good for me. Accountant charge less than 200 and he works for me and himself. It was explained a couple years ago what some poeples problem was but lot of poeple don't want to learn on here .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.