• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAFTA

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAFTA

The NAFTA only works for bullies like the USA and Canada’s trade retaliations would maybe only work for short term gains, but is not a lasting solution. Its like a schoolyard bully, things are fine as long as the teacher is watching but he will get you later.
    In most cases its just USA protectionism but they have the power and money to delay removing tariffs or opening borders for the trade to resume.

I think the US put the squeeze on Canada to join the NAFTA and our politicians blindly signed without realizing the bully factor.
    I think it is a good thing for some industries, but should be ratified for others.
    Like why are we forced to import products that we export—is it just to destroy our own industry?

I still believe NAFTA was a good thing. It is our useless politicians that are the problem! We can slap absurb tariffs on the Americans just as easily? We could have taken them to the NAFTA panel over BSE but haven't. If the process is there and we don't use it we deserve what we get?
    Cattle and Beef were never affected by the NAFTA agreement. We always had free trade for live cattle and beef. NAFTA just enshrined what we already had in this regard. I hope you don't think NAFTA was a bad thing for Alberta because it wasn't...in fact it was the best thing that ever happened to us! It allowed us to sell our other products into the American market instead of getting screwed by Ottawa! And NAFTA is way more important to Alberta than a bunch of old cows or some wheat? Wheat and cows are really not all that important to the majority of Albertans? I believe 80% of the population lives in Calgary and Edmonton? How many of them depend on cattle and wheat? How many depend on oil and gas?

Comment

I beleive the majority of them work in the services area and last time I looked in Calgary and Edmonton more people were employed in the agrifood sector than oil and gas and it earned the employees more money than the oil and gas sector (not the US mutinationals, I am talking the people who work there themselves).

NAFTA to them is more revenues across all sectors and a trade irritant in Softwood lumber or BSE is a blip on the radar screen, they get more excited about a rise in the gasoline price for their great honkin SUV than any little thing like a piece of wood. But just cut off the import of their dog or cats special diet pet food because of BSE in the US and watch them freak!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.