• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBC: Women under appreciated in agriculture.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBC: Women under appreciated in agriculture.

Do you guys appreciate all of the work done on the farm by the female crew?
    Story on CBC website

[URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatchewan-women-in-agriculture-2017-1.4022074"]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatchewan-women-in-agriculture-2017-1.4022074[/URL]

Yes all the time.

Women or men it doesn't matter as long as each knows what they are doing on the job.

This is typical CBC shit.

Useless television or radio

Comment

We appreciate ALL the people that help out on our farm. Gender doesn't matter here. People matter.

Also, there are women that run farms around here that people see as good farmers rather than women running a farm. When they sell their calves they get the same price as anyone. Their grain sales aren't discounted because they have ovaries.

Other sectors that don't pay equal for work of equal value are just so ethically wrong it's hard to comprehend that it even happens in this day and age, at least in the west, leaving Muslim countries out.

Comment

A collective "Are you ****ing kidding me?" from pretty much every woman in agriculture.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
          A collective "Are you ****ing kidding me?" from pretty much every woman in agriculture.

Huh? How the F would you know?

Comment

Typical CBC trying to stir shit up on easy targets where there is no issue. Where is the opinion on women wearing their living room curtains over their themselves and getting beaten by their husbands? Oh wait, you can't say such things anymore because CBC's boy wonder made it illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
              Have you grown breasts lately? Was fairly certain you were a guy.

Comment

Blaithin, how about your farm? If I remember right you're young? Do you you ever feel less appreciated than others on your farm?

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                  Blaithin, how about your farm? If I remember right you're young? Do you you ever feel less appreciated than others on your farm?
                  Not on my farm as I'm by myself. Only myself to get mad at LOL (I should rephrase that, if I feed too slow my cows don't appreciate me)

Working within the industry though... yes there are issues and challenges. More than other industries? I couldn't say but probably not. Is it a common issue? No, or at least the vocal people are farther between than the accepting ones. Can't say what people are actually thinking.

I have run into more noteable moments. In one interview a farmer said he'd never hired a woman before, did I think he'd need to hire more than one if he hired one? His teenage daughter was part of the interview, to this day I wonder what he would say if someone asked her that...

The more common type I experience though, is almost subconscious. People don't even realize they're being slightly sexist. An example of this would be my current job. I work for a large Ag company that is good at hiring women. The last one to work in the position I'm in now was a few years ago. I've been told they almost didn't hire me as she made a bad impression always having to leave to look after her kids and having sick days, etc.

Because I'm a woman I was judged on previous female employees from years past. Meanwhile there's a middle aged white guy here - the type that goes home and drinks a 12 pack every night, puts the minimal effort in and could happily live of welfare the rest of his life - yet never once has anyone said "well the last middle aged white guy was kind of useless so let's pick those candidate last."

Minorities and youth frequently get those same kind of judgements.

I've had absolutely amazing bosses and never had a moments thought about being judged because of my sex. Then I've had douche bag bosses who were pretty much jerks to everyone, man or woman.

But yes, the judgement is still out there.

Comment

My wife and mother do parts runs, paperwork, accounting, feeding the crew, checking cows, cutting hay, and run the silage chopper. They do a better job of it than our hired guys most of the time as well. This while packing around two little kids. Everyone has a different skill set and you try to utilize it the best you can. All the cattle handling equipment is bought by women here since if they don't like it then I don't want it. This is obviously a slow news day story......

At least in my opinion.

My wife and her "toy"

Comment

Blaithin, thanks for the honesty. It was enlightening.

I don't like the word "feminism". It sounds like a word that divides. But your comment that sometimes what you see is subconscious struck me. So, what can we do better? Will attitudes eventually change with generational change?

Comment

CBC is unappreciated. Let's trade them for Syrians.

Comment

Braveheart, yes Feminism seems to be earning the context of women over men and that's not its definition at all. Which is unfortunate, it's a good word in its natural state.

As for the subconscious, I think most of it is just how we grew up. Most "sexism" for lack of a more suitable word, isn't actually about women not being able to do certain things but more that we should be doing certain other things. Getting married, having babies, putting supper on the table. My mom, who is a big supporter of farming and grew up on a farm, is reknowned for telling me my life is unbalanced because I'm not out looking for a husband and settling down. I think standards like this are going to change with the generations as my generation approached relationships much differently than my Moms and Grandparents. (For better or worse LOL)

But how could we maybe stop such slapstick judgements? It's hard, everyone judges. Personally I really dislike generalizing so I try hard not to do that and it helps a lot in judging people on their own actions instead of others actions. I also try to understand where someone is coming from of they're making comments. The guy at the interview really annoyed me for instance. That was pure ignorance. The guys at work just amused me because they don't even realize what they were saying and how it might be offensive.

Also a big part of today's sexism challenges is how sensitive some people are. Not only, all or just Millennials, but people from all walks of life and ages. Most sexist things are, and probably always will be,tongue in cheek jokes so as long as someone has a healthy sense of humour, life will be much easier.

Comment

Dad should appreciate their help and invest in a cordless grease gun

Jokes aside this is a liberal story at its finest. Women have been spending time in the fields since forever. Slow news day in liberal land by the looks of it

Iceman Out

Comment

Is it just me or does anyone else see these type of articles as condescending?
                              Last edited by Jay-mo; Mar 29, 2017, 07:59.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.