• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxing crop insurance premiums

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxing crop insurance premiums

Below is taken from the CWBA web site that compares Crop Insurance premiums in Manitoba and Saskatchewan GREAT CANADIAN GRAIN ROBBERY CWBAFACTS.CA
    This was from 2015 you will note that a farmer in Saskatchewan was paying about $11.00 an acre more for Crop Insurance than a Manitoba farmer for identical coverage. This year farmer premiums increase dramatically. Where is this money going?
    It should be noted that with premier Pallister now in charge in Manitoba premiums are now increasing dramatically as well.
    THERE NEEDS TO BE A Full INVESTIGATION OF SASK CROP INSURANCE Where is the money going???
    You will also note that the CWBA predicted that if Harper was reelected the plan was to end Crop Insurance This was in the works because the talk in Ottawa with farm organizations was "shouldn't the farmer be allowed to buy insurance". Ritz was quite open about this.
    Crop Insurance is a federal Provincial program where premiums are agreed to by provinces and the federal government.
    TAXING CROP INSURANCE IS CLEARLY A VIOLATION OF THE ACT AND AGREEMENT BETWEEN FARMERS PROVINCES AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
    I am not aware of any other province taxing their farmers crop insurance and hail insurance premiums

FROM CWBA The End of Crop Insurance
    Agriculture Minister Ritz is on record as saying farmers should buy their own crop insurance. Currently crop insurance premiums are split between the farmer, their Provincial and the Federal governments. We believe that the Harper conservatives want to privatize crop insurance.

Here are two crop insurance contracts from SK and MB for 80% coverage of 50/50 canola and RS wheat and excess moisture insurance:

$/acre Sk Farmer Sask Gov. & Ottawa Total
    $20.16 $27.84 $48.00

$/acre Mb Farmer Mb Gov. & Ottawa Total
    $11.68 $16.12 $27.80

Do you trust Ritz and Harper to keep using government money to support your crop insurance costs? Can you afford forty-eight thousand dollars or more in private crop insurance for every thousand acres you farm?

Ritz and Harper have already drastically changed the margin calculations for Agri-Stability to make it more difficult to trigger pay outs. The government contribution to Agri-Invest has also been slashed.

Get on the phones to those pricks . Email them , make some noise .

Comment

I can tell you the difference in rates is mire than significant.

Never could get a answer. But since we re paying more. I want to know in fact demand to know.
      Good point of topic.

Comment

How are you coming up with those dollars per acre for ins. integrity? For 2017, with 80% coverage, my full premium for argentine canola is $3.97/acre, for red spring wht.- $4.50/acre ( MB.) What are some of you sask. farmers really paying for crop in.? Would like to know. ( at 50% coverage .73 and .79 cents per acre respectively. very cheap to stay in crop ins.)

Comment

You must be kidding us?

Comment

Is that hail insurance?

Comment

Total acres insured and total premium is 11.79 per acre at 70%

Comment

I'm talking straight crop ins. ( no hail ins.) does yours include hail ins. klause?

Comment

We. Don't have hail insurance with our crop insurance do you?

Some guys I know are paying 17.00 acre for canola

Is that your overall average Klause or what crop

Comment

Sask $11.70/acre for 70% and Mb $4.50 for 80%, am I reading this right? I have not been in Crop Insurance since 1986, Lentils have been my insurance and an on-farm business. Left the CWB that year too. Only wheat was feed wheat, no appetite for waiting for pittances to show up in the mail.Whenever the province grew a crappy crop, price went up and I was ready. Also hoarded Canary Seed waiting for the gravy train every now and then. 1994 was the only mega train for birdseed.

Sorry I got side-tracked. The point of my post was to ask if the price of Crop Insurance is that variable from province to province.

Comment

Originally posted by stonepicker View Post
                      How are you coming up with those dollars per acre for ins. integrity? For 2017, with 80% coverage, my full premium for argentine canola is $3.97/acre, for red spring wht.- $4.50/acre ( MB.) What are some of you sask. farmers really paying for crop in.? Would like to know. ( at 50% coverage .73 and .79 cents per acre respectively. very cheap to stay in crop ins.)
                      To compare premiums you have to know what your coverage is to make a comparison. So in SK I pay for canola on stubble $10.96 for $ 454 of coverage at 80%. That works out to $2.41 / $100 coverage or simpler I am paying 2.41% premium for crop ins on canola. For stubble wheat my premium at 80% is 2.35%. Keep in mind that my experience discount is at 50% so other farmers could be paying double or more for the same coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by stonepicker View Post
                        I'm talking straight crop ins. ( no hail ins.) does yours include hail ins. klause?
                        No that's straight crop insurance.

We have municipal hail and some private. Not counting any of those

Comment

Are you on 10 year average for
                          yields or area yields stone?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                            We. Don't have hail insurance with our crop insurance do you?

Some guys I know are paying 17.00 acre for canola

Is that your overall average Klause or what crop
                            Average on all.

Oats wheat peas canola 20% 25% 25% 30% crop splits

Yes in mb you can buy hail additionally here in sk you can't

Premiums are twice as high here than mb for same dollar coverage.

Comment

Well wtf????!?
                              Is going on here?????

An adjuster from here went to help one year with the flooding in manitoba he told me he wouldn't even tell
                              Me the difference in premiums and coverage because I'd lose it if he did.

He also said in saskatxhewa when they go for training it's all about how you catch the farmer doing something wrong to lower the payout, in manitoba you find ways in the rules to pay what's the payout supposed to be.

Well I think I *** gonna lose it.
                              Aren't these supposed to be funded the same?????

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.