• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold weather tips

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather tips

I was loading grain this morning at minus 30 and was thinking we should share tips that help in this brutal cold climate we work in . Heres one you may or may not know already . Ever since we got this 10" auger with 36 hp engine , it wont start at all after -20 . So i siliconed a piece of tin on back of engine block where it is flat and put a magnetic oil pan heater on it . I plug it and throw a couple old coats over it for a few hours . The other thing that works every time is to warm area under air cleaner with heat gun for about one minute . We always run 0w30 oil in it . And always loosen drive and hyd belts with handles . Works every time even at -40 .another thing that helps is to disengage drive wheels with handles and put a tarp strap on propulsion handle in drive position for 5 mins and warm hyd oil up . We fought with this the first winter and no one including engine manufacturer could help us .small engine repair place told us that they dont start very good at cold temps, lol

Good idea with the tin silicone. We took the plastic cover off the flywheel on the front and stick our magnetic heater to the flywheel. It seems to work wonders. There is no other place the magnet will stick.

Comment

We also use 0-30w oil. It would be real stiff without it

Comment

We are going to install a silicon pad heater on the bottom of the oil pan, it is smooth, not finned for cooling (Kohler 38 Command Pro) when the weather warms up enough to get it to stick properly. Will make sure the surface is real clean and give it a try. We have a space between the motor and auger mount to slide a battery blanket under and up the sides for now. Always put gas line antifreeze in the fuel tank and use synthetic oil as well. A battery blanket on a battery does miracles for spinning it over too. People complain about their augers icing up, I can honestly say we don't have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          We are going to install a silicon pad heater on the bottom of the oil pan, it is smooth, not finned for cooling (Kohler 38 Command Pro) when the weather warms up enough to get it to stick properly. Will make sure the surface is real clean and give it a try. We have a space between the motor and auger mount to slide a battery blanket under and up the sides for now. Always put gas line antifreeze in the fuel tank and use synthetic oil as well. A battery blanket on a battery does miracles for spinning it over too. People complain about their augers icing up, I can honestly say we don't have a problem.

Kohler 36hp spash some gas on air filter works like charm down to -30.

Comment

Case - get a solar powered heater to mount on your auger . Chucky will find you one .... 😂

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Case - get a solar powered heater to mount on your auger . Chucky will find you one .... 😂
              but, but ,but .... the sun never shone here from July -dec? lol

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                Kohler 36hp spash some gas on air filter works like charm down to -30.
                makes sense , ours is a 36hp kohler also , and it is a fuel problem because that heat gun on carb or injector for a minute starts it . worse cold starting motor I have ever saw

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  makes sense , ours is a 36hp kohler also , and it is a fuel problem because that heat gun on carb or injector for a minute starts it . worse cold starting motor I have ever saw
                  Ultimately installing a primer like on an ole Ski-doo would be best. Its seems to under fuel when cold, (no steam out of the exhaust while cranking). Out of desperation i poured a little gas out of the breather of jerry can direct into the carb. Worked but was a bit overkill, splashing airfilter seems to work nicely. Also make sure fuel hose is good at the connections, those spring clamps can let air in. Just changing out the hose and clamps made a big difference on ours.

Comment

The POS Koehlers have a spring that is supposed to close the choke. Choke usually sticks open, thus no choke even though you are moving the lever. If you have a top mount air filter you can stick your fingers in there and close the choke. May as well pull the 1/8" of ice out of the bottom of the carb while you are in there!!
                    We pulled the crankcase vent out of the filter and plugged the hole in the plate. A world of difference.

Comment

Try using premium fuel, you would be surprised how much water is in fuel screwing up all our engines

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
                        Try using premium fuel, you would be surprised how much water is in fuel screwing up all our engines
                        we have been doing that for several years , sure helps , these kohler are just a poor cold starter

Comment

Originally posted by saskshafe View Post
                          The POS Koehlers have a spring that is supposed to close the choke. Choke usually sticks open, thus no choke even though you are moving the lever. If you have a top mount air filter you can stick your fingers in there and close the choke. May as well pull the 1/8" of ice out of the bottom of the carb while you are in there!!
                          We pulled the crankcase vent out of the filter and plugged the hole in the plate. A world of difference.
                          Our Kohler acted same way, cranked but no fuel. Just as saskshafe said, removed vent tube from engine, starts every time even -25C. I won't go out if colder.
                          Another question are all your Kohlers, 999 CC, having terrible governor responses? This one dies when any load is applied, unless full throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                            Our Kohler acted same way, cranked but no fuel. Just as saskshafe said, removed vent tube from engine, starts every time even -25C. I won't go out if colder.
                            Another question are all your Kohlers, 999 CC, having terrible governor responses? This one dies when any load is applied, unless full throttle.
                            Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                            no this one doesn't do that was loading peas this morning right full at an idle , worked good . we had trouble the first year , changed plugs , seemed to help . one plug wire seemed to be faulty as well . I think the shitty wire was the real problem. I also installed an electric fuel pump that first year . those mechanical ones seem to give trouble. this one is a 36 hp , not sure of the cc? all in all have had a lot of trouble with this kohler , though

Comment

Try putting an inline 12 volt fuel pump on it. It made a big difference on mine.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...