• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beyond Cold

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond Cold

There are many who are out having to work in this cold weather - not by choice but by necessity because their jobs require them to be outdoors. Producers are no different. It's hard being outside even more in this cold weather because the animals are so dependent on us to survive in this cold.

Waterers freeze up, machines won't start and feed needs to be moved. Thankfully we got enough feed moved for the week before the cold snap hit, but we are still concerned about the waterer freezing. The temperatures are cold enough that if the wind blows from the right direction - it will be frozen.

Our house water is frozen right now and we are doing everything we can to try and find the spot that needs to be thawed so the water will flow once more. The house we live in is very old - over 80 years - and the pipes are probably not well enough insulated. It's got to give eventually, but when is anyone's guess. Thank goodness for heat lamps.

How are the rest of you faring in this cold? My heart goes out to those of you who are calving right now - it can't be easy. Normally we lamb at this time of the year, but this year we managed to convince the rams we didn't want to do it too badly and I am so thankful that we aren't lambing right now. Good luck with calving guys.

It is brisk to say the least! Minus 34 here this morning(minus 40 yesterday) with an invigorating wind! And guess what? I have to change an orifice plate on a gas well today! Hmmm maybe I can convince my son to trade me jobs today!
    Had a heifer calve at 3 AM this morning outside. I'm hoping she loves him because I had to put him in the calf box right away. Otherwise I guess it will be a rodeo!

Comment

Thank god for cattlemen, farmers, and a good hotbox!

Comment

We finally got the water going again this morning - boy did that feel good. I was concerned that the pipes might burst, but whatever we did appears to have held that in check. At least there isn't a pool forming in the basement yet.

That wind has been absolutely brutal and definitely isn't fit for man nor beast. Takes the energy right out of you too, so I can't imagine how a poor calving cow must feel.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.