• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybean yields in Sask?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybean yields in Sask?

Are 40 bushel beans a reasonable expectation in sask?

Sask is a big province. There are some constraints concerning environmental conditions during the growing season. Are soybeans even grown in your area?

Comment

I'd you're asking that question you haven't grown them before. 40 is a long shot for a first time grower here in sask.

28 would be a reasonable expectation deep in the south with good fall rains 35 could happen.

40 you would need your soil built up with rihzobia have an exceptionally long season and good fall rains to fill them.

Not impossible by any means but it isn't a yield I'd target.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
        Are 40 bushel beans a reasonable expectation in sask?
        We have grown beans in SE Sask since 2009. We have seen anywhere from 15 - 45bpa. Variety and field selection are very important.

I think it's reasonable to target 35, with 40+ being more bonus territory.

Comment

I agree with Klause it depends on lots of stuff de have had anywhere from 38 down to 12. August weather is the maker. Sask is big place but if your knew at it 40 is good goal but not a first year hit.

Comment

I too agree with klaus, budget for 28 bu first year. If your in the east south east of sask, on heavier soils and good rain fall in august 40 should be achievable in good years. Dont get greedy with big yielding long season beans, get a variety that will ripen before frost occurs. Also double inoculate them with granular and liquid.

Id also suggest getting them in mini bulk and order a few different varities, there is a lot of differences in bean varities, ie pod height, bushy vs tall types, heat units, seed size etc.

Id also suggest rolling your fields after planting so you can put the flex header right on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
              I too agree with klaus, budget for 28 bu first year. If your in the east south east of sask, on heavier soils and good rain fall in august 40 should be achievable in good years. Dont get greedy with big yielding long season beans, get a variety that will ripen before frost occurs. Also double inoculate them with granular and liquid.

Id also suggest getting them in mini bulk and order a few different varities, there is a lot of differences in bean varities, ie pod height, bushy vs tall types, heat units, seed size etc.

Id also suggest rolling your fields after planting so you can put the flex header right on the ground.
              Budget for 35, Definitely possible to hit 40 even 45 if everything is perfect. In my experience soy yields will be more stable vs canola yields. soy likes heat and will take lots of moisture needs a good rain in august at filling to make 40bu. Canola like cool and wont take much excess moisture. Dont need to diddle around with a bunch of varieties IMO look at seed guide and real world data and pick a couple good ones.
              Se sask will be a good soy area, moisture will limit yields on light land or in low rainfall areas.

for sure double innoc, liquid on seed and granular in furrow. Innoc has better roi than seed treatment.
              Last edited by bgmb; Mar 9, 2017, 20:13.

Comment

Beans are here to stay. Expect 40 plus. Nonsense about being new so don't expect a good yield. Don you not know how to farm? If not get out.

Pick earliest maturing variety first pick more than one variety because some suited to different soils more than others.

Always load up on the nutrients necessary if you don't soil test or variable rate no use trying beans. Obviously you must not be growing anything else either so don't expect beams to grow themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                  Beans are here to stay. Expect 40 plus. Nonsense about being new so don't expect a good yield. Don you not know how to farm? If not get out.

Pick earliest maturing variety first pick more than one variety because some suited to different soils more than others.

Always load up on the nutrients necessary if you don't soil test or variable rate no use trying beans. Obviously you must not be growing anything else either so don't expect beams to grow themselves.
                  I agree beans are easy to grow. easier than canola or wheat. basically do a good job seeding and get your inoculant on properly. Varabile rate = Negative ROI good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                    I agree beans are easy to grow. easier than canola or wheat. basically do a good job seeding and get your inoculant on properly. Varabile rate = Negative ROI good luck with that.
                    Let me explain variable rate in a simple enough way.

Same soil end to end of field soil test and throw out the variable rate.
                    3 different soils in the field, save money and make money not just for beans either.
                    If you can't afford to do it right get out. I ll buy you out and do it right, no matter what the weather is.

Go to your lender copy what I just wrote if your not big play the part as big make sure you have papers and papers showing the advantage of variable rate and that it is more important than weather or anything else. Guaranteed big loan to do it right.

Comment

Lol - troll

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Lol - troll
                        And I almost forgot to mention. Don't do anything I said unless you incorporate, that way if things go to crap you pay yourself big wage on the way out to handle the bankruptcy. FCC and the big banks like it this way. Very little equity required. If you go in as a measly little farmer with no variable rate documents etc etc. You will get next To no money unless you have 3 times the equity required. Don't be stupid. Farming is a tough profession. But easy if you re smart. I don't know what I m gonna do it's getting so tough everyone ripping us off.

I m sitting here in Arizona sipping my tequila while my lenders are worried about which one is gonna give me the most money to seed and buy out the Mickey Mouses.
                        Jokes on them Don't need a loan got a big big payout from agristability on two of the three corps we farm under.

Comment

Obviously not as successful as you make out or you would be using your own money versus the banks or the taxpayers.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            Obviously not as successful as you make out or you would be using your own money versus the banks or the taxpayers.
                            I don't need any bank I've had 4big years
                            But why would I not take a low interest loan when I can invest my own money and make more money than that interest?
                            No wonder the idiots whine on this forum.
                            No business sense

And as far as government money all my accountants have paid off several times over. I've made more money on government programs than some farmers earn in a lifetime. Why should
                            That money go to small farms that don't have a chance? It's what our society wants if it wasn't would I be able to do this? Are you jealous I have it figured out?

Some people make more money on going bankrupt than most farmers earn In a lifetime. It's what the system wants and promotes. Would you like me to post examples?

I know it's damn tough out there. We re always getting screwed.

Not sure if I should stay down here another 2 weeks, is that big storm over with?

Comment

the big wheel is right,our area is one of the worst in western canada,thats why we have 4 dealerships in our small town,competition for the biggest machinery.u might run into some of our welfare boys where u are big wheel.these poeple should be home soon to bragg about there free holidays.hmmm should maybe put there names on here.i wrote a letter to get all the names in our area and i was refused.anybody else know how to get the names?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.