• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mega farms

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mega farms

Simple solution for small farms --- start cooperating—many small farms could become a mega organization – don’t all chase the rainbow at the same time – think business not lifestyle.

Good luck. Maybe in a perfect world with no wild oats, $7.00 wheat, and bountiful bushels. It's like wishing for world peace. It's a nice a idea, but good luck with the logistics. Nevermind overcoming the pride running you own operation. There are way too many intangibles to consider. Business models are fine and dandy, but I'd really be suprises to see a bunch of farmers join to form a co-operative. Who get's first access to equipment on a late spring? Do you share all the procedes equally even though your land producers better than the next guys? Who's approach to farmign do you take? When do you seed? What do you seed? When you harvest? Who's do you harvest first? When do you sell? Do you vote on marketing? I could just imagine the disagreement that goes on. Successful business models have centralized management and decision making, because too many chiefs makes for an inefficient company. So who gets the power in the co-operative. Or is it going to be like a Hutterite collony where the boss is voted in. Your idea is oh so grand, but oh so non-feasible.

Comment

I really feel that more and more farmers do have to work together in order to succeed. The tought process has to be about how much more income you can make and go on a vacation rather than who is being taken advantage of or whose land produces more. Ihave seen a few farmers get together and make silage and bale hay. Together they did way more than they could have as individuals. Now I hope these guys sit together and dream as to what they could accomplish if they did all their farming together and then make the dreams come true. You can make farming a business and still maintain the lifestyle (with vacations).

Comment

Why do we as farmers always walk around with hat in hand begging for crumbs . Do you have any idea what workers in the oil industry earn. A very large percentage are in the 6 figure class and yes we need oil but what is more important food or oil. I get real tired of hearing that as farmers we have to produce for less ,cut costs be more efficant all the while watching the oil business and others such as financial instutions waste money like drunken sailors . What we need is someone to speak for us as an unit not all these people begging for pennies and pats on the head.
        I can get along with less oil and I can put off buying a new truck but by god I do have to eat, the margin for most manufacturers has got wider but we bascaly dont have one. So for all of you that say I can hang on for a yr or two I say shame on you why not put that determination into getting a better deal so you can get up off your knees and be proud of who you are and what you do.

Comment

I see my mega farm idea was vastly misunderstood ( sorry wrong choice of words).
          I mean small farmers still stay independent--- use your own equipment (only share if possible) and basically do your own farming, but cooperate in other areas like not competing in the marketplace or over producing products just to depress prices.

Government subsidies are just band-aid solutions and never solve the real problem that is always lingering in the background in this industry. Let’s not devote all our energy pointing fingers at who’s wasting or making money but look at ways we can help the farming industry to become a sustainable business. As the saying goes jealousy will get you no place.

Farm organizations should be run by good business people to help organize producers to maintain a good fair level of grain/cattle production as not to over produce and depress prices. At the present all these organizations know is to lobby the Government for subsidies.
          Farmers know the real problems and only they can solve them through producer cooperation and it has to be start at your own doorstep. ( I am sure this statement will be misunderstood, but kick it around and get me a blast )

Farmers should have meetings often to discuss marketing and production limits --- sell at realistic prices and produce crops/cattle in suitable areas --- cattle and grain farmers cooperate so the feed is at good levels and not a boom or bust situation as it has been. Develop a fair distribution system for hay, feed grain and straw and don’t rip each other off based on supply and demand.

Comment

Horse-I fail to see the comparison of the oil boy to the farmer. Most oilboys are just a person working with many more persons as a team to produce a product that the consumer demands and is willing to pay for. I have not seen a one man oil company working by himself and doing so because he likes the lifestyle. The oil company product goes through many other Companies before the consumer receives it--kinda like our farm product.

Comment

Strawboss: When you talk about how farmers should be all together to market their product, I think you are talking about the Canadian Wheat Board! Well that one doesn't seem to be flying too well? I hope you aren't suggesting a Canadian beef board?
              Raymond b: Personally I really like the oil lifestyle! Reclamation, hotshot, some operating, water supply. One partner, two employees on a contract basis. It's a wonderful life and the money is helpful.

Comment

The idea of producers working interdependently while at the same time remaining independent is one that I believe in wholeheartedly. I'm sure that there aren't too many that want to see all that they have worked for taken over by someone else and become nothing more than a laborer.

Having strong leadership in farm organizations is critical, but many times those that are asked to head up some of these organizations are ex-government employees, which is problematic for many reasons.

Sometimes the real leadership could come from someone who is on the farm with great ideas and a strong sense of direction and how to get there, but that person can't do the job because the farm is the first concern. There are those producers that take on leadership roles and I'm glad they do, but oftentimes they are those producers whose farms are doing well enough that they have hired help and can afford to be away for any length of time.

What would be our best case scenario for choosing leaders?

Comment

Cowman--so you are talking about the person or people like the guy trucking our animals to slaughter when you talk about hotshot, reclamation, contract operator etc. You are supplying a service to the oil industry. If this is the same as the farmer, I get lost in the comparison.

Comment

No I am not suggesting the Canadian Wheat Board, in fact I don’t like anything that is subsidized or controlled by the Government. Things that the Government has a finger in, is always haunted by equalization --- rob the successful and reward the incompetent.

Canadian Beef Board; maybe if it’s solely run by the beef producers with no Government involvement.

We don’t need the CWB or CBB, or have stringent rules for production and pricing.
                    Meetings should be informative by producers exchanging ideas for better farming practices, world and domestic marketing and production levels. Cooperation on a voluntary honor system would go a long way in solving some of the farming problems.

I realize this will never happen because farmers don’t like controls, may they be forced or voluntary—but its cold outside and I am just exercising my typing finger.

Went for coffee yesterday and the regular 15-20 farmers were discussing the farm and world problems, its amazing that a few that I know haven’t been to far past their farm gate are authority on everything—all the problems are created by the Government and farmers are good hard working people, that was engraved in my brain before I left the coffee shop.
                    All the successful farmers didn’t say much just told a few jokes and enjoyed their coffee.

Comment

Strawboss

I like the idea of farmers co-operating like you describe. Remaining independant but realizing the true value of what we produce. Those multi-national corps can only make mega bucks from our endevours because we produce and sell.
                      How do we convince those guys who get a mind fix on the problem which blames everyone but themselves.
                      All we need to do is co-operate on pricing
                      Charge what the market will stand like everyone else
                      I see the soloution but how do convinse those guys in the coffee shop.
                      It will not work without them!

Comment

Sadly, those guys in the coffee shop will likely take too much time and energy to convince from the start - later on when there is some success, they might join in, but until there is some success they would be an almost impossible sell.

Some people can never be convinced no matter what you do, so you go with those that are willing to take the risk and try something new. From there it grows and takes shape.

Comment

Linda
                          I believe it has to be a democratic procedure with nominations and elections to choose a farm organization leader.
                          I agree, it shouldn’t be an ex-government person—like a ex- agriculture minister or bean counter, also a has-been farmer that didn’t make in the real world ( heaven forbid if we end up with someone like that ) but I can see subsidy oriented farmers voting for that type of a person.
                          I would hope for a successful farmer that is maybe semi-retired, open minded, but aggressive and has traveled so he/she can relate to the pros and cons in the farming industry in different parts of the world. Success and hands on farming experience is the key qualification for this position—contract wages.
                          I nominate Linda.

Comment

Well, I believe we have this joint farmer deal. It's called the National Farmers Union. So how many of you belong?

Comment

Cowman
                              That is my point – there is no farmer cooperation no one wants to join – or maybe the reason is that the National Farmers Union is just a howling group lobbying the government for subsidies. I am a businessman not a welfare case.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...