• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marketing Challenges with Western Canada's Low Protein Soybeans.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketing Challenges with Western Canada's Low Protein Soybeans.

"oil content is very good" but protein is a bit low so the high oil doesn't make up for the low Pro? sounds like an excuse for our beans to be discounted at the farm gate. Cash bids are much better just across the line.

Comment

Agree bgmb , never been an issue with canola . Sounds like another easy rip off scam

Comment

on canola they say whine when the oil content is only 42.5% instead of 43 or 44 even tho standard is 42.

Comment

Funny we dont hear canola council of canada complaining the protein is too low in our canola becasue of the 43% oil some years.

Comment

How does Man/Sask protein compare to Montana/ND protein? Do we use same readings?

Comment

The speaker said, "it's an implied discount, but it's real". What the hell does that mean?

It's actually not protein per se that animal feeders need from soy meal, it's the amino acids that make up the protein, primarily lysine. How does lysine content in MB soybeans compare to beans from eastern CA or the US Midwest? Does Canada's soy promotors have that data? Are they doing research in that area? Should premiums or discounts be offered on lysine content?

Comment

Yep, and we grow 15.5% protein hrs wheat and graincos cap payment at 14.5%. You just cant win, its the canadian way.

Comment

I loathe the theft and disrespect. Grading is a ****ing joke with almost unattainanble specs at times. Maybe it's time for the endusers to adjust their expectations. But why should they if they can get a cheaper raw product by having unrealistic specs. Farmer advocacy.....who is defending our interests. Can you imagine how much value is being stolen from Producers under some of the current situations.

Didn't mildew and ergot specs change? Then don't say they can't for fusarium and vomitoxin. But in the meantime......
                  Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 15, 2017, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                    Yep, and we grow 15.5% protein hrs wheat and graincos cap payment at 14.5%. You just cant win, its the canadian way.
                    lol exactly, local elevator is 3 cents a tenth discount under 13.5 but only 1 cent a tenth above 13.5. Yeah that makes sense

Comment

So under those circustances if you had grain ranging from 13 to 15.5 px you would definitely be better off having a weighted average than selling each load on it's own protien reading. I sold wheat with discounts for px under a certain point and NO PREMIUM above another point. Nice!

Comment

This sounds like a make work project to get some check off dollars for "research"

The games continue

Iceman out

Comment

Who does defend farmers interests? I used to have connections with the Alberta Barley Commission. Listening to how they (Commission) was lobbying hard to have foreign material specs tightened down. I used to wonder who these guys were working for? Exporters? End users? Not farmers for sure.

Same with KAP. KAP looks at the political landscape and wonders how to please gov't by handing over farmers to adapt to new, expensive, unrealistic policies like carbon taxes. With KAP it's more like, elect a President, kiss govt ass, springboard president into cushy govt job, a la Earl Geddes, Doug Chorney, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            So under those circustances if you had grain ranging from 13 to 15.5 px you would definitely be better off having a weighted average than selling each load on it's own protien reading. I sold wheat with discounts for px under a certain point and NO PREMIUM above another point. Nice!
                            yes and most guys would push for an average. But if one farmer averages 13.0 and another averages 14 you can see where the money is made.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                              Who does defend farmers interests? I used to have connections with the Alberta Barley Commission. Listening to how they (Commission) was lobbying hard to have foreign material specs tightened down. I used to wonder who these guys were working for? Exporters? End users? Not farmers for sure.

Same with KAP. KAP looks at the political landscape and wonders how to please gov't by handing over farmers to adapt to new, expensive, unrealistic policies like carbon taxes. With KAP it's more like, elect a President, kiss govt ass, springboard president into cushy govt job, a la Earl Geddes, Doug Chorney, etc.
                              I am not sure, there are some farmers on these commodity group boards that are there for self importance/image. And there are others who are there for the right reasons. But really its tough to attract ppl to these boards for the right reasons its a pretty thankless job I think.

I personally think we need to forget commodity groups. There are two things I would like to see checkoff spent on #1 is unbiased 3rd party research #2 is lobbying government. So lets forget recipes, promoting canola oil, travelling to mexico and just hire some lobbyists and professional research nerds.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...