• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rural Saskatchewan the Afghanistan of the Western Hemisphere

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rural Saskatchewan the Afghanistan of the Western Hemisphere

As I drove through a part of rural Saskatchewan today doing some business I noticed some things in a different light. I drove down mainstreets that were basically deserted. I drove down highways that were in disrepair. I drove by schools that were closed and the windows and doors boarded up. I went through a couple of what used to be small villages with people and businesses twenty years ago that are virtual ghost towns now. It seems that we have went through a war, without guns and bombs, but a war nevertheless. We have seen a way of life dissappear before our very eyes all in the name of efficencies and the hell with the people. The farmers that are left are all controlled by the big agri businesses or the lending institutions. They need money for inputs to put in a new crop next spring so must comply to all their rules and regulations. Much the same as in Afghanistan where the warlords supply the money to grow the crops of the their choice,poppies to produce cocaine and opium. I don't know how to change it but see the similarities and the wanton and unnecessary decimation of an instructure and society to profit outside interests. Society and government have not only not interfered with this travesty but have in effect aided and assisted it by their complacency in the systematic destruction of a proud and honest way of life. I don't know how to reverse it, and wish sometimes that I wasn't so lawbiding because the time is ripe for the starting of a new revolution to take back control of our way of life. In this country though it can't be a revolution fought with guns but must be a revolution fought through the media and courts to change the laws that govern the operations of big corporations and other multi nattional interests. The ttime has come my friends and before all hope is lost we must unite to enact change.

Carebear 300
    It is not possible to turn the time clock back but we can always dream, but I for one don’t want to turn it back too far. Times were hard on the farm when I was a kid—no running water in the house—no electricity—wood burning stove to cook and heat the house— the battery operated radio used sparingly-- tune into the news broadcast—the odd hockey or ball game—the daily episode of the Green Hornet or the Shadow Knows.
    Walked to school 3 miles.
    All our food was farm grown and mom was an excellent cook so we ate well. We didn’t know any other lifestyle so thing seem normal.

People died at 70 from old age and now they die at 95 from eating the contaminated food we produce or buy at Safeway.

Ask your children if they are willing to stay on the farm and rejuvenate the old towns and its only they that can give you the right answer.

Comment

Carebear: You can't have a vibrant prairie economy without a source of income. Grain fed the engine. At one time there was farmer co-operation through the co-op movement.
      Unfortunately our politicians did not see the value of a stable and viable industry and through neglect and lack of will they let it die. We see the same thing basically happening in eastern Alberta, except we still have an oil and gas industry which has kept some of these small towns going.
      But like you I mourn the days of the small vibrant rural community. We have lost something very precious.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...