• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$400 M pea plant in MB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$400 M pea plant in MB

[URL="https://www.realagriculture.com/2017/01/french-company-roquette-building-400-million-pea-processing-plant-in-manitoba/"]https://www.realagriculture.com/2017/01/french-company-roquette-building-400-million-pea-processing-plant-in-manitoba/[/URL]

Im surprised this isnt getting built in SK.

Things looking up in a now non-NDP provinvce.

A German firm was suppose to build one in moose jaw....must still be waiting for the incentives.
    Last edited by bucket; Jan 19, 2017, 12:56.

Comment

Why not in sask, oh us stupid farmers will pay to ship them to manitoba

Comment

Manitoba's "business incentives"-ahem subsidies were higher than Sask. Will see if anything other than photo ops are produced. Nothing happens in Canuckistan without the participation of government. Why else would the announcement be at the leg? Really makes no sense in MB as all pulse land in MB will be producing soy in 17.

Comment

Great news for Portage...good news for Western Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            Manitoba's "business incentives"-ahem subsidies were higher than Sask. Will see if anything other than photo ops are produced. Nothing happens in Canuckistan without the participation of government. Why else would the announcement be at the leg? Really makes no sense in MB as all pulse land in MB will be producing soy in 17.
            Not enough peas in Manitoba, but maybe that will change.

Comment

Weber's chart in a previous thread only has Manitoba averaging 81500 acres of dry peas in the last ten years. Maybe that's enough for what this plant will need. But why wouldn't they come to were the bulk of the peas are grown?

I thought I saw somewhere there was 1.4 million acres of dry peas grown in Western Canada, you would hardly think Manitoba would be the place to build a pea plant with about 6% of the dry pea acres.
              Larry can you verify?

Comment

....at 100,000 tonnes of feed stock required, that will require well over half of the average acreage production.

Go West Roquette!!!!

Comment

Feasibility study likely done by some "scholar" for several hundred thousand is probably worth more than a hill of beans, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prairie Pea acreage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	765336Click image for larger version

Name:	Prairie Pea production.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	765337

Comment

OK first of all my 1.4 is totally out to lunch but if I correct my dyslexia, maybe it was 4.1, I may have been right in the first place.... can't say!

But it is ****ing obvious Manitoba probably wasn't the best place to build this thing.

Hill of soybeans sumdumguy?

Comment

How much is pea protein worth?
                        Plant 400M
                        Payroll 9M

And they are going to do 100,000 to 125,000 tonnes a year?

Comment

It doesn't make sense, they must plan on other proteins and don't want to attract attention?

"Do what I say, not what I do"

Comment

Yes, human/pharmaceutical grade is a whole different market

Comment

There are several reasons for the location other than where the raw feedstock is located. Some guesses would include electricity cost, access to feed markets for the less dense by-product (hog barns), who knows what prov gov incentives Isn't portage where the Premier is from? As far as logistics-trucks run to Lloyd with corn from winkler; now they can take peas back when not taking potash. Trucks run feed over to Lethbridge-take peas back. And perhaps if peas don't work out all the time they can do something with soybeans.
                              Ignoring the impact on the highway system, which was determined a long time ago by the two national railways, this is still a positive announcement for pea growers across the prairies-ripple effect of price/product demand will help all of us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.