• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTO ruling against Canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTO ruling against Canada

Charlie;

I see this:

"Jan 20, 2004 (The Washington Times - Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News via COMTEX) -- The United States yesterday and Friday won cases against Canadian lumber subsidies at the World Trade Organization, potentially helping the American cause during negotiations to settle the 20-year dispute.

"We are extremely pleased with the outcome in this appeal," Richard Mills, spokesman for the U.S. Trade Representative's Office, said of yesterday's ruling.

"The WTO ... upheld our determination that Canada's practices amount to an unfair subsidy, and they agreed in the key respects with the way in which we administered our trade laws in response," Mr. Mills said.

On Friday, a WTO panel ruled on another aspect of the long-running dispute, upholding duties on Canadian lumber, according to trade officials."

THis must worry the CWB since Canada lost the dairy WTO case... now on lumber... can the CWB be far behind?

I don't know if the WTO will find against Canada on the CWB, but Canadian farmers should be upset that the CWB tells trade panel one thing and Canadian farmers another.

It irks me when the CWB tells the panel that their main selling point is Candian quality, and you Have Art Macklin and company claiming it is their superior marketing skill which results in premiums for canadian farmers in these markets.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...