• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amusing responses to a CBC article

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amusing responses to a CBC article

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/women-agriculture-barriers-1.3878774

I seen this article floating around the other day and agreed with enough of what it was saying that I shared it on Facebook. My only caption to go along with it was "Lots of good points here."

Since then I've been fairly regularly entertained. No women have replied, they've just liked the post, as have a number of men. A couple of men commented along the lines that they've seen similar happen although it isn't as common as some would like to think.

Then there are a couple others who obviously didn't take the time to read the article and who, right from the get go, almost seem to be on the defensive. To the point that tonight I've been told it's in my head. I'm not even the one that wrote it, I just said I agreed with some of it LOL It's amused me greatly that some men are that upset by it that they've lowered to personal attacks (This wouldn't normally surprise me online other than the fact that these are people I know.)

Am I normally inundated with sexist discrimination? I wouldn't say so. The most common one would be comments along the lines of "You farm by yourself?" and "You don't have a husband?" which I usually apply more to the old school views that most women get married, not go through life single with cows. I don't take offense that they don't think I'm capable as I don't assume that's what they're thinking at all. And wouldn't matter even if they did, I was quite proud to fill in my census this year as a single, female under 30 running a farm. Even one as small as mine. What's to be offended about?

I could also honestly say that out of numerous agriculture jobs and applications, there's only one I can legitly say had sexist undertones. I could theorize in moments of grumpiness that others did as well but there's no proof there, just the one was blatant.

More often than not I've found that such comments are born more from surprise and interest than negative thoughts and discrimination. And it's not like they're just from men either. Men for the most part don't think to ask if I'm single or how many kids I have, not really a male point of interest, that's all female judgement LOL

So in summation of my rambling, late evening post, I guess that because I feel this way about the discrimination that does occur within the Ag industry - and any other industry - I am extra entertained by the select few getting huffy over it. Bet they would reply that I'm discriminating against them!

Girls are raised with the same "expectations" and "training" as boys on some farms. It used to be quite gender specific but not so much any more. They say girls make better equipment operators and probably more compassionate towards livestock. A solid partnership/relationship between the spouses, and being on the same page can create great synergy.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      Girls are raised with the same "expectations" and "training" as boys on some farms. It used to be quite gender specific but not so much any more. They say girls make better equipment operators and probably more compassionate towards livestock. A solid partnership/relationship between the spouses, and being on the same page can create great synergy.
      I agree.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Some are more common amongst one gender or another but neither has a monopoly on anything. Working together is the best way to utilize them all.

And for the most part anyone I've met who's an ahole towards women is an ahole in general.

Comment

My wife kicks my ass as a combine operator then has no mercy got an animal if suffering....shoot it she says.....

I've been told when my predetermined alzheimers kicks in.....it's to a home or hopefully the needle ......to the rock pile. .. no suffering for me or her....God bless her soul.

Great cook too....lol.

Comment

Bucket....then never forget her birthday or your wedding anniversary, otherwise you might have a date with that rockpile sooner than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            X2, right on...

Comment

My wife runs drill combine and anything else really in a pinch.... she's half this operation and some days I think more.

Women are more attentive and less rammy (always exceptions but I'm talking on average)...

Would hire a woman to be a farm helper before a man if we could!

I understand where some of this discrimination exists... sales guys company reps etc never talk to Darcy always looking for the man of the house well shit if Darcy doesn't agree were not buying / doing whatever they want anyway so you may as well talk to her too....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.