• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting into Beef

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting into Beef

Hello Farmers,

I am new in the Forum and hope this is the right catagory for my request.

Currtently I study agricultral sience in Germany, but will be on the move to Canada soon. After working over a year in New Zealand in the dairy Industrie I am keen on going into beef production.

Anyhow I have a few questions which I hope you guys can help me with, google wasnt very helpful.

Are there more feedlots in Alberta than grass land farms?

How do feedlot farms operate generaly? Do the most of the time just import feed or do the farm most what they feed by them selfs?

Is there the same amount of work during winter than there is in summer? Is there any season pattern? I will go in March to Canada and would like to catch the time where most farmers look for a farm hand.

How does a grass land (is that the right term I use?) farm operate in winter, I mean you guys get heaps of snow, dont you?

The most "active" area for beef is around Calgery am I right?
    What are the most common areas for Sheep?

Can you recommand any website for job listing for farm work? What are the names of big agricularal players (companys) in the beef production in Canada?

Also I would appraciate any recommandations on books or documantaries about farming in Canada.

Thank you for your time! I really do appreciate any help!

I would start by digging into the archives on this forum. They go back to 1999. Every problem, idea, and opinion possible is here. Including how to survive every possible disaster. By the time you get through that you will know more than most.

Comment

I suggest finding work on a beef farm here to get your foot in the door. hopefully you get a boss or friend who will help mentor you in starting to farm. Lots of farmers here are looking for good help, you can find jobs on [URL="http://www.agcareers.com"]http://www.agcareers.com[/URL]

Comment

Are there more feedlots in Alberta than grass land farms?
        If you mean grass finishing operations vs feedlots, then yes, many more feedlots. But just grass based farms? No. Pretty much all cow calf operations are range based with them being out on grass in summer and fed mostly forage diets in winter.

How do feedlot farms operate generaly? Do the most of the time just import feed or do the farm most what they feed by them selfs?
        Most feedlots will buy in whichever grain they use, wheat or barely usually. They will also buy in straw and/or hay. However they tend to put up their own silage a lot of the time, or at least some of it.

Is there the same amount of work during winter than there is in summer? Is there any season pattern? I will go in March to Canada and would like to catch the time where most farmers look for a farm hand. This will depend where you're looking to work. A feedlot is typically busier in the winter. They fill up with weaned calves in the fall during "fall run" and then feed, bed and process those animals until selling sometime in the spring/early summer generally. Summer is slower for them as they don't tend to be full, instead having empty pens so they can work on cleaning them out and getting prepared for fall again. Also chores such as bedding and fixing frozen waterers aren't applicable in summer.

Comparitively a cow calf operation will be steady in winter with feeding and bedding but their busy time is spring when calving begins. This would fit your March arrival well. Calving will gradually calm down into moving animals to pasture, checking on them and fencing and then end with bringing them home in the fall, weaning, selling calves and back into winter.

How does a grass land (is that the right term I use?) farm operate in winter, I mean you guys get heaps of snow, dont you? A regular cow/calf operation will house animals out on pasture during the summer months. When the grass quits growing in the fall the animals are brought home or to corrals or wherever the winter set up is. Calves are generally weaned at this time and then sold. Cows are fed a more forage based diet either through silage, hay, swath grazing, corn grazing, etc. over the winter and require regular bedding and checking.

The most "active" area for beef is around Calgery am I right?
        What are the most common areas for Sheep?
        There are many feedlots around Calgary yes, and then further south as well. But beef in general is fairly province wide. Don't really know about sheep. They seem spread out and not in any large numbers in most places.

Can you recommand any website for job listing for farm work? What are the names of big agricularal players (companys) in the beef production in Canada?
        The agcareers website mentioned is a good one to check on. Also Western Producer usually has good classifieds. Bigger names for feedlots around Calgary would be places like Cattleland, Lakeside, Strangmuir, Highway 21 and then there are smaller operations as well. Some even run cow calf and grain operations as well as the feedlot which would give a very good all around employment without having to go elsewhere.

You're welcome to message me if you like and I can get you a couple of contact numbers for places. Or even give a bit more details on some if they seem like something you'd be interested in.

Comment

hallo maxraem red your request about beef operation mostly large feedlots in south alberta area
          picure-butte small town close to lethbridge [ I have been trough the area and saw some of the most updated , modern large operation !
          click on VRP .com very large feedlots , and Canada,s biggest sheep feeding operation .
          apply early and you will have a job ! good people and learning place .

Comment

That should be [URL="http://www.vrpfarms.ca/en/"]http://http://www.vrpfarms.ca/en/[/URL]

Comment

thank you grassfarmer for your correct address re; feedlot vrp

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.