• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did your AV name come from?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started farming at 18 because I really wanted to farm. I ran my own lines of credit and circulated money for the industry. I expanded and worked harder and built bins and grew more grain and didnt make much profit. I was introduced to organic farming and with much objection slowly realized that business model fit well for me. I dropped all my rented land so as not to risk failure on those people's property.
    The farmers around me grew exponentially.About 3 years of decent crops and decent revenue I realized I was doing financially better than I was when conventional on less acres. Ergo, I am just a hobbyfrmr compared to the mainstream trend in ag. Im not really against conventional farming, I now see things from a different angle. Im just a guy trying to figure stuff out, pay for my shrapnel and keep the lights on. Not much different than any other farmer.
    Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Nov 7, 2016, 10:11.

Comment

Its a high school nickname I got in the 70s, still a few old friends use it.

I think I got it because I reminded my friends of Buzz Lightyear, "To Infinity And Beyond."

Really...not because of some of the other mischief we did when we were young and irresponsible.

Comment

Haha samhill. I think I will have to use that. I try to not swear around the kids. Now it will be "what in the samhill, I need more acres".

Comment

My name came from my Great grandfather whose first and middle names were, William Wallace, although spelt William Wallis. His brother was named Charles Stewart. Plus they wanted to call my Uncle, Robert Bruce, when he was born.

Interesting set of names. I just like the freedom connotation. Legs look good in a kilt too. Lol.

Comment

Nice story Braveheart....I picture you like Mel Gibson in the movie, painted face and big sword.

Not so creative here. My initials and hockey number.

Comment

You can thank jdgreen for mine...

Went to work in the patch for him... somehow got the nickname Klause because of my accent (Klaus.... is the fish.... in the American Dad show)...

It stuck with me...

I owe jdgreen a lot... probably wouldn't be farming in sask if it weren't for him... or met my wife.... or be as hot headed as I am... LOL.

Somebody mentioned hopperbin... still miss the crazy bastard and some days forget he isn't with us anymore... then get real depressed when what happened comes back.

His name came from wanting hopper bins... he was famous for piling grain on the ground.... 150k bushels at a time...

Comment

Klaus are you of German or Austrian decent?

Comment

thanks for starting this thread "sumdum". after losing hopper and cotton, it's nice to get to know agrivillers a iittle better. especially with the harvest we've had this year. this site has been a help for me knowing that others out there are "plugging away" as we are.
                  my handle came from a conversation with my father many years ago. we were pretty traditional wheat-summerfallow farmers and I went to university and came back with ideas to try different crops like canola and mustard. he didn't like at as we were "not suited" for canola and it would just blow away anyway. he called me "canolacrazy." I hung in there and some years the crop did blow away, but some years were pretty good, causing him to eventually come around to it.

Comment

My name came from a old nickname when younger, come to think about it was given to me after showering at hockey practice. Still don't know why i was given that name.

Comment

Starting about 34 years ago spent a number of years behind the wheel of an big rig hauling grain and fertilizer across western Canada and northern USA to subsidize our growing family and farm. Had the good fortune to travel many roads and highways that I would never of had the opportunity to see otherwise. Loved every minute of it but at 52 years young I'm glad those highways are now all in the rear view mirror.

Comment

Wtf, just realized why.

Comment

Originally posted by nibs1 View Post
                          wtf, just realized why.
                          LOL! too funny

Comment

......not too flattering of a nickname....should have showered with warmer water.

Comment

I chose my name , because of the fact that I have 2 1968 galaxies. One is a restored 68 Galaxie 500 2 door hardtop , and the other is a 1968 Galaxie XL 2 door fastback, with 42,000 original miles . I have been a Ford fan all of my life and This is what I do when farming , ranching , family , etc. aren't taking first priority!.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0115.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	765221Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	765222
                              Last edited by GALAXIE500; Nov 7, 2016, 14:15.

Comment

my farming area is called south australian mallee

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.