• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Settler software nightmare

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settler software nightmare

I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had serious trouble with Settler's FieldMaster & Field-mate software.
    They released Version 4 about July and has casused me untold grief. Both times while on the phone with support when I try to perform the upgrade the end result is it fried my operating system. First time it torched my millenium, cause unrepairable damage to a file system 32, which is for drivers.
    They told me to upgrade to XP, cost of repairs & upgrade over $500. After 3 months of trying to get field mate to work yesterday support had me try one more time and once again fried the system 32 file, this time in XP.
    They claim this has never happened to anyone else ever! Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?

You know the feild master has given me no trouble yet. I wonder if it's the palm pilot? did you try someone elses?
    The new version of agexpert is giving me some gliches on printing cash flow. I had to download new drivers & last night I was told that I would have to eventually upgrade to XP since 98 upgrades on done as of tommorow from Microsoft.
    I would keep on them & keep us updated.Since FCC is backing them they have the money to figure it out.You notice you can export info to FCC now? Betcha their will be no problems with that program!
    Good luck

Comment

I spent 4 hours on phone with them, still can't fix. I wouldn't even want to know how much their screw up has cost me! Tommorrow I'm taking the shooting match directly to Settler, computer,palm etc.
      In my opinion, Settler was a much better co. BEFORE Fcc bought them. I never used to have any troubles before that, and the people were really good to deal with. Now with FCC all they can do is say "I don't know" in BOTH official languages!

Comment

this sounds like you have a virus

Comment

danm: Good news...Microsoft has extended W98 support to July of '05 I believe.

Comment

Sorry, but I've got the latest greatest spyware & antivirus software, nothing like that's going on.
            A programmer from settler last night was sure the problem was in my data file some field maps were blank and that was the sole problem. They fixed the data file, e-mailed it back and told me problem solved and it would work for sure. IT Did'nt!!!!
            Then they had me remove field-mate which cause such a sever lock-up in XP(and xp seldom, if ever crashes) that no reset procedure would work, finally had to pull the plug for 2 min. At that point i refused to try anything further because they are not to be held responsible for any damages to computer!
            My trip to Settler has been delayed due to 2 hours of freezing rain, will have to wait till next week.
            OH JOY!

Comment

Without knowing the full details of this situation, its sounds like bringing your system in for AgExpert staff to look at is a good idea.

AgExpert has thousands of Field-Master and Field-Mate programs being successfully used so we know that the software works. Operating systems and hardware configurations can be very touchy as there really are no 2 system setups and total PC file configurations that are the same. Nonetheless, our job is to support the use of AgExpert software and ensure that we provide a problem resolution when problems occur. And we will continue to assist to that end in this situation as well.

Regarding corporate AgExpert, I advise that FCC's involvement has not inhibited the (previous Settler) staff's ablity to continue providing the great support we have always provided.

New versions of software and ever changing operating system sometimes challenge even the best support and product groups, but this has been an ongoing challenge to our business since beginning in 1983.

Rob Schmeichel
              General Manager, AgExpert
              (10 years Settler/AgExpert employee)

Comment

Wow, I was hoping to hook something on my fishing expediton...looks like I got a big one! LOL
                Which operating system do you feel it works on as I have 98, Millenium and XP?
                Call back times used to be between 5-15 minutes. Now they seem to average 15-40 minutes.(except when they know I'm really pissed!)
                So... inquiring minds want to know, when I bring in a fully working computer, do you guarantee it will work after the settler techs try once More. If not, I want to return the software for a full refund. I can't afford anymore repair bills due to sub-par software.
                If you think I'm being harsh, go look at my file to see what i've had to put up with!(you know who I am) If I don't get satifaction very soon... you ain't seen nothing yet!

Comment

A friend of mine pointed me to this sight because of concerns raised by the comments therein. I am a certified Microsoft and Comptia technician and have been for over ten years. I would like to clarify some misleading facts that raised some unnecessary concerns.
                  1. Other than some very malicious viruses, software does not "fry" an operating system. In fact what eventually gets fried is the hardware. Computers are comprised of many many electrical components - power surges including sudden power outages and lightning fry a computer. In fact, small "jolts" of static (which you can't feel)can fry a component - which is why technicians must be diligent in using proper anti-static techniques.
                  2. Having the latest greatest spyware and anti-virus does not mean much unless used properly. When was the last time you manually ran a scan your system?
                  3. Upgrading to Windows XP was a good thing - money well spent. ME was the absoulte worse operating system to hit the market - I will not work on computers that have it.
                  4. Microsoft extended support for Windows 98 and Millenium until June 2006 ONLY to allow people more time to upgrade their systems. Do not expect them to work well with new programs using the latest technology. They are going by way of the dinosaur - so for those of you thinking that this means you don't need to upgrade, that is not true.
                  5. Most support desk call backs are usually hours and sometimes days depending on the complexity of the problem. If they are getting back to you in less than hour, you are extremely fortunate.
                  6. Seems to me like you may be having some potential hardware problems. Only proper troubleshooting techniques will get to the bottom of the problem. Get a GOOD certified technician to run proper diagnostics on your computer and palm and work with the computer to see what could be the cause. Just because someone works in a computer place does not mean they are necessarily certified in hardware - A certification is a hardware certification. Patience is the key because some problems are simply not quickly fixed.
                  7. NO ONE has all the answers to computer problems - different manufactures use different quality of hardware and there are some pretty sub-standard systems out there which is too bad considering the investment one makes. Hardware and software work together and if the hardware is sub-standard, the software will not perform well either.
                  8. You are fortunate that you are able to bring your computer in to them - very very few support desks would allow that. They would simply refund your software and you'd be on your own.

I know that computer problems can be very frustrating, but it's only by working with the technicians to solve the problem will it ever get resolved. Over the phone support means you are their eyes and it is imperative to provide a much information as you can and answer their questions are clearly as possible. If you had called me and said that this software fried your operating system, I too would have replied "I don't know".

Hopefully I have clarified some things and I would encourage you to focus your energies on helping to get your problem fixed instead of raging a war (your comment: you ain't seen nothing yet).

I hope that the computer problem is successfully resolved.

Tom Sawyer
                  B.A., A , Network , MCP, MCSA

Comment

Hi Tom,
                    Glad to have your comments, someone with your knowledge has to be a good thing.
                    I did use the terms fry & torch as a very loose term to convey what happened without getting very technical. What actually happened is each time I try to install the hardware, the computer locks up and no unlock procedure I know of works.(I could get sidetracked and discuss the stability of the windows operating system but...) As a last resort, I've had to pull the plug and pray. Both times after getting computer powered up I get an error message that the system has had a major error in C:Windowssystem32 . I inverably try to have this error fixed by pro's but the end result has been the operating system must be removed and re-installed. Or quite simply fried.
                    As for my spyware and anti-virus, both are run autoscheduled tasks- once a week, new updates are downloaded, installed and then a FULL system scan, not just the quickie scan.
                    yes, I agree the upgrade was good but as I purchase a new computer every 3 years with the latest operating system, I felt it was over the top not to get at least 3 years from the latest operating system.(If millenium was THAT bad that their own techs won't service the system perhaps we should recieve an auto- upgrade?)
                    As for call back times- I've purchased support from them at a cost of around $200/per year including taxes. I expect good service when I'm paying for it. It's also the only software company where I have felt the need for that level of support. After 6 years you'd think I'd know how to run it.
                    One question on Certification, I was on the microsoft website, checking all my software. I can't find my Settler software there so I assume it either hasn't been submitted to microsoft for testing or wasn't approved for use with their operating systems. Do you know anything about this? (ps- I did also read the disclaimer there claiming that even if software is approved no one will
                    guarrentee it not to cause problems, it's just that I feel it's less likely to be a problem if it has been certified by microsoft)
                    I don't mean to brag, but when I walk into the computer store where I go, I deal directly with the owner and as for the quality it's the best he has to offer.
                    As for my declaring war, i'm getting the feeling of a snow job. I've relayed everything as accurate as possible but..
                    when I ask them about what may cause the problems with the system 32 files I was told several times that file is for drivers only and they do not install anything into that file so it can't be anything to do with their program.
                    I know for a fact that field master installs at least 3 files -
                    C:windowssytem 32comct332.ocx
                    qpstr32.dll
                    qparry32.dll
                    When I relize I'm being lead astray, it makes me wonder why? After all, they are trying to help me!
                    Anyhow I do appreciate your comments, as they caused me to go through my checklist once more.
                    Wish me Luck!
                    ps- just had to brag, just got my marks back on friday, a 2.00 grade on my computer repair and upgrade course!
                    It didn't make me a genius but rather prevents me from being stupid.

Comment

Two things more
                      1- my backslashes are missing from above post \\
                      2-my beef is with field-mate & master I happen to like Gold just fine.
                      I also give credit where it's due, since my first post here, the support has gone from poor back up to excellent.(Which is the level I expect!)
                      I'm sure this matter will be solved very shortly, stay tuned~~

Comment

First of all, let me commend you on acknowledging that the level of service has improved. That is a step in the right direction and I hope that you will let them know. A little sugar can go a long way!

As for paying for support, everyone does and getting a call back in less than hour is EXCELLENT support. Try calling Microsoft sometime....you'll be on hold for at least an hour and get charged $50.00 per call. As for callbacks, unless you are a big corporation paying big dollars for support ...good luck! Do not set your expectations too high for surely you will be disappointed.

As for Millenium, let me clarify...I am NOT a Microsoft tech...I am certified which means I have written the Microsoft exams, thus proving that I have some knowledge about their software. I do not work for Microsoft and it is a personal decision to not support Millenium. In fact, I wouldn't allow it near my computer and trust me my computer gets a real work out testing out different softwares! But that is my opinion only - you will find some techs out there that like it.

I don't know Field Mate or Master and I am not a programmer - thus will not attempt to answer anything that relates to the files that may or may not be installed. But I do know that system32 files are core operating system files that are installed by the operating system and only digitally signed (certified software) can overwrite these files. Therefore, if Field Master is not on the list, then it shouldn"t be able to overwrite these files IF that is the case. For more info on Windows File Protection and digital certification refer to this link:
                        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/system_file_protection.asp
                        Therefore, based on your information, it is not clear to me how this program can cause this problem. By the way, just because you couldn't find the software on Microsoft doesn't mean that it is good or bad - it only means that Microsoft tested it and it has met a certain level of testing. Whatever that means...other than someone has paid very big dollars to have this done. It still won"t guarantee that it will work with every system out there....like I said before - hardware and software must work together and with all the different type of hardware out there no software company (including Microsoft) will guarantee that it will work with EVERY system. Thus the disclaimer....Hardware is one of the main reasons why some people have problems with a software and others don"t. That is why proper troubleshooting techniques must be employed and one cannot jump to conclusions.

Sounds to me that your operating system for whatever reason has become corrupted and reinstalling it would be the sensible thing to do. It is not uncommon to do that. Files are files and they do become corrupt for a variety of reasons.Sometimes we never know why. But if reinstalling the operating system can quickly remedy the problem we just do it. No big deal. It's no different that uninstalling and reinstalling a program. Nothing to get too excited about provided you have properly backed up your data regularly.

Running a weekly scan with your Anti-virus is a good preventative measure. However, when there is an unexplained problem, the first thing to do is manually update the signature files and run a virus scan. So....have you done that to prove out that you don't have a virus?

Congratulations on your 2.0 grade. Does this mean you are working on your certification? If so, what certification are you working towards?
                        Good luck in future exams!! Having some knowledge is good but experience teaches good troubleshooting skills and that is an everlasting learning curve. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Comment

Well this didn't work as I had planned but here's the latest. I did take my computer to Regina, it spent 8 hours on the bench being tested. They found no hardware or operating system errors. I never made it to Settler as everything was closed by the time I got it out of the repair shop.
                          Once i got it home I found that it still wasn't working properly. Phoned back and was advised it wasn't worth doing anymore tests, that I should just format the hard drive and start over. To a person like me I find that maddening that i've never had a problem in my life before and suddenly have to format the drive twice within 6 months and the problem starting both times while installing the same software.
                          The owner of the repair site told me that it's not that the software is sub-par it just conflicts with my particluar computer hardware/software configuration.(This still doesn't make me feel any better)
                          While in Regina i purchased a 120gig external hard drive with software to create a perfect copy of my computer so I never have to do this again. But when checking with the company found it won't work quite that way, so I've come up with a solution.
                          I've ordered another internal hard drive. My computer will now have a total of 5 hard drives with 2 complete windows XP operating systems. I will run my farm books on one and my photo business on the other and use each to create a perfect copy of the other. Be like having two computers networked.
                          Sounds like a lot of work? try downloading over 40 hours of programs and updates twice in 6 months! The people who say formating is no big deal don't live in rural sask on dial-up!
                          Once this is done and i've created a copy of the farm drive I will try settler program once more.(There will only be 3 programs on it, all by settler and they had better work!)
                          I really hope no one else ever has a problem like this, it's almost enough to make me pull out my old pocket notebook and pencil!

Comment

Big difference between formatting and downloading programs - why don't you burn these programs to CD so you don't have to download every time -

As for the 5 hard drives - good luck - I hope you have done your homework in properly setting up RAID or you are creating yourself a ton of grief - this is not to be attempted by someone with little experience - even a headache for those who do. So if you have problems, don't blame the software. And no this is not networking computers....not even close. Whatever computer course you took...I would get my money back....

See ya!

Comment

How low can you go?(lets find out)
                              Well Mr. Sawyer, I was willing to let this quietly drop, but maybe it's time to take it up a notch.
                              Originally you entered this web-site designed for farmers to discuss issues on farming. From what I can tell you've never run Settler programs, never farmed, have no clue about anything to do with farming. I can only wonder who your "friend" is that sent you here. It's obvious your not interested in helping me with my problem, rather you seem intent on tearing me down.
                              As for your last e-mail, of course I backup every program I possibly can. If you paid attention you'd have realized I upgraded from Me to XP therefore most of my saved downloads wouldn't work on the
                              new Operating system. DUH! This time won't be as bad but I still will have to download several programs because of anti-piracy setups that are designed NOT to allow copying.
                              I have no use for RAID as i'm not interested in having several small drives appear as one large drive to my system. I WANT complete seperation from my photos,farm and backups. It's something we farmers call diversification!
                              Keep in mind Settler is making software for average farmers,not computer geeks.
                              Just today a large farmer was asking about a free trial of Agexpert he'd recieved and in the next breath, how he'd just sent his first e-mail! I'm a well known user of their products in this area, should I tell these people that until they have a university degree not to bother, no wait he DOES have a degree!
                              As for getting my money back you mean to imply I don't know S--t. I took a 3 month course, not to get microsoft certified or fix computers for a living.
                              I took that course as well as many other courses over the years to become a better farmer. The whole point of these courses is to have a basic working knowledge of all the systems we deal with. Today I believe a farmer needs to understand the basics of too many things to be an expert on everything. Knowing what we are capable of and knowing when to get proffesional help is half the battle. A lot of people claim to be qualified pro's but being able to tell the diffence between one who's out to help me or one who is out to get me....Priceless!
                              So the money I spent on my little course is well worth it. I may even send the instuctor a Bonus!
                              The last thing MY friend said when I was leaving his shop was "Do you really need that software?"
                              So why don't you tell YOUR "friend" to send me a refund on the software.
                              THE END!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...