• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybeans and strait cut canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybeans and strait cut canola

These are the only crops left in my area besides the odd field of corn or hemp. The guys that went hog wild this year in my area with these crops sure did not luck out if the weather does not change and turns to snow. Bigger operators have been putting tracks on combines and talk about ruts. lots getting stuck and giving up.

I would have been done or very close if not for a break down.

I went for a drive southwest of me on Sunday and could not believe they were pretty muck wrapped up. 3 weeks ago I was feeling sorry for them because I seen they had so much crop out. They are out off the crop insurance area for beans and hemp. They have real good and heavy land that they have to work up every fall... Almost none is worked.

Our soy always came off in weather like we are having now.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
      Our soy always came off in weather like we are having now.
      So you often have weather like this in fall? Yours is off because acres are very small there. Guys here are 30-50% in beans now. Except for two days we could not start until 1-2 and 8-9 we were finished for the day in beans. Some guys tried last Saturday even though they were testing 20-21% moisture but the mud got the best off them.

Comment

SF3's comment about normally taking crop off in these conditions (Beans)

What is the true cost of harvest in these conditions? Punching through tough crop that makes rotary combines bang, rattle and vibrate. One hour of these shit conditions equal what?---2 or 3 hours of ideal harvest conditions? But under the current circumstances what choice do you have? I know what it is like pushing under tough conditions during good harvest weather..... and now these are tough conditions under crap harvest weather. The poor "Iron Maidens" will have a shortened life because of it.

This is costing more all around, everything from drying, to taking a poorer price because of pushing it onto the market when it doesn't want it, to machinery costs, fuel costs, **** the list can get long and expensive.

Sometimes more isn't better if you end up outside the closed harvest window year after year.

(coming from someone playing in the minor leagues---but comfortable)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...