• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Soybean growers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Soybean growers

How do soybeans handle light/sandy soil? Just wondering if it would be better to put RR canola or soybeans on a field to clean up some weeds. Want to try soybeans next year.

Grow canola.

Comment

Why not put them on sand? Pour the liter on it, and if it's in a marginal area for maturity the stress in July should be exactly what they need? Gonna need late rain to finish them but at least the fert bill is more reasonable.

Comment

What part if the world are you in?

I'd grow beans but we also get the moisture to finish them in august.

Comment

I think about the same thing... how would soybeans do on lighter textured ground. They may do ok on some of our clay based loam but not the sand based loam. Definitely no guarantee of a "finishing rain" here! I always thought they needed alot of water. I'm still watching some neighbors experiment with them...they're having pretty good luck. Harvest "looks" easy but late. We would have the straight cut flex head to get real low for those bottom pods.

What surprises me is how the price seems to hold up quite reasonable for such a large volume widely grown crop. ..unlike wheat!
          Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 16, 2016, 06:28.

Comment

Are they at all alkali/salt tolerant? We have afew spots.

Comment

Beans like good dirt
              If you run out of rain / moisture in August on light land you will get very little

Comment

Thanks for the input. We are southeast sask and lots of neighbors grow them. I completely forgot about the late season rain to finish the beans. We do not always get that.

Comment

Exactly furrow. Canola is more elastic than beans. If the rain comes a bit late the canola will flower a bit more and can make up some yield. Beans need that rain in august too fill properly and on light land might take a shit kicking.

Comment

We are also in SE Sask and two trials of Soys were unsuccessful. They just never finished off. It has been about 8 years since then and maybe varieties are shorter season now, but on gumbo we couldn't get them in the bin.

Comment

...you need some ghetto land then sumdumguy.

Comment

Not sure if its the last few years or the bullshit around our area but there has been lots of 40-50 soybean yields. SDG, there are alot of good varieties out now. Farma, I know what ghetto land is like haha!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          ...you need some ghetto land then sumdumguy.
                          Like in Mexico? When you are down South, like in Phoenix, doesn't it surprise you? That red, baked earth actually can grow something. I know this as really off-topic but its raining out and I can't talk about combining😝

Comment

Soy bean varieties have changed a lot in the past few years. we are seeing far shorter season varieties than we used too. I would agree that the soybean need aug moisture. That can come from rain or soil. I believe with lots of moisture saved up in the soil the way it has been the past few years in a lot of areas that there is enough for soy.

Comment

Beans will tell you where your good land is.

4G, it won't be BS on the yields.

Cheap to grow, and will come back podding after a drubbing from hail (July 10) if any hint of a tiny piece of leaf remains on a plant. If it was flax that was hit like that on June 28, the yield is zero.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.