• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Stuff

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Stuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	1947 JD 55 .jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	777323
    Talked to Dad since and he said the 55 and a 12' JD PT swather were picked up from a JD dealer in Sylvania in 1947. Total cost for both NEW was $5500. Ran the 55 for 5 years, were not happy, traded for IH 125? Wow what a step backward!
    Truck was a lumber yard delivery, then the owner built the box, added the auger/drivers and custom trucked to the elevator for farmers. Grandpa bought it, no doubt impressed by the unit. Must have been a $1000 or so. Mercury with a Ford V8, used on farm till about 1966, like 20 years!

Comment

Above picture is my Dad custom combining in the States.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	765092

One of a few.

Comment

Newguy, does your last name start with "W"?

Comment

Nope.may have been a guy with last name of white on there though.

Comment

Up until recently, the oldest working thing around here was my Dad. He has finally slowed down enough that old age has finally caught up to him. He is physically wore out and can't do what he would like to....help do what ever he can to be useful and helpful. Now he watches intently...kinda sad. Just glad he is around to see the crop we grew this year....best ever. And the kid...gets to see the two extremes back to back. Last year was poor (but could have been worse) and this year was stellar. Good experience for an apprentice. What a difference a year can make.

Comment

Took off my first three crops with a 95. Good old machine! Someone had mentioned in another thread, how they used blocks to guide the grain trucks and old wooden bins in the 60's. I chuckled at that. That was me in the 90's.

Comment

Things sure have changed as i was also using 2x6's and old railway ties to back up to wooden bins. The other thing I laugh about is shoveling in the old wooden bins with the cross chains and custom patched floors and the dust...lol.

Comment

My Great Grandfather and Sons

Comment

Oldest threshing machine pic I have, Dad and Grandfather and the crew they had, custom threshed in the area, guessing mid 40's pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	threshing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	765095 We can still grow STRAW, but then was all NEW land after trees were cleared. All the land here was 90% trees as I am told, were mostly gone before my time. Farma, my Dad similar to yours at 94, drives out to watch and check. Still interested and always a farmer.
                      Last edited by fjlip; Sep 25, 2016, 11:19.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...