• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi-Speed Disc

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-Speed Disc

We had a 90 Bu barley crop get hailed out. About half of the straw is still standing and there is a mat of green growth. Will a hi-speed disc (Flaman rental) penetrate and do the job?

My experience would say spray and then hit it.

I did some protilling without spraying first this spring .....huge mistake.

Or work it and wait two weeks and then spray.
    Last edited by bucket; Sep 18, 2016, 05:52.

Comment

Depends on the make. If true hi speed disc ( not a vert till ) it should.

Comment

Just wondering why you didn't bale it. Wouldn't it make good feed? There's a young fellow at Vibank who has large silage machines. There must be some near you?

Comment

Well, we aren't big fans of seeing straw leave the land. Took a while for a hail adjustment. We have had a full plate trying to harvest around wet weather. We can combine a portion of the field. Have a sprayer coming Monday now. More rain in the forecast for coming week. I probably need to be educated between what's hi speed and what's vertical till.

Comment

I've used 3 different machines.
            The Horsch Anderson Joker. Disc gangs and feet style packers mixers. 4 yrs ago on pea stubble. Cut and buried well. Can go deep, easy to go too deep. Burnt a lot of fuel. I have 400 hp. Hard to wash off as a rental.
            The Salford. Zig zag?? style coulter blades individual mounted on spring load shanks with baskets on rear for finishing and mixing. Trash management only, not a tillage unit. Worked well at most speeds, but the faster the blacker. My favorite if trash is your only problem.
            The CaseIH turbo till. Again a high speed disc. Gangs only. Settable at any depth. Cuts and mixes well. Maintains well at shallow depth. ( 1 - 2 inch) Can be used to fix potholes and sprayer ruts. A reasonable tool for both purposes. Easier to pull and wash than the joker.
            The two discs left soil looser and blacker than you would want if its going to get dry. But I only used on pea stubble.
            I don't know how the Salford would work in major straw like a heavy barley crop hailed.
            I think thats the difference in definitions.

Comment

We use the turbo till as well , blacpowder is right on is assessment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...