• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hurry Book Your 2017 Canola Seed Today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurry Book Your 2017 Canola Seed Today

My retailor called me today to discuss a few things. The big talk was canola seed for next spring. ALL Invigors are going up $100/bag, or $10/ac. In one word it's CRIMINAL!! Where is the justification? I know that can do it because they can, but come on canola is so far from $10/bu and they up the price.
    My thinking is they know there is going to be cut in lentils so why not capture more coin out of the farmer. With huge acres in pulses this yr a lot grow canola on pulse ground so more opportunities to capture more from us. What does a guy grow anymore? High seed cost, high fuzz, rootrot and every disease imaginable.
    This increase is totally out of line!! Prices in all commodities are plummeting but our cost to produce these crops are escalating.

What you do is sell some land before the Chinese speculator is nowhere to be found. Look at the thread about PCS Agrium merger. The one and only purpose of that is to squeeze the primary producer.

Comment

Just wait....
      <
      >
      <
      >
      <
      UPOV91 hasn't had enough time to have it's full effect!

Comment

the whole system is like the mob take a little protection money because they can. Criminal is what it is. Our price is tanking and they still need there fair share.

Comment

Corn and soybean seed is close to $100 an acre, its only a matter of time before we see $1000 per bag canola seed.

Comment

All this shit show is thanks to a patent been given buy our Governments to have seed protected till the end of time 25 years yea that would of worked but till the end of time really. Yet for one second do farmers actually believe countries like Brazil and Argentina and Ukraine and Russia actually pay what we do for seed. Or do they brown bag most yet we have to compete against them.

Comment

Funny you know its fall when the seed reps find your farm again. Don't see them all year but just like clock work they show up with a little gift a free hat t-shirt bottle etc and hope and pray you take same as last year so they can stuff there pockets, ok break even and continue on there way.

Just like the leaves turning colour in fall the seed sales man appears.

Comment

**** EM.....sell out, I don't care. I'm not playing that game anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                  Corn and soybean seed is close to $100 an acre, its only a matter of time before we see $1000 per bag canola seed.
                  1000 per bag canola seed is a guarantee. Combines with a header brand new will be a million dollars in the very near future too. It is pure insanity. People go nuts over land prices but that is the leaSt of the worries facing farmers today.

Comment

Yea the equipment vs parts is another problem.

Consolidation in Fert and Seed and them and were dead in the water.

Fun times to get out.

Comment

High price or not, we'll be booking early. The technology in the seed is what has put our yields way up.

Comment

Not sure about that, I grew 75 bu canola 15 years ago. I grew 15 bushel canola 8 years ago when it was dry. It depends on the weather (moisture actually).

Comment

Right on you said it so right! It's the same shit packaged different

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                            High price or not, we'll be booking early. The technology in the seed is what has put our yields way up.
                            Good for you Braveheart, at least you have the courage of your convictions and don't talk out of both sides of your mouth.
                            It's not like anyone is forcing farmers to buy canola seed.

Comment

Ask yourself this, other than novel canola traits that have been released lately, when did it the "technology" no longer provide an economic benefit as the price of seed continues to ratchet up? Are the yeilds and agronomic traits that much better...than when? They'll never plateau? You don't think there is a point of diminishing returns to canola seed costs?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...