• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What crops are being grown up in the northern Peace?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What crops are being grown up in the northern Peace?

A friend on mine just got back from visiting up in High Level area in northern Alberta and said there was more farming up there than he would have guessed.

Anyone know what they are growing up there?

Never been that far north.

Wheat and canola. Same as everywhere else in north central Alberta.

Comment

they get 22 hrs daylight that helps

Comment

Remember Allfarmer that used to post on here? He was up in the Ft Vermillion/La Crete area where the AB Government sold huge areas of virgin bush that was duly converted to grow canola. Good soil under there but it's on the fringe for sure - not many miles from permafrost and its been severely, severely dry the last several years. It's 1000km north of Calgary too so long ways from markets and inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          they get 22 hrs daylight that helps
          So the crop never sleeps?

Comment

The long days were what my friend commented on and they drove up there on vacation. He said it was pretty far north.

Shows how inventive farmers are, give them some soil, sun and hopefully the right amount of moisture and presto, a crop.

A trip up this is now on my bucket list.

Thanks

Comment

I have been up there lots . nice flat land and looks like big farms . freight must be a bitch though. in June and July days are really long and that helps them get their growing degree days

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.