• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70 day corn

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70 day corn

Talking with some folks at a meeting over the weekend. Interesting to hear how many are trying 70 day corn variety from Monsanto. corn actually be a good rotation crop for us?

I have some interest in growing grain corn, mostly to break up these disease cycles were suffering from, whether it's pulses, cereals or canola. Would likely help lower the water table too and get the land back to a more workable state. But I think even a 70 day corn would give you a late harvest, not a lot of things worse, than combining in October. Also would likely need a third header to cut that corn too.

Comment

Originally posted by boarderbloke View Post
      I have some interest in growing grain corn, mostly to break up these disease cycles were suffering from, whether it's pulses, cereals or canola. Would likely help lower the water table too and get the land back to a more workable state. But I think even a 70 day corn would give you a late harvest, not a lot of things worse, than combining in October. Also would likely need a third header to cut that corn too.
      Plus 70 day corn is its Relative maturity. Basically how it matures to a known check variety. 70 days to mature in Iowa will be different than in Regina SK., and will still depend on CHU and growing degree days.

While much earlier, would still be risky in many areas, and without a dryer, and other considerations would have issues some years in many areas.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...